Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Stipped Nut On Alternator Ground. How to get off??????? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/stipped-nut-alternator-ground-how-get-off-1803634/)

b18cEK 11-07-2006 04:25 AM

Stipped Nut On Alternator Ground. How to get off???????

Problem is that the alternator ground nut just spins... wont tighten (probably not enough to get a good ground for the alternator to work) and wont come loose either!
If this ground is loose, would it cause the alternator to not work, and the battery drain even if the car is off?

And how do I get it off without heating or cutting

Civicman86 11-07-2006 04:28 AM

Is the head stripped or the threads?

IF the head is stripped they have a tool you can buy at Sears. If its the threads it will have to be cut.

b18cEK 11-07-2006 04:32 AM

Re: (Civicman86)

how do i Know if its the head or the threads?
all I know is that the nut just spins... it won't loosen or tighten

Andres-eh2 11-07-2006 05:13 AM

might need to get like an impact gun on it or something that will spin the nut quickly.

thesmogman 11-07-2006 07:08 AM

Re: (ej8pwr)

Try to wedge a screwdriver into the space between the alt and the bracket, then turn the bolt. It might grab a thread enough to get it out.

b18cEK 11-07-2006 07:09 AM

Re: Stipped Nut On Alternator Ground. How to get off??????? (ej8pwr)

If this ground is loose, would it cause the alternator to not work, and the battery drain even if the car is off?

thesmogman 11-07-2006 07:19 AM

If your alternator 's ground is bad it can cause all kind of problems but draining your battery with the car off....No.
Now if your are driving at the time, you would not be charging the battery. So If you are starting with a low battery it may look like the battery is draining with the car off.

b18cEK 11-07-2006 07:22 AM

Re: Stipped Nut On Alternator Ground. How to get off??????? (thesmogman)

well after I turned my car off after driving 10 miles.. it started back up.
but the next morning wouldnt start

POE 11-07-2006 08:04 AM

take a chizel to the bolt and get it knocked loose, then get a new bolt, cause that one will be messed up.

thesmogman 11-07-2006 08:25 AM

OK, But here is what is happening.
First you drive the car, during which the battery is constantly draining. You can get up to 30 miles without an alternator running straight off of the battery.
Then the battery is low say at 11.5v when you turn off the car.
Then the battery sits and equalizes and the voltage drop's more to say under 11v
and you try to start the car and it goes "wenh wenh click click click"

Fix the ground is the moral to the story https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif

POE 11-07-2006 08:37 AM

.. the ground.. or the alt is going bad

b18cEK 11-07-2006 09:08 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thesmogman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK, But here is what is happening.
First you drive the car, during which the battery is constantly draining. You can get up to 30 miles without an alternator running straight off of the battery.
Then the battery is low say at 11.5v when you turn off the car.
Then the battery sits and equalizes and the voltage drop's more to say under 11v
and you try to start the car and it goes "wenh wenh click click click"

Fix the ground is the moral to the story </TD></TR></TABLE>
exactly!
autozone said I can just use a dremel and cut off the bolt/nut and they will give me another alt.. We shall see
Thanks for the help

b18cEK 11-07-2006 09:09 AM

oh and the battery is supposed to be 12.5 volts charged correct?