Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

stock? or is it

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock? or is it

yes i searched and i just sold my car so i gotta buy 1 asap. so here it is..
i Im about to buy an 99 hatch rly nice but i got a few things im not sure of.

1 its a 99 and the kid says its stock motor but its vtec. the block says its a y7. so dosent that mean its got a mini me? and if it is a dif engine was it converted odb1?

2nd is that the engine bay is kinda like rly dull and dosent match the paint(silver) looks kinda like a misty white was the car painted or did they not paint engine bays?

3rd. check engine light is on and he says its because its got skunk2 exhaust and it throws the o2 sensor?

4th. bogs a little bit. its got a skunk2 cam, so shouldnt it have a tune? could that be the problem?

5th. he says 99's didnt come with a tach? true/faulse?

6th. he just put jdm fogs on it, but its not wired. do i have to run the wire through the fire wall.

im really in a tight situation rite now any help would be greatly appreciated. no flaming please thanks in advance!

-matt
Old 06-25-2007, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stock? or is it (mattv)

What is your budget like?

After reading all the pointers that you have listed...I suggest to just get a stock vehicle.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:43 PM

i need something that at least droped w/ simple mods. i wouldnt even have time to lower if i just bought a stock car because of my schedual. but i still need these answers to make a resonable decision. thx
Old 06-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mattv
1 its a 99 and the kid says its stock motor but its vtec. the block says its a y7. so dosent that mean its got a mini me? and if it is a dif engine was it converted odb1?
First, figure out what he's trying to sell you (Trim level equivalent). What do the VIN's read? Do you see a VTEC Solenoid Valve? Maybe take a picture of the guy's Engine Bay? Just wait a little for NOFX. She's got all the details...

2nd is that the engine bay is kinda like rly dull and dosent match the paint(silver) looks kinda like a misty white was the car painted or did they not paint engine bays?
If it were stock, it would be the same color as the exterior.

3rd. check engine light is on and he says its because its got skunk2 exhaust and it throws the o2 sensor?
Either tell him to fix it, get the DTC yourself, or move on... These things can be too much to deal with for anyone, regardless of experience. Unless you have a lot of time, the right tools, and the car is ultra-cheap, buying a car with a CEL is a sure way to run up your "unexpected" costs.

4th. bogs a little bit. its got a skunk2 cam, so shouldnt it have a tune? could that be the problem?
Again, this could be down to anything from the CEL and/or the dood's install and/or worn parts, etc... If the guy gets the CEL fixed, and problems like these go away, then . Otherwise...

Some did, some didn't. But if it's supposed to have VTEC, and if it's supposed to be stock, then it's supposed to have a Tach... NOFX, please school me if I need it... (EDIT: overlooked "hatch" in OP)...
No hatch had VTEC stock... No hatch had a Tach stock...

6th. he just put jdm fogs on it, but its not wired. do i have to run the wire through the fire wall.
If it's REALLY JDM, then it should use a harness. The OEM Foglight Harness (in the Engine Bay) will plug into the Engine Harness via a 1-pin connector near the Washer Fluid Reservoir (Brown Connector, Blue/Red Wire), and the Switch Harness (in the Cabin) connects to the Main Harness near the Under-The-Dash Fuse Box, as well as the Combo Switch wires by the Steering Wheel. Check the Switch itself... should look like this (Gray is OK)...
http://img401.imageshack.us/im...5.jpg

With each excuse the guy gives you, you should add 2 days and $200 to your car. Basically, the guy isn't very well-prepared to sell his car, and you should be equally unprepared to buy it. Check the VINs, the Engine/Tranny stamps, and check up on 'em. It won't tell you EVERYTHING that *might* be wrong with the car, but it will help answer a couple of key questions...

What is he selling, and what is he TRYING to sell you? After that, you can make a better decision. Hope it helped!
JasonGhostz
Old 06-25-2007, 07:00 PM

1. hatches didn't come with VTEC.
2. My hatch is silver but the engine looks like the way you described it...i dont' know...
3. I don't know.
4. I don't know.
5.True. DX's hatches didn't come with tachs. NOr CX's
6. No. Everything is plug and play. All the connectors should be in the engine bay and in the bottom of the steering wheel.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1.Stock motor is Y7 which is non-VTEC. Maybe it's a mini-me. Do you know for sure it has VTEC?

