Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Still can't get 95 Del Sol started . .

Old 06-12-2019, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Still can't get 95 Del Sol started . .

It sat for a few weeks, went to start and no fuel pump. Pulled the main relay and found a test online. It failed, so bought a relay. No difference with new relay. Checked the new relay and it failed the test as well. I found a schematic of the relay and realized the test posted was wrong. Tested it as per what I saw in the schematic and both replays passed. Tested to see if the black/yel wire was hot when key was on, it was. It doing all this, I ended up with the original relay back in and the car started. I started it a few times, then put it away for the night. next morning, back to a no start. I removed an alarm that was installed before I got the car, just in case something was acting up there, no change. I didn't even know the alarm was there, there was no remote, etc. Anyway, no difference. I pulled out the ECU to have a look. Others that have had computer problems mention it looked wet inside. Mine looked new, not a trace of any moisture or corrosion, looks like it just came from a box. Surely this doesn't mean anything couldn't still be wrong, but the fact that the engine started, after having the problem, means the ECU was working. A chip isn't going to not work, then work later. I have no access to another ECU, but really don't think that is the issue. Ideas??
Old 06-12-2019, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Still can't get 95 Del Sol started . .

Since you've check the main relay its time to see if the fuel pump is getting power, I would look there next.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Fuel pump has never been a problem. When jumping power to pump, it always has come on. I just did these tests,. . . . I jumped 1 to 7 and 5 to 7 on the main relay, pump came on both times. I then went to the ECU and removed plug A. I grounded A7 ( green/yel ) and the pump came on. That to me, is saying the ECU is the problem. I just don't see how an ECU can be intermittent ? Thoughts?

Last edited by PetesPonies; 06-12-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you jump the plugs to ground the relay, did you check to see if the ecu was getting power? Is the ecu fuse good to go?
Old 06-12-2019, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You also have to remember these cars are getting old, wires can become brittle at the connectors.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

THis is a 95 yes, but low mileage. Not thrashed at all. A true survivor where no punk kid has been All wires are pliable, no issues there, that are obvious. The ECU fuse is fine.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i put up my post 5 minutes before, and this guy already has 73 views and five responses and knobody has helped me with my urgent problem... Please someone help me!!!!
Old 06-12-2019, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Replace the ECU. If you don't want to spend the $$$ and just throw parts at it, try a KNOWN GOOD ECU and see if the fuel pump cycles at "Key-on".
Old 06-13-2019, 03:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok thank you!
Old 06-13-2019, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PetesPonies View Post
Fuel pump has never been a problem. When jumping power to pump, it always has come on. I just did these tests,. . . . I jumped 1 to 7 and 5 to 7 on the main relay, pump came on both times. I then went to the ECU and removed plug A. I grounded A7 ( green/yel ) and the pump came on. That to me, is saying the ECU is the problem. I just don't see how an ECU can be intermittent ? Thoughts?
Check the 4 main ground pins on the ECU connectors, and also the thermostat housing ground.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1 View Post
Replace the ECU. If you don't want to spend the $$$ and just throw parts at it, try a KNOWN GOOD ECU and see if the fuel pump cycles at "Key-on".
OPó Please check the ECU grounds with a multimeter before buying an ECU.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, all grounds were good. Continuity through them not an issue. On a side note, everyone talks about a thermostat housing ground. My car doesn't have one there. It's a totally stock 84K car, no ground there, no signs of one either. Anyway, after the A7 pin check it seemed like a computer, just baffled me it would be intermittent. I found a $60 computer, delivered; great price. I just installed it and the fuel pump came on and . . it's running. Thanks for ideas.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PetesPonies View Post
Yes, all grounds were good. Continuity through them not an issue. On a side note, everyone talks about a thermostat housing ground. My car doesn't have one there. It's a totally stock 84K car, no ground there, no signs of one either. Anyway, after the A7 pin check it seemed like a computer, just baffled me it would be intermittent. I found a $60 computer, delivered; great price. I just installed it and the fuel pump came on and . . it's running. Thanks for ideas.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: