Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Stereo Trunk Rattle... Civic 96-98 2D-4D.... Anyone fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Trunk Rattle... Civic 96-98 2D-4D.... Anyone fix it?

96-98 Civic 2D and 4D's all have the same problem. The trunk rattles HORRIBLY with bass.

I currently run 2 -12's but it sounds like crap outside because of the rattle.

I used "dynomat extreme" which is pretty think and good **** on the inside of the trunk Lid as well as other places. I probably added 30-40 lbs to my car just using a tun of the stuff.

Anyway, i'm looking for other people with the same cars that might have ideas on how to fix the problem. Or ppl who have fixed the problem to post what they did.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Stereo Trunk Rattle... Civic 96-98 2D-4D.... Anyone fix it? (PerfectXtreme)

hmm...i'm wondering the same thing
Old 08-20-2003, 10:47 PM
New User

Default Re: Stereo Trunk Rattle... Civic 96-98 2D-4D.... Anyone fix it? (PerfectXtreme)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PerfectXtreme &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">96-98 Civic 2D and 4D's all have the same problem. The trunk rattles HORRIBLY with bass.

I currently run 2 -12's but it sounds like crap outside because of the rattle.

I used "dynomat extreme" which is pretty think and good **** on the inside of the trunk Lid as well as other places. I probably added 30-40 lbs to my car just using a tun of the stuff.

Anyway, i'm looking for other people with the same cars that might have ideas on how to fix the problem. Or ppl who have fixed the problem to post what they did. </TD></TR></TABLE>

how much dynamat did you use? i only used 1 1/4 sheet of the trunk stuff and no
rattle at all. maybe you forgot to clean the area before you applied the thing.
sorry man cant help you here.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you have a wing? exactly what part rattles? the underbracing for the trunk? license plate rattles on mine. just use some high density weatherstripping and put in between the rattling parts. should eliminate your rattle problems.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Stereo Trunk Rattle... Civic 96-98 2D-4D.... Anyone fix it? (tominos)

I used a huge box of the dynomat stuff. Enough to completely cover my trunk lid. It is stuck to the thing for life now.

I can't really tell what rattles. If i remove my license plate. It still rattles. If i remove my stock wing. it still rattles. If i remove the plastic license plate holder thingy on the trunk. It still rattles. Pretty much take everything apart and it rattles lol. I've tried putting foam in some parts.. but still rattles.

I really have NO idea what to do which is why i'm asking ppl.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:26 PM

i'm thinking about getting more dynomat and putting it on back of license plate. breaklight housings... between wing and stuff.

My wing has LED on it which i'm sure probably rattles too.

I'm probably just stuck with it. At stereo comps... I have 3 mexicans sitting on my trunk to keep it from rattling and help the DB levels.

I'm lucky to get 143-145 db's.. when I should be hitting 148+ easy. PPL with almost same setup in different vehicles get high 40's and 50's.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:56 PM
New User

hahaha mexicans.

hey you know what, it could be that plastic tub that holds the license plate. it once
came loose on my car and was rattling like hell. check the nut behind the license
plate tub or whatever that thing is called.

it could be the wing thats rattling.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PerfectXtreme &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm lucky to get 143-145 db's.. when I should be hitting 148+ easy. PPL with almost same setup in different vehicles get high 40's and 50's.</TD></TR></TABLE>

These can't be the same types of cars. Civic coupes are bass traps.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PerfectXtreme &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm thinking about getting more dynomat and putting it on back of license plate. breaklight housings... between wing and stuff.

My wing has LED on it which i'm sure probably rattles too.

I'm probably just stuck with it. At stereo comps... I have 3 mexicans sitting on my trunk to keep it from rattling and help the DB levels.

I'm lucky to get 143-145 db's.. when I should be hitting 148+ easy. PPL with almost same setup in different vehicles get high 40's and 50's.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well If your hitting 145 db's, no wonder the trunk is rattling. I only have one Alpine Type R 12" with a 400 watt Rockford amp and my trunk rattles a little bit on certain songs. I was gonna buy two of those but i think im glad I didn't.

