Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

stick conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stick conversion

i know its better to find the car in a stick model but if you were to do a auto to stick conversion is it safe? and does it cause alot of problems? if there are problems what would they consist of.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:50 AM

Default Re: stick conversion (ProjectSol)

i had a 1994 civic 4 door that i converted to stick. I wasnt all that hard not as hard as everyone makes it out to be. I started off by buying the motor which came with manny trans after i did that i went and got the clutch pedal assembly, i also got the master cylinder and everything. I got a d16z6 (ex motor) and i got the ecu. So i did the swap totally motor and all. For just a trans swap you will have to do the following. On a manual car there is a netrual safety switch which allows the car to be started when clutch is depressed, this will have to be jumped, so if you good at electronics this will be no problem
next yuo will have to install the master cylinder. On every honda on the driver side wall there is a place for the cylinder it is a "pop out" you have to remove that
Then you use the line to connect with the clutch pedal itself. You will have to use a line to go form the master cylinder to the slave cylinder, I used a stell brake line i got from NAPA.
After you do that you will have to set the shifter inside the car with the 4 door i had to do some Welding but i am not sure if you have to in a sol.
The 4 door was sold very easily due to stick if you have your own stuff or a good friend like me i got my stuff done real cheap there was no problems at all. If you plan on taking it to a shop then you may be looking at like 500+ dollars to do the tranny swap. Well good luck and have fun
Old 09-09-2002, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stick conversion (SpoonHatchBack)

I was told that an auto converted to a manual will never be as good as one that came stock with it...so I just bought a manual to begin w/
Old 09-09-2002, 09:13 AM

Default Re: stick conversion (WR93EG)

nothing will ever be as good as what the factory produced it as but i went from a 17.7 to a 16.4!!! with intake exhaust.So that was better
Old 09-09-2002, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: stick conversion (ProjectSol)

i don't think you should have to much of a problem. One thing i would recommend doing, is taking it to someone that has done this on a honda before, and if possible, someone that has done this on a delsol. I'm going through the same thing right now and the shop did it in a day, so it should be fairly easy for someone with experience.
Oh yea, do you know how to drive a 5spd, because it's been 3 years since i have and now i'm worried i'm gonna have a 10 sec civic but can't drive it.

[Modified by autoEXturbo, 1:39 PM 9/9/2002]