Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Stock Hood vs Carbon Fiber- Worth it?

Old 03-30-2003, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Hood vs Carbon Fiber- Worth it?

How much does the stock hood weigh on a 92-95 Civic Hatchback? How much does a carbon fiber hood weigh?
And do you guys think purchasing a carbon fiber hood is worth it?

Thanks for all the replies guys. Now I have some decisions to make. Thanks for all the ideas. My car's already fairly light. Weighs around 2130 lbs without me ( I only weigh 155.) It's a 1993 dx hatch w/ b18c1 with no ac or backseat.

[Modified by 57one, 4:33 PM 4/1/2003]
Old 03-30-2003, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock Hood vs Carbon Fiber- Worth it? (57one)

theres a pretty big difference and i think its worth it and plus i think the cF hood gives the car character but to each his own...MTK hates CF lol
Old 03-30-2003, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes it's worth it, at least to me.

Your OEM hood is so much heavier compared to a carbon fiber one, I'd say it's 15-20 lbs difference.
Old 03-30-2003, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock Hood vs Carbon Fiber- Worth it? (Hater)

Anyone know the exact weights?
Old 03-30-2003, 09:21 AM

About the same weight saved from swapping your battery for a lightweight unit. A car with CF hood and stock heavy *** battery probably isn't built for handling.
Old 03-30-2003, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock Hood vs Carbon Fiber- Worth it? (ckkl)

Depends on which brand of CF hood.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:42 AM
GENERAL LEE

Default Re: Stock Hood vs Carbon Fiber- Worth it? (Apex i ITR)

most CF hoods weigh 12-18 lbs.. stock around 30-35 lbs

its a huge difference
Old 03-31-2003, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock Hood vs Carbon Fiber- Worth it? (GENERAL LEE)

depends. ive seen "quality" cf hoods that totally defeat the purpose of being CF, the damn things are still heavy as hell themselves .

so your left to find a GOOD cf piece thats actually strong without being heavy (CF's intended purpose: something so light yet so strong, right guys?).

or

you could get a fiberglass oem style skin from mmrusa and paint it.

or

you could source and extra oem metal hood and cut out all the skeleton fron the bottom.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:53 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Stock Hood vs Carbon Fiber- Worth it? (JaeOne3345)

depends. ive seen "quality" cf hoods that totally defeat the purpose of being CF, the damn things are still heavy as hell themselves .

so your left to find a GOOD cf piece thats actually strong without being heavy (CF's intended purpose: something so light yet so strong, right guys?).

or

you could get a fiberglass oem style skin from mmrusa and paint it.

or

you could source and extra oem metal hood and cut out all the skeleton fron the bottom.
theres a few good ideas.... are you talking about laying carbon on the skeleton of the OEM hood??? How would you get it to bolt down??? and Form a tight seal?
Old 03-31-2003, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock Hood vs Carbon Fiber- Worth it? (purek9hybrid)

theres a few good ideas.... are you talking about laying carbon on the skeleton of the OEM hood??? How would you get it to bolt down??? and Form a tight seal?
nah just cut the metal from under the hood.

Old 03-31-2003, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock Hood vs Carbon Fiber- Worth it? (JaeOne3345)

whoa!! that it one of the coolest things i have ever seen!!
Old 03-31-2003, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Stock Hood vs Carbon Fiber- Worth it? (pyro_assassin)

be careful saying all cf hoods save 15-20 pounds, because there are a lot fo shitty made heavy cf hoods out there on the market...

some quality fiberglass or cf hoods can weigh as little as under 10 pounds total, compared to a 35+ pound stock hood.

also there are functional ram air hoods, like the one from cervinis which is fibergalss but maay not be superlight.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if the purpose was function over form?? YES go for it! a buddy once told me that if you shave 10lbs off a car, it translates into gaining 1hp (don't know if it's true though). so either get a CF hood or go on a diet and loose about 15-20lbs from your body.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:51 AM

Default Re: Stock Hood vs Carbon Fiber- Worth it? (mugen76)

if you got the money, go for it

i rather spend the money for the engine first before putting a cf hood on
Old 03-31-2003, 06:56 AM

Default Re: Stock Hood vs Carbon Fiber- Worth it? (moondoggy)

I personally think that if you have everything done to your motor and you are happy w/ the speed then adding a Carbon Fiber hood wouldn't hurt. You loose some pounds and in my humble opinion Carbon Fiber looks real sexy. But everyone has and is entitled to their own opinion. I say if you think that you car is almost "complete" then go for it. However, if that isn't the case then you should hold off and spend money on some other "necessities" like go-fast parts.

