Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Stock 93 DX Hatch will not start

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 08:32 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Stock 93 DX Hatch will not start

Let me start off by saying this. I am NOT a mechanic in any sense of the word. I am a cyber security analyst by trade and computer geek by nature... However I like to learn to do things on my own, so this car has been my project. So please, when explaining anything.. Don't go crazy with the mechanic terms that a non-mechanic will just scratch their head at.. Just being upfront here...

Setting the stage..
The car cranks but does not start. I was originally told it was the ECU, but I have replaced that with one I recieved from a mechanic at the honda superstore near my home town. It is getting fuel and compression, but not getting spark.

I have replaced the distributor with one that came off a running car. it's an aftermarket distributor with a clear cap. When cranking it over, there is clearly no arc in the distributor. I did the screwdriver test by pulling the plug off the first spark plug and setting it close to a ground and cranking it over... Still no spark.

Thought maybe the distributor was in fact bad (something happened between the running car and mine maybe?) so I "borrowed" the distributor from a friends 93 DX hatch and still nothing... Put his back on and he's still just fine.

The battery in my car is very weak and barely holds a charge, so I've had to have cables hooked up to my other car just to work on this one, so I am getting a battery for it today, but I don't see that being something that would keep it from getting any spark at all.

So I am now at a loss. I'm not sure where to go to from this point. Someone mentioned the main relay? But went off on mechanic talk and lost me, then they went on with their day and left me scratching my head. So I have turned to honda-tech... The place I have been going to since I started this project when I needed to do a little research...
Old 10-14-2015, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Stock 93 DX Hatch will not start

Originally Posted by kupholder
when explaining anything.. Don't go crazy with the mechanic terms
A cyber expert is unaware of Google?

The battery in my car is very weak and barely holds a charge, so I've had to have cables hooked up to my other car just to work on this one, so I am getting a battery for it today, but I don't see that being something that would keep it from getting any spark at all.
Replace the bad battery and go from there. If still you get no spark, then test whether battery voltage reaches the coil and igniter unit inside the distributor.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:59 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by RonJ
A cyber expert is unaware of Google?

I am very aware of google. And the many things I've been following on google have so far lead me in no proper direction. All test have passed, except still no spark. I will be getting the battery today, been waiting until funds freed themselves to go pick one up. I will update after work once i've dropped it in.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am very aware of google.
So if a member here posted a term you didn't understand, you would not use Google to obtain the meaning?

All test have passed, except still no spark.
Details? What tests and what results? If you want help, you must provide detailed information.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:15 AM
Trial User

So if a member here posted a term you didn't understand, you would not use Google to obtain the meaning?
Yes I would

Details? What tests and what results? If you want help, you must provide detailed information.
The tests mentioned in my first post, including comparing the readings of the multimeter on the distributor to the specifications I found online. They are in-line with what they should be. (Small spring inside the distributor, I assume is the ignition coil?) As for the igniter unit, I am not sure what that is or where it is located so I will be researching that after work also. All of the distributors I have put into this car all have accurate readings from the multimeter, and it spins just fine when I crank it, but never arcs like it should. So it seems to be something before the distributor that is causing the issue, but I very well could be wrong.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes I would
Problem solved, right?

The tests mentioned in my first post, including comparing the readings of the multimeter on the distributor to the specifications I found online.
Where specifically in your first post are these tests and results mentioned?

They are in-line with what they should be. (Small spring inside the distributor, I assume is the ignition coil?)
The coil spring distributes high voltage generated in the coil to each of the plugs. You have no spark, so of course you detected no voltage there.

As for the igniter unit, I am not sure what that is or where it is located so I will be researching that after work also.
It has 4 wires attached to it inside the distributor.

All of the distributors I have put into this car all have accurate readings from the multimeter
Again, vague information like this^ is unhelpful.

If still you get no spark, then test whether battery voltage reaches the coil and igniter unit inside the distributor.
Did you read this^ in post #2?

Old 10-14-2015, 09:48 AM
Trial User

Thank you for the Diagrams. I am going to come back with much more detailed information when I get off of work. Possibly even a video so you can clearly see what I am talking about vs what i'm typing. I am losing something in translation I am sure because this has been a 2 week process so far due to time restrictions.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for the Diagrams. I am going to come back with much more detailed information when I get off of work. Possibly even a video so you can clearly see what I am talking about vs what i'm typing.