Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Stock b16a2 with litlle mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock b16a2 with litlle mods

hi guys,

in a B16a2 (ek4) stock, can i make this mods without changing the oem intake manifold and run with no problems?

-CTR/ITR 2000 cams
or
-Blox A + ajustables camgears + valve springs

+

- Itr 4-2-1 jdm Exhaust manifold

And at the end, Ecu tuned.

Regards,

Dotz
Old 11-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock b16a2 with litlle mods

yes.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep the CTR or ITR cams will make more power more top end cam be found with a ITR intake mani or a Skunk2 but is not needed in any way. Be sure to upgrade to ITR valve springs or better when you go the cams.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi, with CTR cams i need ajustables camgears?
Old 02-08-2012, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^no.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I made a mistake. Im not talking about 4-2-1 but 4-1 jdm itr instead.

What do you think?

First:

ctr cams+ itr valve springs. Need to tune for best results.

Then, Tegiwa carbon air box, jdm 4-1 headers, b pipe and itr exhaust. Tune again.

Maybe its better to do it at inverse way and tune just one time.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:56 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Waste of money if you ask me but you can do it.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got a edelbrock performer x intake manifold on my d16......yes its Still a 1.6 Sohc but top end vtec owns the hell outta 1.6sohc with just air intake and exhaust.. if it was me i would go with an edelbrock than skunk2 manifold, just throwing on my two sense.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:21 PM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by Steezer
i got a edelbrock performer x intake manifold on my d16......yes its Still a 1.6 Sohc but top end vtec owns the hell outta 1.6sohc with just air intake and exhaust.. if it was me i would go with an edelbrock than skunk2 manifold, just throwing on my two sense.
And you make what kind of power with these mods?
Old 02-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
And you make what kind of power with these mods?
Enough... for an intake manifold i got for $50
Old 02-20-2012, 04:38 AM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by Steezer
Enough... for an intake manifold i got for $50
So you don't know.

OP this is what I told you in the a PM.
"I'm going to give it to you straight. You have NO IDEA what kind of power these things are supposed to give you. You just think they'll make power because you are just copying what the rest of the knuckleheaded people are doing. I've seen dyno sheets with people doing mods more extensive than you and they spend lots of money for very little power gains. You have a torqueless B16a on top of everything else. It is the crappiest B-series engine you can put in your car. You could mod a D-series and it would make more torque."
Old 02-20-2012, 04:56 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 02-20-2012, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

grumblemarc, that pm was for me and Steezer?
Old 02-20-2012, 06:43 AM
The Grumpiest

It was reposted here for BOTH of you and anyone like you. Slapping on parts and hoping for the best is plain idiotic. Convincing yourself that they worked is pretty nonsensical too.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok man.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont get what grumble marc is trying to say.... are you telling me that Im wrong for suggesting modifications, Cause you think it wont make any power gains?
Old 02-20-2012, 11:55 AM
The Grumpiest

Yes and no. Because you have no idea how much power, if any, you're making, I'm suggesting you are just like many that slap parts on cars because you think or heard that they make power but have absolutely no idea how much. I don't care how much or little you spend, that makes no sense to me. I boosted my car and I knew EXACTLY how much power I was getting out of it.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought that upgrading to CTR/ITR cams were a pretty good OEM upgrade. And the ITR 4-1 manifold was another one.

Grumblemarc, most people who bought their honda's learn at some point. Almost everyone who joined this forum wanted to get something out of their cars. Some work with what they have, so can afford more. I've seen how you slam D series for not being a B in one thread and slam a B16 in this one rambling about how a D can build more torque. Seriously!?! I would love to see a D that mod-for-mod will make more torque than a B. The stump pulling torque of a D, I wonder why this wasn't thought of about 10-15 years ago. If you spend more than 1$ required to keep the car running right, you are wasting money. You Turbo kit is a waste of money if you think that having it in a 15+ year old honda is the thing to do. In the end you have a modded old econo-box that is probably worth less than 3K. The part that doesn't make it a waste is the enjoyment that people get out of researching, planning, buying, installing and driving their car.

