Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Stick with Honda or not? Mid-life crisis.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stick with Honda or not? Mid-life crisis.

How old can a man be and still get away with driving a modified Honda without looking funny or like he's driving his son's car. I'm 23 right now but before I know it I'll be nearing my 30's. I'm an Asian living in San Francisco and driving a '00 hatch that does not have a body kit but all the other stuff (lowered, exhaust, etc.) and can probably only drive this for a few more years without feeling awkward since so many people hate on Hondas because of those damn retarded high school kids, HKs and other ricers out there. God, I hate rejects who weave in traffic and yet they get nowhere.

Anyway, my car is currently out of commission. So now I have a chance to blow off a few thousand $$$ on a new motor for my hatch or get one of those older Miatas (yeah, it's sorta gay, tell me something I didn't know). Miatas draw a more diverse group of people, which is good. People of all driving ages are into that car so a Miata is something I can keep for life.

I still love my hatch, however, and if I lived in Neverland, I would pick it over that little rat Miata any day. But, unfortunately that is not the case, but rather I am in an area surrounded by cars resembling shopping carts with their mega wings and bastards who thrive on breaking into and stealing Hondas. My car has been touched by dirty hands and I'm sure many people look down on me for driving my car. The question for me now is, should I move on? Who else has a story to share?

Edit: spaced paragraphs

[Modified by NOSpeed97, 10:06 AM 8/13/2002]
Old 08-13-2002, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Stick with Honda or not? Mid-life crisis. (NOSpeed97)

I'm 22.

I think you are too young to go through a mid life crisis right now !!!

I do see your point. I had my hatch for sale 92 CX with B18C1 awhile back, I had a buyer but after thinking about all the work I put into it I said forget about it and now its still mine.

I was going to keep the money and to pay off a majority of bills and until I finish school and drive around my girls 94 HOnda Accord. I did this for weeks while my hatch was getting painted and getting parts. After I get back into the hatch and drive I actually realize why I miss it.

I'm not the richest guy either, so a nice new luxury car is out of the question because no car payment is nice and insurance is low.

I don't need to impress any hootchie mamas with a BMW either since Im practically married. Are these really the girls you want anyway?? Unless you want only one thing. LOL

I bet you feel like, I'm in my mid 20s just about and I'm still driving a hatchback. F the critics man, as long as you are happy.

Though when I am 30 hopefully I'll be out of school and in something else.

[Modified by EGB18hatch, 10:32 AM 8/13/2002]
Old 08-13-2002, 01:34 AM

Miatas are great cars to drive. I love the handling capability but I would just stick with a Honda. I'm 22 and will probably be driving Hondas all my life. Mainly because I'm never going to be rich enough to afford an M5 or GTR. Life goes on though. As long as you're not 30 and driving around with Altezzas and FNF sticker kits I think you'll be good.
Old 08-13-2002, 01:56 AM

Default Re: Stick with Honda or not? Mid-life crisis. (LSDelSol)

just move up in the honda food chain.
Old 08-13-2002, 02:04 AM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm 35, not planning on giving up the Hondas for a long time.
Old 08-13-2002, 02:31 AM

Default Re: Stick with Honda or not? Mid-life crisis. (Mista Bone)

MistaBone is a honda pimp daddy till the end.

[Modified by EGB18hatch, 12:10 PM 8/13/2002]
Old 08-13-2002, 03:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2002, 03:35 AM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Stick with Honda or not? Mid-life crisis. (97hb)

hehe, I'll give up every Honda Part I own, including both running cars, if someone will trade me a mint 1970 Buick GSX 455 Stage 1.

Like that will every happen!

Rated at 360 hp, 510 tq.
tested at 410-425 hp, 550 tq (way underated!)
Old 08-13-2002, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Wouldn't mind a W30 442 either... The 455 in them was just as potent. Both cars weighed close to 4000lbs and with no mods, sporting slicks ran mid 12s in the 1/4 mile... Awesome cars...

