Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Steering wheel shakes when I hit brakes (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/steering-wheel-shakes-when-i-hit-brakes-1141373/)

Jaydeep 02-07-2005 11:31 AM

Steering wheel shakes when I hit brakes

I got 00 civic EX with 50,000 miles on it. I had this problem earlier so I replaced both rotors at 46000 miles. Problem was gone but now its back.
I am guessing problem is my rotor again. But I just put around 4000 mile on it.
I got my rotors from autozone and had 1 year warranty. SO I am going there again to replace them.

But Can you guys think of any other problem except rotor?

00siALLmotor 02-07-2005 11:37 AM

Re: Steering wheel shakes when I hit brakes (Jaydeep)

Brake pads??? Check them out...

Archidictus 02-07-2005 11:38 AM

Re: Steering wheel shakes when I hit brakes (00siALLmotor)

Pads or a fucked up caliper is also possible.

SRCivic97 02-07-2005 11:40 AM

Re: Steering wheel shakes when I hit brakes (Archidictus)

ONLY when you hit the brakes? Check your ball joints...cv boots... Just a thought.

jspresso 02-07-2005 11:41 AM

Re: Steering wheel shakes when I hit brakes (00siALLmotor)

bad or warped rotors, problem being is they are autozone brand, the only things that i get from autozone are things that have a brand name on them or cleaning stuff, i would try to get my money back and get either bendix or something from honda or online.
autozone= https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emthdown.gif
never trust em, never will

92eh3si 02-07-2005 11:42 AM

Re: Steering wheel shakes when I hit brakes (jspresso)

i'd say the calipers if u have the new rotors in.

Luserkid 02-07-2005 11:45 AM

Re: Steering wheel shakes when I hit brakes (92eh3si)

If you put a new rotor on and didnt change the pads then your pads warped your rotor. Whenever you change a rotor you need to change the pad as well.

Jaydeep 02-07-2005 11:48 AM

Re: Steering wheel shakes when I hit brakes (92eh3si)

Problem was gone when I replaced rotors. SO still you guys think it could be calipers?

jlacoy82 02-07-2005 11:49 AM

Did you change the pads at the same time with the rotors? Yes or no.

Jaydeep 02-07-2005 11:51 AM

Re: Steering wheel shakes when I hit brakes (jlacoy82)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jlacoy82 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you change the pads at the same time with the rotors? Yes or no.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No I did not change pads. But pads looked good. So I did not had to change them.

jlacoy82 02-07-2005 11:57 AM

Re: Steering wheel shakes when I hit brakes (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jaydeep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No I did not change pads. But pads looked good. So I did not had to change them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you put a new rotor on and didnt change the pads then your pads warped your rotor. Whenever you change a rotor you need to change the pad as well. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ZylexSNL 02-07-2005 12:04 PM

Re: Steering wheel shakes when I hit brakes (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you put a new rotor on and didnt change the pads then your pads warped your rotor. Whenever you change a rotor you need to change the pads as well. </TD></TR></TABLE>
that sums it up. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

something else to think about:
sometimes if the lug nuts aren't torqued properly, it can cause premature warping of the rotors.

Jaydeep 02-07-2005 12:04 PM

Re: Steering wheel shakes when I hit brakes (jlacoy82)

When I changed my rotors I noticed that one of the caliper's seal was little meesup. Is is ok?

ZylexSNL 02-07-2005 12:07 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jaydeep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When I changed my rotors I noticed that one of the caliper's seal was little meesup. Is is ok?</TD></TR></TABLE>
inspect it well...
which seal? for the caliper bolt guides or the actual caliper piston itself?

Jaydeep 02-07-2005 12:11 PM

Re: Steering wheel shakes when I hit brakes (ZylexSNL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ZylexSNL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
inspect it well...
which seal? for the caliper bolt guides or the actual caliper piston itself?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It was cliper piston itself

miahmouse 02-07-2005 12:15 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jaydeep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Problem was gone when I replaced rotors. SO still you guys think it could be calipers?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not a chance in hell are the calipers causing the vibration, now the calipers could be freezing and causing warpage but at 46k that's highly unlikely.

Either the rotors are warped or the pads are leaving deposits on the rotors. (tsx owners know about this). good rotors (just some brembo blanks) and decent pads and you should be good to go...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
sometimes if the lug nuts aren't torqued properly, it can cause premature warping of the rotors.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
VERY TRUE ALSO

Modified by miahmouse at 4:40 PM 2/7/2005

Luserkid 02-07-2005 01:11 PM

Re: Steering wheel shakes when I hit brakes (miahmouse)

Before anything change your pad's and rotors theres no reason to think its your calipers when its not.

You didnt change your warped pads, so they warped your brand new rotor. Luckly its autozone, theyll exchange it no problem, but while your there buy some pads.

civic nut 02-07-2005 02:41 PM

if your going to change your caliper seal thats fine but very very doubtful this is causing the problem, if the calipers where seized on you would not have failed to notice this when you took the discs off to replace them, have to agree with luserkid its your pads,you have to change discs and pads together likewise both sides together.