The OP was probably wanting some people who have done some mods. He wasn't just slapping on parts, he was actually researching about what he can do on a Honda tech forum. Imagine that, Tech on this forum, not ball busting on hating on almost every post.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by morbius18
I thought that upgrading to CTR/ITR cams were a pretty good OEM upgrade. And the ITR 4-1 manifold was another one.
ITR cams on a stock b16 will do little for performance. Raising compression, and using lumpier cams with upgraded springs, along with a good tune will make some good results.

the jdm 4-1 header will make a "little' bit of power on the high end rpm on a stock b16, but don't expect much more than 5-6hp. You will also lose ground clearance, as it will hang down below your engine, as it was designed to mount on the taller p72 block
Old 02-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, What marc says is mostly true.. Now im not strapping on some pom poms and trying to be a cheerleader here, but

The B16a Is the worst bseries. It has no torque and might as well be a D.
a 1.6L 16V is basically the same. Some will argue horsepower this, horsepower that..but people who know better know that horsepower is a magical mythical number. Torque is what everyone should be looking for.

Your tuner doesnt tune on HP curves and if he does, he wont be tuning for long.

I laugh when people swap in a b16 for the Y8, Y7, Z6, etc..
B16 is nothing but a noise maker. Every noob wants a B16 and everynoob thinks its a race engine and thinks they can get 300HP out of these things.

Now where they shine is up top, especially boosted. The 1.6 in either D & B is great on boost.

So if not boosting, and NA B16 will get spanked by quite alot. Kids rev em up, but theres no torque up there. Any real racer will tell you the B16 is the last place to look for power.

Ill take a 250whp/230tq over 300whp/175tq any day of the week.

Last edited by EsotericImage; 02-20-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
Torque is what everyone should be looking for.

Well said, me too!!
Old 02-20-2012, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
Well, What marc says is mostly true.. Now im not strapping on some pom poms and trying to be a cheerleader here, but

The B16a Is the worst bseries. It has no torque and might as well be a D.
a 1.6L 16V is basically the same. Some will argue horsepower this, horsepower that..but people who know better know that horsepower is a magical mythical number. Torque is what everyone should be looking for.

Your tuner doesnt tune on HP curves and if he does, he wont be tuning for long.

I laugh when people swap in a b16 for the Y8, Y7, Z6, etc..
B16 is nothing but a noise maker. Every noob wants a B16 and everynoob thinks its a race engine and thinks they can get 300HP out of these things.

Now where they shine is up top, especially boosted. The 1.6 in either D & B is great on boost.

So if not boosting, and NA B16 will get spanked by quite alot. Kids rev em up, but theres no torque up there. Any real racer will tell you the B16 is the last place to look for power.

x2 i blew my single cam non v...that's why i passed up a b16 for 400 with alot mods which i could care less... and instead i went to the junkyard and got a b20 for 500 with 6 months warranty....sorry but a b16 on my ej6 4door will be slow as f*ck and garbage ....just cuz it got "DOCH VTEC" lol nah man i rather have a ls over a b16...wich i hate ls motors lol
Old 02-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree on the torque, but why doesn't everyone slap in a b20 and be done. Putting the largest motor in the smallest car has been making power as long as there have been cars. We're not talking about dedicated race/track vehicles here. Street driving < 2 liter motors. Its asinine to be arguing over 200cc for a street motor. In a 2300 to 2600 lb car .2 liters will make such a minuscule difference for 99% of the driving that will be done.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:16 PM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by morbius18

Grumblemarc, most people who bought their honda's learn at some point. Almost everyone who joined this forum wanted to get something out of their cars. Some work with what they have, so can afford more. I've seen how you slam D series for not being a B in one thread and slam a B16 in this one rambling about how a D can build more torque. Seriously!?! I would love to see a D that mod-for-mod will make more torque than a B. The stump pulling torque of a D, I wonder why this wasn't thought of about 10-15 years ago. If you spend more than 1$ required to keep the car running right, you are wasting money. You Turbo kit is a waste of money if you think that having it in a 15+ year old honda is the thing to do. In the end you have a modded old econo-box that is probably worth less than 3K. The part that doesn't make it a waste is the enjoyment that people get out of researching, planning, buying, installing and driving their car.

The OP was probably wanting some people who have done some mods. He wasn't just slapping on parts, he was actually researching about what he can do on a Honda tech forum. Imagine that, Tech on this forum, not ball busting on hating on almost every post.
Show me where I ever flip flop on one over the other. I think you missed my point entirely. There are a bunch of people putting parts on cars with absolutely NO idea what the end result is going to be. Then they ask what kind of power they should or would be making. And the people you're asking can't really tell you because hardly any of them have done any runs on a dyno, if any. They can tell you how they THINK they made power by way of the butt-dyno or wallet dyno but that's all. No more. No less. You're reading a bunch of other stuff into it that wasn't said.

And PLEASE stop telling me that sitting on the motherload of all Honda resources on the net asking to be spoonfed instead of doing solid reading is actually research because if you are then you're smoking something.

Quick Reply: Stock b16a2 with litlle mods