stock honda muffler question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stock honda muffler question

i have a 94 civic cx.
jdm d16a. bone stock.

i'm planning to go turbo and i need to increase the exaust pipe to about 2.5-3 inches. i dont like loud noisey muffler at all and i was wondering is there anyway i can mod my stock honda one to make it pretty quite but effient as well?

like cut and replace the stock small oem pipe and replace it with a bigger one but still keeping the muffler. is this possible?
Old 01-16-2006, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: stock honda muffler question (lv6l)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lv6l &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">like cut and replace the stock small oem pipe and replace it with a bigger one but still keeping the muffler. is this possible?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The muffler will become the bottleneck of the system, not good. Especially for turbo.

Get an Apex-i World Sport. Very quiet, not loud at all.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stock honda muffler question (******)

I'm running 2.25" piping to a stock GSR muffler on an NA motor. There's really not much of a power loss. I had a straight thru muffler on there before.
Since you're going turbo, you definitely will feel a power loss leaving a stock muffler. Look into the Apexi or maybe RSR. Usually with turbos, the exhausts are quieter anyways.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there's no point in increasing the pipe diameter if you're keeping the stock muffler.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stock honda muffler question (kyden)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kyden &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there's no point in increasing the pipe diameter if you're keeping the stock muffler. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i know, i wanted to keep the stock muffler but mod it buy cutting a bigger hole and sticking a bigger pipe in. but i guess if you guys say it wont be working as well maybe i'll look into apexi or rsr.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stock honda muffler question (kyden)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kyden &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there's no point in increasing the pipe diameter if you're keeping the stock muffler. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's debateable.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:41 PM

U can purchase a Turbo Apexi worldsport muffler. It is sixed for turbo and it is quiet.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:44 PM

Default Re: stock honda muffler question (GRIP KING)

If you want to keep it stock quiet you could get an electronic cutout. It'll be stock sounding for DD, but you can open it up to let out the exhaust gases for when you boost/WOT. It'll be loud when open, but quiet when closed

I'm running a HKS superdragger. It's not exactly quiet, but it's not very loud either, especially since I turbo'd the car.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:45 PM

Default Re: stock honda muffler question (GRIP KING)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GRIP KING &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's debateable.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How? Unrestricted system until you hit the small diameter stock muffler, which will cause backpressure. It'll cause power loss in turbo applications.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what i meant earlier when i post is change stock pipe to 2.5-3 inches. and the stock muffler cut a bigger hole, take out the stock small pipe and weld back on a new bigger pipe to match the other piping, thats what i ask if its possible before.

because i have read somewhere in a thread in the pass that some guy mod his stock muffler, thats all.

what is the name of the apexi one, i'll search for it and see how it is.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stock honda muffler question (Everyones Hero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Everyones Hero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How? Unrestricted system until you hit the small diameter stock muffler, which will cause backpressure. It'll cause power loss in turbo applications.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guarantee you thicker piping vs. thinner piping will still allow less back pressure, even with the same muffler. Of course it will cause power loss as compared to a straight-thru muffler.