Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Best engine and transmission swap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 09:04 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best engine and transmission swap?

I'm building a 1998 Honda Civic DX with my step son and I'm looking to do an engine and transmission swap. I've looked around and haven't found a straight up answer but what is the best combo to drop in (I intend to throw them on a stand and mod them before install) I want to put in a DOHC right now its running the base D16 SOHC. What would be my best options as far as race combos.

Last edited by toyomatt84; 10-18-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best engine and transmission swap?

What is your intended use for the vehicle?
Old 09-11-2018, 02:56 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no best. All have advantages and disadvantages which will vary depending on the person's viewpoint. At the very least throw a budget out there if your intent is to "race" with it, maybe even define what kind of racing you're talking about.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:09 PM
Trial User

I guess what im saying is what is the most compatible combo of engine transmission and we intend to use it for sprint races and honestly its not a budget thing its more an over time project
Old 09-11-2018, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Look into H2B swaps.

H22 with (ideally) a 98-01 spec ITR transmission (4.7 final drive) would kill. All ITR transmissions come from the factory with an OEM helical LSD as well, not quite as robust or aggressive as an aftermarket LSD but it's good enough to start with and certainly better than an open diff.

Older ITR transmission would also work, and come with the LSD and 4.4FD. B16 transmission is also acceptable, has the same gear ratios as the older ITR transmissions but without the LSD.

Note that H22 engines have FRM cylinder walls, you cannot simply drop in a set of aftermarket pistons without sleeving the engine. You can keep the stock pistons however, and still do aftermarket rods/bearings on the bottom end, get everything balanced, and still have a very stout and capable engine. Basic cams and valvtrain on the head, plus good I/H/E, and you've got a killer little 2.2L with plenty of torque.

B20VTEC is also acceptable.

Google different engine builds, as well as what I'm mentioning here, and look through build threads to see what other people have done and the results they're getting from it.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:59 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Chance EG
Look into H2B swaps.

H22 with (ideally) a 98-01 spec ITR transmission (4.7 final drive) would kill. All ITR transmissions come from the factory with an OEM helical LSD as well, not quite as robust or aggressive as an aftermarket LSD but it's good enough to start with and certainly better than an open diff.

Older ITR transmission would also work, and come with the LSD and 4.4FD. B16 transmission is also acceptable, has the same gear ratios as the older ITR transmissions but without the LSD.

Note that H22 engines have FRM cylinder walls, you cannot simply drop in a set of aftermarket pistons without sleeving the engine. You can keep the stock pistons however, and still do aftermarket rods/bearings on the bottom end, get everything balanced, and still have a very stout and capable engine. Basic cams and valvtrain on the head, plus good I/H/E, and you've got a killer little 2.2L with plenty of torque.

B20VTEC is also acceptable.

Google different engine builds, as well as what I'm mentioning here, and look through build threads to see what other people have done and the results they're getting from it.
Awesome man thank you i was looking into b16 models and the f22 but wasnt really sure how i was gonna go but honestly that sounds like a great build for me and him to work on and for him to cruise in
Old 09-11-2018, 08:12 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

h2b?? man just get a f20c mated to n rsx type s tranny...
Old 09-11-2018, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts

F23 block + H22 Head + K-series pistons = G23
Then get a B series transmission and an F2B/H2B adapter kit.

I’ve heard that this combo is mad and is not for the fainthearted. Really research it before attempting.

With it, you get rid of the frm crap of the H series block and gain the advantages of the much easier to machine F series block. And you get the DOHC advantage of the H series head. The K series pistons bump the compression up, but if you’re going FI you might not want that. And you get the B series transmission. This gets the best of all things.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:45 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Freedo_Civegra

I’ve heard that this combo is mad and is not for the fainthearted. Really research it before attempting.

With it, you get rid of the frm crap of the H series block and gain the advantages of the much easier to machine F series block. And you get the DOHC advantage of the H series head. The K series pistons bump the compression up, but if you’re going FI you might not want that. And you get the B series transmission. This gets the best of all things.
I don't think OP has this kinda money, patience, thought process of planning ahead and still expect **** to go south attitude, research capabilities to do this. Does OP?
Old 09-12-2018, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
I don't think OP has this kinda money, patience, thought process of planning ahead and still expect **** to go south attitude, research capabilities to do this. Does OP?
You’re just mad because there isn’t any D16 stuff in that setup, Tony.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:47 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by tony_2018
I dont think you need to jump on and insult me. I've always been intrested in moding imports and my step son is as well, we've finally got a project car and im just asking advice of more expirenced mechnics because im not to proud to ask for advice from those who know more when I only know the basics. I've done engine and transmission swaps before but never this scale or for racing just daily drivers/beaters. You don't know me so don't insult my intelligence if your not here to lend a hand then dont comment man. This is why most people don't ask and destroy cars because they're afraid of being talked down to or treated like they're stupid by ******** like you because they're noobs. If you didn't intend to be rude then I appologize but you needed to word if differently, if you did (it really seems like you did) then just don't comment nobody needs your input.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:52 AM
Trial User

What does FI mean bud? Thats whats up man that sounds awesome plus i can get it a piece at a time and start from nothing which is what we want. I appreciate your and everyone elses help and advice it means alot. Where i live you get treated like an idiot if you dont know everything about your or all cars so you all have really helped thank you all.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:55 AM
Trial User

Also i was going to use an ITR trans could that still work or should I go with the B series?
Old 09-14-2018, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by D/L Builds
What does FI mean bud?
FI=Forced Induction. Turbo or supercharger (or both, i don't judge)

Originally Posted by D/L Builds
Also i was going to use an ITR trans could that still work or should I go with the B series?
ITR=Integra Type-R. it's got a B18 so an ITR trans is a specific B-series transmission.

If you're planning to tear into this thing and use it hard, and it sounds like you are don't rule out more available b-series gearboxes (other than ITR). they have good support for LSD upgrades as well as alternative ratio sets. may be cheaper in the long run too when stuff starts breaking.

H2B and F2B is a good option. Rice Brough Performance makes some great stuff for that setup including a plate-less adapter solution.

Also for inspiration, check out Speed Academy on youtube. they did a series a couple months back on a K20 swap into a civic like the one you're working with. a later video discuses the most economic ways to source a K-swap.

something else to at least take a look at is a J-series (V6). mount kits are available from guys like Hasport and Innovative. PinkBatman did one it his Fit and I'm pretty sure he's tracking it.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The Brough performance H2B/F2B adapter kit is the better one to get. If you get any of the ones that come with a plate, you’ll have to clearance the driver’s side framerail so that the engine will clear.

You could do a V6 build, just don’t go with the J30 like I did. Great motor, but tricky to rebuild due to the fiber reinforcing of the cylinders like the H series used.

Dont get too mad at Tony. He’s a good guy once you get used to his weirdness.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:50 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

OP in all honesty, I would start with the B series. Play with that awhile and then move onto the more hybrid setups. What you learn from the B series will help you be more prepared for the advanced hybrid setups.

The B series offers a solid reliable setup for you to play with that is quite economical when things do break. The experience will be invaluable and prove very helpful moving forward.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
OP in all honesty, I would start with the B series. Play with that awhile and then move onto the more hybrid setups. What you learn from the B series will help you be more prepared for the advanced hybrid setups.

The B series offers a solid reliable setup for you to play with that is quite economical when things do break. The experience will be invaluable and prove very helpful moving forward.
This is wise advice. I did that when I first got into Honda swaps last January.