Edit: Does Dynamat really work very well?
Old 08-21-2003, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Stereo Trunk Rattle... Civic 96-98 2D-4D.... Anyone fix it? (just a civic)

Dynamat does work well, but you will need much more than that to keep your car/trunk rattle free. I've used expanding foam, carpet padding, and weather stipping. Unfortunately, there are still rattles.

P.S. - There are MUCH cheaper alternatives to dynamat.
Old 08-21-2003, 05:04 AM

welding the trunk cover to the body. solve the problem.....
Old 08-21-2003, 05:53 AM

good alternative- 'brown bread' same sort of material, do a search on google for it, also can find it on ebay sometimes, cheaper than dynamat.

As for rattling, also check you back deck where the rear speakers are, you are probably rattling that a bit as well, but checking all your taillights, trunk hinges, and various nuts and bolts (check under the car too for noise), should be a start.
Old 08-21-2003, 05:59 AM

Default Re: Stereo Trunk Rattle... Civic 96-98 2D-4D.... Anyone fix it? (Mr. Choi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr. Choi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hahaha mexicans.

hey you know what, it could be that plastic tub that holds the license plate. it once
came loose on my car and was rattling like hell. check the nut behind the license
plate tub or whatever that thing is called.

it could be the wing thats rattling.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The plastic tub is the answer. I cut up a sponge and placed several pieces between the actual trunk lid and the plastic pan. Also between the license plate and the plastic pan. It still rattles a little but this helped a lot.
However, at 145dB nothing is going to stop a Honda from rattleing.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:25 AM

Default Re: (SickCiv98)

I've given up. My system hits 150+ db's. Everything rattles at that volume. I have dynamat and liquid rubber spray in the trunk, and dynamat under my rear speaker panel. You have to realize that everything back there rattles. Tail lights, your bumper, license plate, license plate tub, tail light wiring, etc.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:43 AM

i have a 2000 civic coupe too. i have two jlw3's and my trunk used to rattle like crazy! i solved the problem by using 3 rolls of "peel and seal" found at Lowes or Home Depot. I even double stick my lisence plate, the tape holds my plate in place. i took sponge-like materials and stuffed it under the panel that cover my 6x9's in the back.
If u remove your rear bumper, u will find a black rubber flapper on the rear driver's side. Try to stable the flapper down. Because when your bass hit , the air rushes out the flapper and causes it to make a nasty noise.
What i did really really helped the rattle problem. U hear more bass and less rattle. i got a pic of my trunk too.. but i have to find it. Do a search on "Greentime"
Old 08-21-2003, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Stereo Trunk Rattle... Civic 96-98 2D-4D.... Anyone fix it? (AznImage504)

Humm... I did solve rattles inside my car. I dynomat the entire back deck. Between the plastic POS and the body of the car. So i dont' ahve any rattling inside the car really. SOUNDS awsome ... It's outside that i'm worried about.

I stuck foam between the plastic license plate tub thingy on the trunk lid. Didn't help much. as well as a bunch of foam around license plate.

I remember taking everything off my trunk. ANything that had a screw or bolt... I removed. Tub.. tail lights.. wing... EVERYTHING.. and it still rattled lol.

Dynomat worked awsome.. sorta. When you knock on the truck it sounds solid. So the metal trunk lid its self.. isn't the problem.. it's everything attached to it.. which even with foam doesn't seem to seal up well.

I can't aford the expencive dynomat **** that i put on the lid and back deck. The guy who hooked me up with it no longer works....

