Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Stiff Suspension for Rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stiff Suspension for Rubbing

My '96 Sedan has stock suspension, and I recently bought some new 16" wheels with 205/50 tires. They don't rub except when I hit dips at moderate speed, but I'd rather not have them rub at all.

I'm looking to buy a new suspension setup because I can see that that might help solve the problem. I'm not really looking to roll my fenders. I'm trying to save some money here, so help me out. Right now I'm looking at an Eibach Pro Kit. I'm not certain if a drop cancel the stiffer springs though. I don't want my ride "dumped," persay, but a drop would look nice. Mainly I'm looking to fix the rubbing. What's your suggestion?
Old 03-14-2004, 02:58 PM

maybe you should have got 205/45, cause 205-50 should go on 15in rims for a civic
Old 03-14-2004, 03:23 PM

Default Re: (SleepnCiViC)

That doesn't help me. What can I do with my suspension? I know I'm not the only one with this problem.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:49 PM

Default Re: (NiemandGott)

Bump again. I need some help.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:53 PM

Default Re: (SleepnCiViC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SleepnCiViC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe you should have got 205/45, cause 205-50 should go on 15in rims for a civic</TD></TR></TABLE>

That would help minimally... But a stiffer suspension as I'm sure you know "Niemandgott" will resist the body's natural reaction to "dip down" when you hit a bump. However, what you need to look for is a drop which will not be drastic as to where it only has to go down a 1/2" before it rubs the fender (as you also know).

I would suggest lowering your car as a means of "fixing" your rubbing problem, but you need to take the precautionary measures. I'm not really sure of the spring rates on the pro-kits, but i don't think they would be all that stiff to help your problem once you are dropped(they aren't racing springs, they will only provide a minimal resistance). But with the setup you mentioned, along with some shocks which don't have stock dampening rates, I think you'll be okay.

I see you said you didn't want to roll your fenders as well. Any particular reason? It's not that hard and will get rid of your rubbing most likely. And if you do decide to get it lowered, make sure you get aftermarket shocks to accomodate the higher spring-rates of the springs. Also get an alignment to ease tire wear afterwards. No need of a camber kit with a prokit IMO. AND SEARCH for everything else you need. Good luck...
Old 03-14-2004, 04:04 PM

Thanks GARB.

I also think I found part of the problem. I just spent 20 minutes looking into each wheel well, and I think it's only hitting on the driver's side. There is a small patch of the liner that is being worn away, and it looks as though my dented fender (it's not bad, hardly noticeable) is just in the way. If and when I get a new fender put in I will have it rolled when it is painted. The rubbing is very minute, so I'm pleased. Maybe a drop and some stiffness will better the look, but I don't think I'm in too big of a problem hole right now by the looks of it.
Old 03-14-2004, 04:51 PM

Default Re: (NiemandGott)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NiemandGott &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks GARB.

I also think I found part of the problem. I just spent 20 minutes looking into each wheel well, and I think it's only hitting on the driver's side. There is a small patch of the liner that is being worn away, and it looks as though my dented fender (it's not bad, hardly noticeable) is just in the way. If and when I get a new fender put in I will have it rolled when it is painted. The rubbing is very minute, so I'm pleased. Maybe a drop and some stiffness will better the look, but I don't think I'm in too big of a problem hole right now by the looks of it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldn't guess that you were by the sounds of your first post either. BTW, if you're going to get a new fender, definetely have them either trim it or roll it before the paint. Much easier, and looks absolutely professional.