Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Steering Wheel Vibrates!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Vibrates!!!

Ok well long story short I was in a bit of an accident I hydroplanned and hoped a crub with both tire on my passeger side and spun out to a dead stop...all this happened at 45-50mph....I've slowly began fixing the problem that arouse i'm getting an alignment done cuz it was thrown off a bit but all suspension component look normal the car still stands nice and straight......What could be something that can be causing some vibration during braking....cuz it vibrates very little when driving but when I press on the brakes to slow down i feel this vibration.....Also when I take of at very low Rpm's on 1st gear it shakes a bit....what are some suggestion that could be.....I was thinking a bad driver side motor mount....
Old 08-03-2006, 03:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering Wheel Vibrates!!! (jdm_sir2)

my guess is a bent rim.. or one of ur tire weights came off
Old 08-03-2006, 04:08 AM

Default Re: Steering Wheel Vibrates!!! (WhiteOut)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WhiteOut &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my guess is a bent rim.. or one of ur tire weights came off</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm with this guy!! I've had the same problem with my car, and when I went and had the wheels re-balanced, It seemed to fix the problem. It's amazing at how much affect one little weight has on the way your car drives.

I've never had experience with a bent rim though, so I do not know what the symptoms of that are...
Old 08-03-2006, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it to a tire shop, they'll be able to rotate the rim, you MAY have got lucky and threw a weight off (in which case they can just put one back on where it's needed) or more likely the rim is bent - you will need a new rim (if they can't bang the dent out - which they usually can't) - but they won't be able to fully balance the bent one...

'Tis what happend when I spun my probe & crashed/arrested & everythign back in feb/'05, I hit a pot hole which changed teh direction I was going in a really short time, bent the expletive outta my rim, my lawyer later told the judge it was enough to compromise the stability of the wheel (which is bullshit), anyways, so you can drive fine but u'll be wearing out the tire unevenly :-\
Old 08-03-2006, 04:39 AM

To me, it sounds like a bent brake rotor.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Hex420)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hex420 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To me, it sounds like a bent brake rotor. </TD></TR></TABLE>

'n How'd he pull that off w/o making the rim look like a crumpled beer can?

A side impact to the rim - enough to bend the rotor, would be such a hard shot, ur rim wouldn't even be circular anymore...and you'd probably snap ur control arm...

balance, probably a new rim b4 u jump to conclusions
Old 08-03-2006, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

A side impact to the rim - enough to bend the rotor, would be such a hard shot, ur rim wouldn't even be circular anymore...and you'd probably snap ur control arm...

balance, probably a new rim b4 u jump to conclusions</TD></TR></TABLE>

Put the spare on. Does it still do it? If so it's obviously not the rim.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:37 AM

Well, in '03 when I got my car originally, it vibrated at low speeds and under braking, so they resurfaced my front rotors, and the problem went away.

But I'm a n00b...whatta I know?
Old 08-03-2006, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (VQ30DE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

balance, probably a new rim b4 u jump to conclusions</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is how my wheels looked after the crash..

Now i'm rolling on Stock Del Sol rims painted black with 185/60/14 tire all balanced and I just finished doing the alignment the car still shakes when braking makes a sound sort of like tuuuuuunk tuuuuunk tuuuuunk when i'm braking...

Old 08-03-2006, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (jdm_sir2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Take it to a tire shop, they'll be able to rotate the rim, you MAY have got lucky and threw a weight off (in which case they can just put one back on where it's needed) or more likely the rim is bent - you will need a new rim (if they can't bang the dent out - which they usually can't) - but they won't be able to fully balance the bent one...

'Tis what happend when I spun my probe & crashed/arrested & everythign back in feb/'05, I hit a pot hole which changed teh direction I was going in a really short time, bent the expletive outta my rim, my lawyer later told the judge it was enough to compromise the stability of the wheel (which is bullshit), anyways, so you can drive fine but u'll be wearing out the tire unevenly :-\</TD></TR></TABLE>

i swear i'm reading a story everytime this guy posts.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm_sir2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is how my wheels looked after the crash..

Now i'm rolling on Stock Del Sol rims painted black with 185/60/14 tire all balanced and I just finished doing the alignment the car still shakes when braking makes a sound sort of like tuuuuuunk tuuuuunk tuuuuunk when i'm braking...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

damn those rims were fu*ked up! you most likely have a warped rotor, either get them cut or replaced. also, just a thought, since you slided into a curb, check all the ball joints. though if any where bad it would have shown during the alignment. but doesn't hurt to double, even triple check!
Old 08-03-2006, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

holy ****
Old 08-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

maybe a bent rack and pinion
Old 08-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fmrprojects)

Can you tell this was a pretty hard hit!

The guy at the alignment shop said that everything look in good shape nothing distorted he checked yesterday when he was quoting me and than also today when I took it in for the service.....i'll get my rotors machined see wha that does...do i have to replace my brakes also eventhough they still have like 75% of bite on them?
Old 08-03-2006, 10:42 AM

Oh so it did look like a f uped beer can. Hum, I gues some people need to stop talking crap. We are trying to help this guy, he hit a curb, what do you think the rim looks like???

Shaking when braking= Rotor problems (most of the time)

Modified by Hex420 at 12:27 PM 8/3/2006
Old 08-04-2006, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hex420)

Is there any other suggestions based on their experience or knowledge that would be able to help me out????
Old 08-04-2006, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

warped rotors??
Old 08-04-2006, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Marcpb443)

the rotor can warp by its self, lets say you hit the brakes while skidding out of control, the rotor may have gotten really hot, water hit it cooling it down really fast and then it warped
Old 08-04-2006, 08:29 AM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wrong. It does not take much at all to warp a brake rotor. They can warp from having lug nuts taht are too tight. The wheel would not have to look like a crumpled beer can for the rotor to warp.

Come back when you know what you are talking about.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:32 AM

Default Re: (fmrprojects)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fmrprojects &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe a bent rack and pinion</TD></TR></TABLE>

The rack and pinion assebly and its linkage do not normally bend. It would have to be a horrendous hit for that to happen. They are designed so that an outer tie rod would seperate before the rack would bend.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:43 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: (JDM-97CX)

The problem the OP is talking about sounds like a bad balljoint to me. You should jack the car up & shake the wheel up/down & left/right. If you feel any play, have a friend wiggle the tire while you hunt down the problem. I found several problems on the same car with this technique:

- loose steering rack bolts
- bad tie rod ball-joint
- bad rack end bushing (manual rack only)

Keep in mind that the rack end bushing is not the stupid rubber mounting bushing for the steering gearbox. It is a hard plastic bushing inside the passengers side of the steering-gearbox that the steering-rack itself slides back & forth on (manual rack only). This turned out to be the exact cause of my wheel-shake under braking.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94eg!)

Well I just discovered that also on my take of it shakes so i'm guessing i might of broken or crack a motor mount bushing pretty bad.....but i'll try to get to checking everything tomorrow since i have the weekend off from work and well i have to work today...but if anyone else can think of another solution let me know....