As for when you are older you could move to an S2000 or whatever takes its place or you could jump over to Acura and get an NSX.
Old 08-13-2002, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stick with Honda or not? Mid-life crisis. (Uncle Ben)

There aren't a lot of cars out there that have a power to weight ratio of a hybrid and Honda reliability. In a nutshell, find me a more fun car to drive for the initial and operating cost and I'll take 2. Who cares what anyone thinks. Are you enjoying the Honda or not?
Old 08-13-2002, 05:55 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Stick with Honda or not? Mid-life crisis. (94CivicSi)

Read my signature.

Old 08-13-2002, 05:57 AM

Default Re: Stick with Honda or not? Mid-life crisis. (94CivicSi)

I'm 26 (turning 27 in Nov) and will drive my civic till it falls apart.

if you enjoy what you're doing, don't let others steer you away!
Old 08-13-2002, 06:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Stick with Honda or not? Mid-life crisis. (brcivic411)

whats with this midlife crisis?? those who know me, ive gone thru the mill of the early modified cruisers as well as the muscle cars of the 60 s and 70 s , first of the mazda rotaries and even 3 volvos..then a modified civic coupe at the ripe age of 52..and now at 54 im toning it now a notch with a eclipse GT..*over the hill*..BULLSHIT !! last thing u want to do is die bored

[Modified by deepnite, 3:08 PM 8/13/2002]
Old 08-13-2002, 06:43 AM

I'm 30 and I have a EG DX hatchback with.
1. B18c1
a) Skunk2 stage1 cams and cam gears
b) DC 4-1 headers
c) Greddy PE cat back
d) Short ram intake

2. GSR suspension and Brakes (master cyl, suspension, calipers and rotors)
a) KYB gas shocks
b) neuspeed sport spings.

At least I'm still a kid in spirit... LOL!

For all other "older stuff" business, I use my BMW. <-- cold air intake, JC chip, limited slip ..etc.

Old 08-13-2002, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stick with Honda or not? Mid-life crisis. (EGB18hatch)

get rid of the gay honda!!
Old 08-13-2002, 06:53 AM

30 here, I can see the top of the hill.......if I look over my shoulder

I'm in the fortunate position of having an additional commuter vehicle, so I can take the Honda off the road for a while if I need to. However, I have some pretty outrageous bills right now as my wife (of 2 months, woo hoo!) is still in grad school and so I'm basically supporting us both, 2 car payments, mortgage, credit card (being a "furriner", I didn't qualify for student loans....).....so not much dough for modding the Honda. However, I'll keep it as long as I can. The wife thinks I'm nuts, but I love my Honda. Period. Its not the fastest car out there, not even close, but I'm hardly scratching the performance surface. There are so many things I want to do, and its all a fabulous learning experience.

Oh for some more free time and a little extra wallet padding.......

In the end, you have to do what you feel is best. As Tom noted, if you're getting out because the "scene" is lame, then you have some issues. I don't care if half the Hondas I see are all riced out.....MINE'S not!!

Anyway, back to work.....

HTH!

Steve
Old 08-13-2002, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stick with Honda or not? Mid-life crisis. (Uncle Ben)

Stick with 's man!! like a lot of peeps here, i'm 22 and loving my ! sure a lot of people out there have the same car you've got, but it's never the same if it's not your car. if you really must get another car...IMO...wait till the EVO VII comes out here. then you'll be driving a nice four door that can burn almost anything at the red light.

Old 08-13-2002, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I love miata's, and would buy one if I could comfortably fit. Well, I could make myself fit, but not once I put a rollcage in it...

Anyway, think the idea that you need to sell your honda because what other honda owners are like is a sorry excuse. Sell the car because you want something different or don't do it at all. I can understand the feelings you're talking about though... I drive a 92 CX (stock) to work every day. It's the cheapest car in my lot and I'm the second highest paid person at my company. Every now and then it'll bother me... honestly, it's usually when I see a nice looking woman in a nice car. Then I snap back to reality and remember that I'm married (happily) and I stop caring. I'm not out to impress anyone, but sometimes you just feel better driving what the mainstream considers a nice car.

