Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

STi exhaust on EG...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default STi exhaust on EG...

Because of the different power levels, length of exhaust, an several other little factors, would an STi exhaust not sound like an STi exhaust if it were on a civic?? That aggressive sound that they have I think is pretty well known, its not like a ricer tone its way deeper an has that stutter kinda sound to it... I'm about to redo all my exhaust an all that and I am aiming for a deeeeeeep tone not loud an high pitched.... Any ideas...
Old 12-21-2006, 02:35 PM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: STi exhaust on EG... (JDM_SOHC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_SOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Because of the different power levels, length of exhaust, an several other little factors, would an STi exhaust not sound like an STi exhaust if it were on a civic??</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, it would not sound like a WRX.

If you are looking for a "deep tone", you can try pairing a Magnaflow oval straight-through muffler with a decent sized resonator.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: STi exhaust on EG... (Padawan)

x2
Old 12-21-2006, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: STi exhaust on EG... (Mikes2000civicsi)

Agreed, completely different sound/tone.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: STi exhaust on EG... (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mikes2000civicsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">x2 </TD></TR></TABLE>

X3.......one of the main factors for the WRX/STi sounding like that is the fact that they are boxer engines.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you serious??

you must not know jack **** about the wrx and other subbies.

They are an opposed 4 cylinder. Like a porsche. Thats why the arey thumpy
Old 12-21-2006, 02:42 PM

Pull a spark plug wire off, then it'll sound even more like a Scooby.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Azn Kenny)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Azn Kenny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pull a spark plug wire off, then it'll sound even more like a Scooby.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep, done that before (had water in two of the spark plugs) car ran like **** (only went like 5mph) but sounded more like a harley davidson!!!!!!! it was my bros 94 gsr
Old 12-21-2006, 03:05 PM
SiRek4

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_SOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Because of the different power levels, length of exhaust, an several other little factors, would an STi exhaust not sound like an STi exhaust if it were on a civic?? That aggressive sound that they have I think is pretty well known, its not like a ricer tone its way deeper an has that stutter kinda sound to it... I'm about to redo all my exhaust an all that and I am aiming for a deeeeeeep tone not loud an high pitched.... Any ideas...</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahahahaha... stop playin man, you are playin right?
Old 12-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

i love the way boxer engines sound

VW beetles sound so unique
Old 12-21-2006, 04:02 PM
Darth ModerVader

Head over to a Subaru forum and you should find plenty of STI owners selling their stock exhausts. Of course, it won't fit without modification and won't sound anything like it does on the STI, but if that's what you want to do...
Old 12-21-2006, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try it out and let us know
Old 12-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you put a flowmaster on your car will it sound the same as a mustang with flowmasters???

was this a serious question or you just looking to stir up crap???
Old 12-21-2006, 06:14 PM

Default Re: (schardbody)

Its the engine design, not the exhaust that makes a Subaru sound like they do.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stock_honda_coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stock_honda_coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its the engine design, not the exhaust that makes a Subaru sound like they do.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what i figured... im not a moron, i wasnt saying i was going to put an STi exhaust on my car I was just wondering if because of many different reasons it wouldnt sound the same... I heard they used a twin loop exhaust on them thats why they have the tone they do, and i kno plenty of companies make a twin loop exhaust, so i figured it was probably the exhaust that gave it that sound, thats all i was wondering generally...
Old 12-21-2006, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ummm.....
seriously man...its a turbo boxer engine....

that's like saying if i through an old vw exhaust on my civic will it make that jetsons sound....
Old 12-21-2006, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually the engine design is NOT what makes a subaru sound like a subaru. it is because of the un-equal length exhaust manifold. the rumble is from the exhaust pulses hitting each other, once you change the EM to an equal length header, the car will no longer rumble.

STI or STi exhausts are available for about 150 bux on most forums, but don't waste your time with this. Buy yourself a real exhaust system.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (littleredcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by littleredcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">actually the engine design is NOT what makes a subaru sound like a subaru. it is because of the un-equal length exhaust manifold. </TD></TR></TABLE>

They had to make the manifold like that due to the engine design, so yes the sound is due to the engine.

You're putting the chicken before the egg.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (littleredcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by littleredcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">actually the engine design is NOT what makes a subaru sound like a subaru. it is because of the un-equal length exhaust manifold. the rumble is from the exhaust pulses hitting each other, once you change the EM to an equal length header, the car will no longer rumble.

STI or STi exhausts are available for about 150 bux on most forums, but don't waste your time with this. Buy yourself a real exhaust system. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for some actually useful knowledge :-)
Old 12-22-2006, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM_SOHC)

everything given to you in this thread was useful being said why they sound like they do and that your car wouldnt sound anyhting like that.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo_y8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo_y8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">everything given to you in this thread was useful being said why they sound like they do and that your car wouldnt sound anyhting like that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well i thought it was cuz they used a twin loop designed muffler on them, i had no clue what kinda exhaust it was... my friends wrx has a fujitsubo on there an that **** sounds fawkin sick.... Actually sounds like the vehicle has some ***** to it lol, but my N1 exhaust is straight though, just wanted a deeper tone... Thanks for ur help guys..
Old 12-25-2006, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (-Gary-)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by -Gary- &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

They had to make the manifold like that due to the engine design, so yes the sound is due to the engine.

You're putting the chicken before the egg. </TD></TR></TABLE>

actually, you are incorrect. the boxer engine does not require an unequal length header or manifold to be used. for example, certain models come with equal length manifolds from the factory in their twin scroll equipped models. it is not a necessity that the header is unequal. in fact, many of us switch to equal length because it reduces turbo lag, reduces volume, gets rid of the rumble and increases power output.

there are other boxer engines that do not rumble, for example, porsche and vw... actually when a subaru goes equal length, it sounds like a little porsche turbo screaming if the tune is done right.

actually, i am wanting to get a tomei equal length for my car, but at over a grand... it is a bit pricey.

in reality, if you wanted to make a honda sound like a subaru, you could always cut your header apart and extend 2 of the sequentially firing cylinders and you would get the same rumble, but that would be pointless.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:17 AM
NMZ
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: STi exhaust on EG... (Turbo_y8)

ROFL
Are you serious
Old 12-25-2006, 09:26 AM

Someone please try that, lmaonade!
Old 12-25-2006, 09:27 AM
NMZ
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Azn Kenny)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Azn Kenny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Someone please try that, lmaonade!</TD></TR></TABLE>

lmaonade is right
d15 with the mean aggresive growl HAHAHA

Quick Reply: STi exhaust on EG...