Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Steering wheel is shaking btw 50-80mph *Searched*

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel is shaking btw 50-80mph *Searched*

Okay it only does this btw 50-80mph. Before 50 and after 80, it's fine.. what could it be???

I checked the tires and rotated them to see if it's a tire balance issue. Still shakes.

This leads me to believe it's perhaps the CV axle??

Brake rotors? Steering wheel doens't vibrate when i brake.. BUT... this happened with my EJ, steering wheel shakes when accelerating.. got new rotors... shaking stops.

ANyone experienced this before?? When steering wheel shakes when accelerating but only at certain speeds?

Possible steering rack looseness? There's no play in it. Bushings perhaps?

Help! It's very annoying damnit.

yes i have ideas, but it would really help is someone went thru this before and can exactly pinpoint it out. thanks
Old 12-06-2005, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Steering wheel is shaking btw 50-80mph *Searched* (SeaLevel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SeaLevel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I checked the tires and rotated them to see if it's a tire balance issue. Still shakes.

.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Unless all four tires are out of balance. I'd just get 'em balanced for good measure. Other than that - you seem to have an idea of other causes - just a matter of isolating it...
Old 12-06-2005, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering wheel is shaking btw 50-80mph *Searched* (Z4xLSVTEC)

have you checked your upper control arm bushing
Old 12-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering wheel is shaking btw 50-80mph *Searched* (tuck'd98)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tuck’d98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have you checked your upper control arm bushing</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes i have it looks fine. The reason i don't believe its the bushing is becuase the steering wheel shakes even on perfectly smooth roads, which leads me to believe it's a moving part
Old 12-06-2005, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

rotors could be warped
Old 12-06-2005, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ man i really hope that's it.

Anyone one else with suggestions/experiences with this?
Old 12-06-2005, 09:38 PM

could be your alignment is messed up or could be something wrong with your tires. I had the same problem accelerating on the freeway from 65-80 shaking. I changed the tires, and now it doesnt shake anymore
Old 12-06-2005, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering wheel is shaking btw 50-80mph *Searched* (Carbonyl)

how were your tires balanced?
Old 12-06-2005, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Something similar happend to me and it turned out to be a flat spot on the tires. Just a suggestion.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

balance your tires.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering wheel is shaking btw 50-80mph *Searched* (Carbonyl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Carbonyl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">could be your alignment is messed up or could be something wrong with your tires. I had the same problem accelerating on the freeway from 65-80 shaking. I changed the tires, and now it doesnt shake anymore</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did an alignment. That's not it. yeah could be the tires... i bought them used

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tuck’d98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how were your tires balanced?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I bought them used at a shop around the corner. Not sure how they were balanced or what you mean. They were put on the machine, then there were "spun".. then a reading came out.. and then they put a weight on there to make it "zero" out.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cambopheonix56 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Something similar happend to me and it turned out to be a flat spot on the tires. Just a suggestion.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No flat spot.. i don't pull my e-brake for kicks..
Old 12-07-2005, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SeaLevel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I did an alignment. That's not it. yeah could be the tires... i bought them used

I bought them used at a shop around the corner. Not sure how they were balanced or what you mean. They were put on the machine, then there were "spun".. then a reading came out.. and then they put a weight on there to make it "zero" out.

No flat spot.. i don't pull my e-brake for kicks..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Weight might have fallen off. Swap wheels and test it out. Easiest way to pinpoint the problem.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SeaLevel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No flat spot.. i don't pull my e-brake for kicks..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Even though you may not pull the e-brake your tires could still wear unevenly. I had a pair of Yokohama ES100's and the front tires wore horribly on the insides despite 100% perfect alignment, body frame and NO DROP in ride height. The outsides had about 30% tread but the insides were showing metal wires.

Even before They were worn like that they would always wobble between 65-85. Now i have Michelin PE2 exhaltos and they ride like Angelina Jolie's ***; soft yet firm.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:27 AM

Default Re: Steering wheel is shaking btw 50-80mph *Searched* (FuNkDrSpOt)

i had this problem on my honda concerto, i just made sure the type preasure was right on all tyres, and then got the tracking on my wheels sorted and it dissapeared, so i would say thats probably whats wrong with your car, its not an expensive job, only take bout 1 hour max.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

</TD></TR></TABLE>

It definitely sounds like a balance issue. What type of rims are these, and what lugnuts are you running? It could be the rims aren't hub-centric, and they aren't centered properly. I have to be careful putting on my snows, because they're on VW rims with a larger hub than stock, and can give an out of balance feel if not centered.