[edit] ... just wanted to add... forget about all the "gay miata" talk. That stereotype has kept many a guy from buying and enjoying one of the best "drivers" cars on the market.

[Modified by JeffS, 11:33 AM 8/13/2002]
Old 08-13-2002, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Stick with Honda or not? Mid-life crisis. (JeffS)

Im almost 26. I have a wife and 2 kids.
In my ghey town, I am the oldest person driving a modified honda. All the rest are little high school kids without any serious modifications. It is quite embarassing being associated w/ these kids and their light up squirters and uni-wipers, but I build my car for ME and for my satisfaction. I dont do it to impress others, so I could care less what they think.

I dont know about anyone else, but I plan to be to be 60 and still have at least one fast honda sitting in my garage(along w/ many other cars of course ).
Old 08-13-2002, 08:27 AM
EEK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stick with Honda or not? Mid-life crisis. (EGB18hatch)

I'm 22.

I think you are too young to go through a mid life crisis right now !!!

I do see your point. I had my hatch for sale 92 CX with B18C1 awhile back, I had a buyer but after thinking about all the work I put into it I said forget about it and now its still mine.

I was going to keep the money and to pay off a majority of bills and until I finish school and drive around my girls 94 HOnda Accord. I did this for weeks while my hatch was getting painted and getting parts. After I get back into the hatch and drive I actually realize why I miss it.

I'm not the richest guy either, so a nice new luxury car is out of the question because no car payment is nice and insurance is low.

I don't need to impress any hootchie mamas with a BMW either since Im practically married. Are these really the girls you want anyway?? Unless you want only one thing. LOL

I bet you feel like, I'm in my mid 20s just about and I'm still driving a hatchback. F the critics man, as long as you are happy.

Though when I am 30 hopefully I'll be out of school and in something else.
man couple of the people on my team are 28-30 they still drive hybrid honda's and still love it

[Modified by EGB18hatch, 10:32 AM 8/13/2002]
this is so true..if you need a ride to get you a girl then you just got no game
My crew is made up of 20-30 people ages ranging from 17-30 we all have love for import cars and quiet frankly all the older guys(27+) have the faster N/A cars then us younger guys..iits all about love for the game not how old you are and your still hooking up a "import"

[Modified by EEK, 12:37 PM 8/13/2002]
Old 08-13-2002, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am 25 (will be in Sept) and I still own a Lowered i/h/e Civic.

Old 08-13-2002, 08:44 AM

Man, my Civic IS my midlife crisis car! I'm 44. The car is stock looking except for wheels and WS painted black. I still get revved on all the time by kids with imports, Mustangs, rednecks in pickups, whatever. I don't get any attention from cops, no hassles. There are faster cars than me and slower ones. I've been through four muscle cars and my hatch is my favorite. It is one of the funnest cars I have driven, I get a lot of enjoyment out of it.
Old 08-13-2002, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Stick with Honda or not? Mid-life crisis. (Spade)

I am going to turn 28 here in Sept. You are never to old to drive a honda and fix up cars. If you look at all the major tuners out there, they are usually in their 30's or older. I will only be to old when I am 6 feet under.
Old 08-13-2002, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Stick with Honda or not? Mid-life crisis. (Takeoff)

i'm 33 and been into imorts all my life, got a 93 si 4 years ago and got hooked. Minor mods so far, but plan to do more performance related mods in the future. Will keep my pig forever but i want to get something else also. i understand where u r coming from with all the ricers out there. I wish the honda trend would die down myself so we real lovers can get on with our lives.
Old 08-13-2002, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stick with Honda or not? Mid-life crisis. (Takeoff)

This is some good feedback you're getting. I'm 28 and I have faced this question too. Chances are I will still keep my Honda when I get an "Adult" car. It is fun and F whatever anyone says as long as you like it...

Quick Reply: Stick with Honda or not? Mid-life crisis.