2. Well My Midori engine bay is dull compared to the exterior.

3. I believe if it's after the 02 sensor then it shouldn't throw a CEL. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

4. I don't know much about cams

5. Hatches I don't believe came with tachs. Maybe some did. I know my EK CX didn't. I have swapped in an EX cluster though and now have a tach in the cluster.

6. Look up the instructions from somewhere.

There hope this little bit helps in some way.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: stock? or is it (Damon Reeves)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Damon Reeves &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is your budget like?

After reading all the pointers that you have listed...I suggest to just get a stock vehicle.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep...or else find another guy bro. The car your looking at will give you major problems.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Techy)

without repeating some info, i don't know why the hell he put a cam in that thing, especially if it's without a tune. That would definately adversely affect the way the car feels/drives.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

don't buy this car the guy is totally bs ing you
Old 06-25-2007, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boost_V)

Try somebody else and buy a totally stock car. Then pay some shop to drop your car on a good suspension setup.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:11 PM

i know for a fact its vtec. honestly im not a total noob. i had 500+posts i forgot my passwprd on my other account after my old comp crashed and had my pw saved, sry im under trial.(not that it matters) but i rly like the car and im located in nj and i cant use H-T marketplace yet and i HAVE TO AHVE A CAR for work etc so i cant sit around and wait for a good deal to come up. im stuck and rly need help =\. + i lovee 99-00 hatches after all my years owning EG's i think its time to move on for once
Old 06-25-2007, 10:30 PM

Default Re: (mattv)

If it has VTEC than it is not a competley stock motor the block and internals may be stock but that aside its not completely stock. When he put the new cam on he may have messed up the timing explaining bogging issues, The new exhaust should not screw with the O2 sensor unless he got a replacement cat as well that did'nt come with the bungs as only the Cat has the only O2 sensors in the Exhaust system. No 96-00 hatch came stock with a tachometer or a VTEC engine except the CTR which obviously was not produced or sold in the US, Every hatch does have the wiring for the tachometer in the cluster harness all you have to do is replace it with a cluster that has one and it will work. If the foglights are True OEM JDM foglights or DEPO they should be plug and play the plug for the lights is in the Engine bay and is a 1 pin clip. Oxidation occurs anywhere on a car and the engine bay is no exception dust, dirt, grease, oils, and other motor fluids get all over the engine bay no matter what as the years go by and dull the paint if not propperly cared for. take a damp rag and wipe down an area of the engine bay and the paint color will reveal itsself for a short period of time but dull back up in minutes. As far as I know no hatches came stock white but dont hold me to that.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

car isnt lookin too good man
Old 06-26-2007, 09:07 AM

It mattv. maker of this post. sry i just made my friend an account so he let me use his because i cant post for 24hrs and i rly need to know this info now so i can go about getting this car.

so what i HAVE to know b4 i buy this thing is if the 02 sensor could throw the code. i know it has the o2 sensor off the headers. but the cars slammed and i cant see under it to check for 2nd one.

i do have a crashed 94ex coupe in my drive way w/ a low mile d16z6 in it which is better than the y7 i believe?(please correct me if im wrong) that i can get swaped by my buddy so it wouldnt be a big deal.

and if someone could tell me if the cam could be making it bog and or if i could put the cam in my z6. yes im making single cam slammer. im buying a turbonetics turbo and hole kit off my friend for damn good deal

i search all 19 pages of H-T marketplace till 3am last night looking for a car any where in the tristae area.. no luck so im kinda stuck on stupid rite now

