Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Stock Exhaust Price?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stock Exhaust Price?

Uhh question, how much would u pay for a muffler - stock for a '95 EX? And a new cat converter?

I don't want to buy used from a junkyard (especially the cat b/c it's probably 70% clogged already) and I have a B-pipe (friend of mine totalled his coupe). So I just need the muffler...wanna buy it new...called Midas today and they said they can put a Midas one on there - new, for circum 211 dollars....Now there's not a chance on a cold day in hell I'ma pay that much for a muffler - lifetime guarantee or not.

So anybody got any advice? I'm leaning towards not wanting help from Cali pple b/c their emissions tests are stricter therefore have different standards as far as exhausts go. Though if one could help I'd still appreciate it. I have the whole thing except the tip basically - think it's a little passed the axle back - so it'll have to be welded. Other than that I just wanna replace my stock cat (with another stock cat...since it's 11 years old) and put a stock muffler on it. N1's too loud + I have it sold.

I looked it up:
http://www.slhondaparts.com/im...3.jpg

It doesn't look like they sell just the muffler. Looks like the sell the whole B-pipe setup, and the whole exhaust setup, but not just the muffler :-\.

Which doesn't make any sense. In case you don't know what I mean it'd be numbers 16, 26, 40, 24, and 23 basically. And oh, let's not forget the second part, #4, the cat converter...ONLY 679 DOLLARS!!...what a ******* bargain..

Anybody help me?

211 for a muffler...680 for a cat?

What the expletive is this? I'd expect these prices if I was driving a ******* Ferrari....So basically I have to drop 900 dollars (WITHOUT LABOR) if I want a stock system in there? That's ******* horse ****, that's a quarter value of the whole damn car .

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And please don't say "go to a junkyard" because half of them will be rotted out and ****...tons of carbon build up...the cats will be clogged, everything will be "stuffy" - Blah...

I'd appreciate any help.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Stock Exhaust Price? (Syndacate)

You could always check the classifieds here and buy a used muffler which can be bought for pretty cheap. As for the cat, you can buy a new one from some online places here. I'm not sure which, but some other members can chime in on that.

Then take the parts to a custom exhaust shop and have them install it for you. I actually bought an OEM exhaust for my coupe for 70 bucks here on h-t and had it installed and some welding for 50 bucks. $120 sure beats the $900 they quoted you for. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock Exhaust Price? (libero)

Hrm, thx, maybe I'll post a classified when I get some free time tomorrow....680 for a cat is rediculous on so many levels...

Lemme rephrase, 680 for a cat on a <u>civic</u>

It's a ******* '95, I don't even have to pass any emissions tests in NY, I should just put a resonator there (tho I don't want my exhaust to smell really bad )

680 - I can get a whole new ******* longblock for 680.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:16 AM

i paid about 500 for my catback stock exhaust. 160 for the muffler at one place and the rest at another.total with labor. i could have found it in classifieds for about 200 but i needed it right then. a peice of the pipe had broken off in the pipe and was rattling around driving me crazy.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:25 AM

Default Re: (kala4nia)

I bought a B series cat at autozone for i think 60 bucks new with bolt up applications ready to go.

140 for new pipe and a flo-pro muff

and then 100 for a resonator because it was buzzing

300$ everything new, with install out the door

Old 08-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wspcivic)

Hrm, so u think I should try autozone, eh?

I don't need some super exhaust..I just need one that's like or similiar to the one that comes stock. I'm not sure if I wanna put a cat or a resonator on there, I have no emissions tests to pass so I'm not concerned about that. It gets raspy though if you remove the cat and it's louder (I had to gut the cat on my ford probe). I wanna put a resonator pipe in there just to keep it quiet but I heard it makes the exhaust smell really, really bad (no cat). I didn't smell anything...out of the ordinary when I gutted the cat on my probe though.

I want to go back as stock as possible, I have the B pipe, just need the muffler (part #'s I mentioned in the first post)..and I'm just thinking that since the car is going on 12 years old it's probably due for a new cat or something, because the other one's probably clogged to **** from 12 years of carbon buildup.

Any other advice/help/answers..way I can get this one w/o breaking my wallet.

$680 for a cat...while you can buy a whole new brand name exhaust with a test pipe in place of the cat - INSTALLED for less than that .
Old 08-23-2006, 12:38 PM
cute little bastard

No junkyards by you?
Old 08-24-2006, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock Exhaust Price? (SkoundrelUSA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No junkyards by you?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually no, but even if I drive to one, the exhaust is bound to be rusted, possibly holes, possibly rot, and tons of carbon build up...
Old 08-24-2006, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you check the dealer? I replaced my 93 Si hatch a few years back Oem was all I could get with out having to wait some thing like 2 weeks. I pay $125 for it an honda was backing it with a life time warranty