Scott
Old 03-31-2003, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock Hood vs Carbon Fiber- Worth it? (moondoggy)

go w/a fiberglass hood much cheaper and you could get it painted for the same price of a c/f hood Ive already seen 3 c/f hoods come apart on the highway all that was left was a frame. And they are so easy to crack the frame is really weak too, they only look good. Its not going to make you any faster.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock Hood vs Carbon Fiber- Worth it? (JALOP B16)

go for it....

the only damage that was left on the hood....... that is some strogn as ****...

its VIS hood FYI

[Modified by MickeeAgain, 4:03 PM 3/31/2003]
Old 03-31-2003, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock Hood vs Carbon Fiber- Worth it? (MickeeAgain)

Im going to say its not worth it. I bought mine last summer and just sold it. I am tired of the look, and the look is what you pay for with most of these hoods.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:09 AM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Stock Hood vs Carbon Fiber- Worth it? (JALOP B16)

"go w/a fiberglass hood much cheaper and you could get it painted for the same price of a c/f hood Ive already seen 3 c/f hoods come apart on the highway all that was left was a frame. And they are so easy to crack the frame is really weak too, they only look good. Its not going to make you any faster."
_______

I tend to disagree. Carbon Fiber is in a whole different class than oem hoods. They are both LIGHTER and STRONG. On a quality CF hood you can jump up and down on it and nothing will dent, shatter, or break. I even thing one of the bigger companies like VIS or Fiber Images has a test where they actually drop, run over, and jump on their cf hoods with no damages. The only time when a cf hood is weaker is in a wreck where it will shatter, as opposed to an oem hood which will bend. As for function, cf hoods can be as light as 7 pounds to 18 pounds where as oem hoods are 35-40 pounds.

just my 2 cents
Old 03-31-2003, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock Hood vs Carbon Fiber- Worth it? (Si-G93)

"go w/a fiberglass hood much cheaper and you could get it painted for the same price of a c/f hood Ive already seen 3 c/f hoods come apart on the highway all that was left was a frame. And they are so easy to crack the frame is really weak too, they only look good. Its not going to make you any faster."
_______

I tend to disagree. Carbon Fiber is in a whole different class than oem hoods. They are both LIGHTER and STRONG. On a quality CF hood you can jump up and down on it and nothing will dent, shatter, or break. I even thing one of the bigger companies like VIS or Fiber Images has a test where they actually drop, run over, and jump on their cf hoods with no damages. The only time when a cf hood is weaker is in a wreck where it will shatter, as opposed to an oem hood which will bend. As for function, cf hoods can be as light as 7 pounds to 18 pounds where as oem hoods are 35-40 pounds.

just my 2 cents
i provided evidence...... hehehehehheh btw... it didnt shatter like you thought it would.... jsut cracked....... see the picture i posted above.......

if you do get one.. dont forget to get hood pins....
Old 03-31-2003, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not worth it at all. Stock hood will fit better and you save 15lbs. 15lbs is not that much. Seems like most people get them for cosmetics and it doesn't even look good. If you race the car professionally, go for it. Otherwise, it's not worth it.

[Modified by madtownhonda, 4:58 PM 3/31/2003]
Old 03-31-2003, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock Hood vs Carbon Fiber- Worth it? (Si-G93)

just my 2 cents
Here is a video of a Fiber Images cf hood being jumped on without causing any damage. That shows strength and durability!!

http://www.mmrusa.com/jump.mpg
Old 03-31-2003, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Stock Hood vs Carbon Fiber- Worth it? (MickeeAgain)

carbon fiber hoods
Im sure this ? has been asked before but I saw a post awhile back about some hoods for sale shipped to your door for like $350-400? Does anyone know about this deal or any other good deals on cf hoods?Im talking about a 99-00 oem cf hood! thanks

If you think that the wieght loss will benefit you but you dont like the style you can always paint the hood. or not but hey do what you do!
Old 03-31-2003, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For me besides weight it's worth it. My hood needed painted. So instead of painting I took the cost of painting and figured it was really worth it. And the weight savings is pretty big when you compare the two!
Old 03-31-2003, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock Hood vs Carbon Fiber- Worth it? (DX Hybridizer)

and also when you work on your car... and incase your lil holder break or something.... and the hood drops on you.. it wont hurt htat much... not that it happen to me or anything.....

just imagine your hood stand broke... and now you have to work on your car... will you go through all the trouble of removing the hood.... or jsut hold the lighter CF hood.. ???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock Hood vs Carbon Fiber- Worth it?