Other than that, I'd say warped rotor. But if you're not having any shake while braking, that would rule that out.

Old 12-07-2005, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering wheel is shaking btw 50-80mph *Searched* (AutoXer)

I had the exact same problem in my truck. Got new tires. Problem gone. Could still be other things, but if I had that problem again, tires would be the first thing I'd check.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

same problem in my car, warped tires was the culprit. however i still had some shake after new tires. turns out my front right strut was blown and caused lots of steering wheel shakage.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dogbiscuit)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dogbiscuit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">same problem in my car, warped tires was the culprit. however i still had some shake after new tires. turns out my front right strut was blown and caused lots of steering wheel shakage.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I hope it's the tires too. They were used. I know its not my strut because it shakes on perfectly smooth roads.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It definitely sounds like a balance issue. What type of rims are these, and what lugnuts are you running? It could be the rims aren't hub-centric, and they aren't centered properly. I have to be careful putting on my snows, because they're on VW rims with a larger hub than stock, and can give an out of balance feel if not centered.

Other than that, I'd say warped rotor. But if you're not having any shake while braking, that would rule that out.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm using OEM Intergra Type R rims. So i dont think that's the problem.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by frampo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had this problem on my honda concerto, i just made sure the type preasure was right on all tyres, and then got the tracking on my wheels sorted and it dissapeared, so i would say thats probably whats wrong with your car, its not an expensive job, only take bout 1 hour max.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what do you mean the tracking on your wheel? YEs tire pressure it correct btw

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GZR4DR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Weight might have fallen off. Swap wheels and test it out. Easiest way to pinpoint the problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ALready swapped wheels. Check the weights, they're on there

thanks for all the replies. I'm leaning towards the tires just because of the fact that they're used. And also maybe they messed up on balancing all of them.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (SeaLevel)

i'm going have to go with a balancing issue. Usually if its the tires you'll feel the shaking from the moment you begin to move.

Also check your front end for loose or worn suspension part. (tie rod, ball joints etc.)

Alex
Old 12-07-2005, 05:35 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (Slamaccord)

Not to be a dick but...

You have all that nice stuff on your EK but couldn't afford NEW tires?
Old 12-07-2005, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Steering wheel is shaking btw 50-80mph *Searched* (ejprimo)

bad tire i hade the same issue
Old 12-07-2005, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GetawayInMoscow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GetawayInMoscow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not to be a dick but...

You have all that nice stuff on your EK but couldn't afford NEW tires? </TD></TR></TABLE>

No offense taken. I used to always buy used tires. Never had a problem before.
It's not like they're cheap tires or anything, just used.

It's just wierd.. cuz I've rotated them and it still shakes! What are the chances all four tires are bad or out of balance?

*pulls hair*... I'll be pissed if i go buy all four new tires and the SOB still shakes
Old 12-07-2005, 07:44 PM

i would just replace till its fixed, no way i cant think of to pin point it
Old 12-07-2005, 09:08 PM

Default Re: (SeaLevel)

No offense taken. I used to always buy used tires. Never had a problem before.
It's not like they're cheap tires or anything, just used.

It's just wierd.. cuz I've rotated them and it still shakes! What are the chances all four tires are bad or out of balance?

*pulls hair*... I'll be pissed if i go buy all four new tires and the SOB still shakes </TD></TR></TABLE>

I had the same problem at one time. Got new wheels and tires. Problem solved. LOL
Old 12-09-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: (mp5o)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SeaLevel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what do you mean the tracking on your wheel? YEs tire pressure it correct btw</TD></TR></TABLE>

as im from the uk we call it tracking, basically it means 1 wheel is running straight, and the other is pointing slightly in or out, or it could be both wheels. have you taken a look at the tyres to make sure if there is any uneven wear, as thats probably the easiest way to find out if your tracking is out, besides looking at it. a garage will be able to tell you near enough straight away if your tracking is out.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel is shaking btw 50-80mph *Searched*