Does anyone know of some cheap alternatives? Someone mentioned something from home-depo.. what exactly was it?
Old 08-21-2003, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Brown Bread on ebay for about 150 shipped you get about 70 sq ft, enough to do most of your car. Make sure you don't lap the edges of the material (brown bread or dynamat) make them touch edge to edge and make sure when you shut your trunk it's a tight nice sounding closure almost like it doesn't want to shut but you make it. that's how mine is. i also had to take apart my whole rear interior and i put weather stripping between the plastic parts. I also took my door panels off and use a spray product on that and a lil bit of poly fill (pillow stuffing). my car doesn't rattle much, you can't hear it in the cabin, only outside, but i don't think you can ever get rid of all rattles in a civic. also one thing that helped me is putting bass ports in my back deck instead of speakers and it took a lot of air pressure out of my trunk and it sounds a lot better. just something to think about. goodluck
Old 08-21-2003, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Stereo Trunk Rattle... Civic 96-98 2D-4D.... Anyone fix it? (95civicdx)

usually play with seats down.. which let a good deal of air through.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:40 PM

Check your back deck...the cables, connectors for lights, loose bolt could be causing it or the plastic interior vibrating against the metal deck. You might try running a Frequency Sweep to figure out what freq. is starts at..might help. Are you sure it's not your teeth rattling...like someone already said running that much Db will cause just about anything to rattle.
Old 08-23-2003, 12:25 PM

Default Re: (seppuku)

Yeah i've gone through my entire trunk area like 3 times so far. Putting rubber washers on bolts... foam here.. foam there. Dynomatt everywhere!!!! lol.

I was just checkin to see if anyone with 96-98's had same problem which they do .. every 96-98 i see with stereo rattles like a ****. And I wanted to see if anyone was able to find the major problems and a simple cheap way to fix it.

I even offered to pay the local stereo shop 140 bucks + whatever parts they used. To fix it... and they said they couldn't fix it for a reasonable price.
Old 08-23-2003, 04:19 PM

dynomat isnt supposed to stop rattling. it stops the ringing of the metal. the parts that rattles in the trunk are the hood latch assemblies or the whole trunk itself. if its the trunk then you hafto seal the trunk even more. if its the hood latch and wires and stuff...there not much stuff you can do but shoot some expand-a-foam in your trunk lid....that should stop the rattling.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:24 AM

Default Re: (Trunks714)

Humm. Gonna give lots of this a try. Dynomat did however make a huge difference. You can knock on a stock trunk lid and hear one type of sound. And when you knock on mine. It sound solid. If i had to guess. I'd say my trunk lid traps a lot more bass and bounces it back into the car a lot better than it used to. However it still rattles like a mother ******.

I'm gonna try and find some foam stuff to shoot up inside it and see if that might make a difference. Gonna also have to figure out a way to make my wing detachable with wires and all. Don't want to have to cut and splice the wires for the LED every time i take it apart.

Think i have somethin in my UBER car electrical kit that might work.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:01 PM

i have a 12" L7 solobaric in the trunk and i have fiberglassed front door panels with a kicker 8" midbass and kicker resolution 6" components. i dynamatted the trunk and doors and i ahev no rattles at all. its not even loud outside the car. guess i got lucky and i got a honda that doesnt rattle too terribly bad.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:38 PM

Default Re: Stereo Trunk Rattle... Civic 96-98 2D-4D.... Anyone fix it? (96civ4doorb16a2)

Gimme proof of this and i'll hand you 30k for your car right now. LoL. So I can figure out what the **** you did and sell fixes for it on ebay for tuns of cash.

I donno how you just dynomatted your trunk lid and got rid of all the rattles. That 12 you ahve puts out as much or more bass than my 2... Least it should.

I have NO rattles inside the car. So i'm not worried about that problem. Got rid of all that with dynomat. It's outside that i'm having problems with.

Every stereo shop i've taken my car to and talked to them about. Say it's about as bad as they have ever seen and can't see why it is that way.

I have 300 dollars worth of dynomat on that bitch. THough i didn't pay that. And it rattles like no other.

I can pull up to a store. And ppl hear the rattling inside. More than they hear the bass.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:39 AM

yeah everyone is surprised i dont have rattles... lol. i even have more dynamat to install too, once i get ambition to rip the seats out and dynamat the floor.

Quick Reply: Stereo Trunk Rattle... Civic 96-98 2D-4D.... Anyone fix it?