thx for any help! -matt
Old 06-26-2007, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (a budman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know for a fact its vtec. honestly im not a total noob. i had 500+posts i forgot my passwprd on my other account after my old comp crashed and had my pw saved, sry im under trial.(not that it matters) but i rly like the car and im located in nj and i cant use H-T marketplace yet and i HAVE TO AHVE A CAR for work etc so i cant sit around and wait for a good deal to come up. im stuck and rly need help =\. + i lovee 99-00 hatches after all my years owning EG's i think its time to move on for once</TD></TR></TABLE> If you really want the car, get it. It doesn't sound like it's in too bad of condition, and may be worth it since you plan on fixing it up anyway. How much does he want for it????
Old 06-26-2007, 11:25 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I couldn't tell you about this. You should ask the seller more questions ("The Y7 is non-VTEC. Did you do a conversion?" "What head is it?" etc.) and maybe get a few photos to post up here.
Vogue Silver Metallic is usually brought up the most in this respect. All Civic engine bays look duller than the exterior paint unless the engine bay has been repainted. The VSM (Vogue Silver Metallic) engine bays I've heard many people ask about because the color seems "off" to some. This should be stock paint though.
The exhaust isn't doing it. Both O2 sensors should be in cat and before on the Y7. Sounds like he might have a bad O2 sensor. I'd get the codes read before anyone buys this car.
Trim (CX, DX, EX, GX, HX, LX, Si) has more to do with what the cluster looks like than year does.
It depends if they're OEM foglights or aftermarket. If they're aftermarket, it's possible. If they're OEM then they'll plug into the harness that all '96-'00 Civics come from the factory with.

I'd steer clear of this car. Car sounds like it needs some work and the guy's either not sure of what it needs and is likely an idiot (even if you don't know cars, you should know your own modified car) or he's shady.

i need something that at least droped w/ simple mods. i wouldnt even have time to lower if i just bought a stock car because of my schedual. but i still need these answers to make a resonable decision. thx
I'm sorry, but that sounds highly unlikely. If your schedule is that big of a deal, ask a friend to do it who has done it before or pay a shop to do it (which will likely take longer than a friend who knows his ****).

I'd stay away from this car. Current form sounds like it could quickly turn into a bucket. It's likely to be a money pit since this guy sounds like he wouldn't tell you all the problems even if he knew them all.

If you get this car, don't be surprised to find out he "didn't know" about all the other issues and parts that need to be replaced.
Originally Posted by JasonGhostz
First, figure out what he's trying to sell you (Trim level equivalent). What do the VIN's read? Do you see a VTEC Solenoid Valve? Maybe take a picture of the guy's Engine Bay? Just wait a little for NOFX. She's got all the details...
Thank you, though I'm far from having all the details. One day I'll know more.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:50 PM

thx for the info. well he sold the car last night apparently even though he said hed hold it till thurs. but o well, glad i didnt buy it now.

i checked all through HT market place already. but any1 got 99-00 hatch in the tristate for 5g's? : |
Old 06-26-2007, 02:16 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thx for the info. well he sold the car last night apparently even though he said hed hold it till thurs. but o well, glad i didnt buy it now.

i checked all through HT market place already. but any1 got 99-00 hatch in the tristate for 5g's? : |</TD></TR></TABLE>
Um... which tri-state area?
Old 06-26-2007, 02:19 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Um... which tri-state area?</TD></TR></TABLE>

True, many states have a tri-border meet.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Um... which tri-state area?</TD></TR></TABLE> haha yeah, which one. Check http://www.craigslist.org for some cars. In my area there was one going for $4100 in pretty decent condition.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:28 PM

thats the douch that sold the car i was gonna buy. there are no other 00 hatches
Old 06-26-2007, 10:54 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats the douch that sold the car i was gonna buy. there are no other 00 hatches</TD></TR></TABLE>
So do you live in NJ?
Old 06-26-2007, 11:02 PM

yes i live in jersey . and if u have info/questions could u try to get them all in at once this 5x posts aday sux. and i cant figure out my old pw

thanks -matt
Old 06-26-2007, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i am in PA and we got some nice 96-00 coupes around here for around 4k no hatches tho
Old 06-26-2007, 11:27 PM
H-T White Ops

http://www.cars.com/go/search/...=true
1997 Civic CX hatch
72,606 miles
Automatic Transmission
Vogue Silver Metallic
$5,995

http://www.cars.com/go/search/...=true
1999 Civic CX hatch
79,327 miles