Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Steering Wheel Shakes VIOLENTLY Going Over 50 mph, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Shakes VIOLENTLY Going Over 50 mph, HELP!

So when I go over 50 mph in my hatch I start to hear loud sounds coming from the front of my car like my suspension is going over crazy bumps and sh*t and my steering wheel begings to shake like crazy. After I slow down under 50 mph it stops. So I borrowed some rims from my friend, Rota GT3s and notice it doesnt do it no more at all. So I was guessing the blades needed balancing, so I got them done. After I changed my rims again, and drove over 50 mph with the blades on, it started to shake again.. so I tried to read up of what could be wrong, and still have no idea. So I started to look at my car and noticed I got a gap between the rim and the rotors. Does anyone know why?.. it fits perfectly in the back with no gap at all, but yet in the front theres almost a 1/4 of an inch gap. So I asked my friend to see if it had a gap or would shake on his integra, and it was cool on his car after he put them on. So Im really confused on whats wrong, but another thing is that I have integra front breaks on my hatch, can that be a problem?

That gap between my rims is cause of that thing circled, it wont go in the center bore of the rim. I guess cause the rims center bore is smaller then that "thing". Im really new at this so I dont know what it is, but i know it surrounds the axle nut. If you can help me, please reply

Old 08-30-2005, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: Steering Wheel Shakes VIOLENTLY Going Over 50 mph, HELP! (EG6 JDM)

The center bore on all Civic/Integra hubs is the same. If there is a gap in between the wheel and hub it will definately ride like ****. Do you have a closer pic of your hub?
Old 08-30-2005, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Steering Wheel Shakes VIOLENTLY Going Over 50 mph, HELP! (Autoworks)

yeah something is not balanced right or you have a warped rotor.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this is with GSR blade wheels? Usually this would be the nature if there was a gap between the hub and wheel, which can be filled with a hub-centric ring - you find this to be the problem with aftermarket wheels, not OEM wheels.

I would speculate either your rotors are warped or someone might have modified the OEM wheels.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Vero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is with GSR blade wheels? Usually this would be the nature if there was a gap between the hub and wheel, which can be filled with a hub-centric ring - you find this to be the problem with aftermarket wheels, not OEM wheels.

.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think he's talking about that type of gap. A hub ring will only fix a center bore gap between the bore of the wheel and the actual center hub. I think he is saying the acual wheel is not sitting flat against the hub as if it is bottoming out inside the wheel before it lays flat, which means even with the lugs tightened down there is a space between the hub and wheel. All a hub ring would do in this case is sit in the gap behind the wheel as well.
I get that hub problem alot putting rims on cadillacs were the hub has a staggered factory lip where it is doubled up and alot of rims wont go over the 2nd lip.

Get a closer pic
Old 08-30-2005, 06:36 AM

Default Re: (Autoworks)

that happen to me when i hadd rota slips on and then i put steelies on for the winter and my hub bearing went
Old 08-30-2005, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (5thGenCivicKid)

Are the two wheels you tested the same size. Perhaps the rotas put the axle at an angle that the gsr's do not. This might cause some vibrations. Check your Cv's
Old 08-30-2005, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Autoworks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I don't think he's talking about that type of gap. A hub ring will only fix a center bore gap between the bore of the wheel and the actual center hub. I think he is saying the acual wheel is not sitting flat against the hub as if it is bottoming out inside the wheel before it lays flat, which means even with the lugs tightened down there is a space between the hub and wheel. All a hub ring would do in this case is sit in the gap behind the wheel as well.
I get that hub problem alot putting rims on cadillacs were the hub has a staggered factory lip where it is doubled up and alot of rims wont go over the 2nd lip.

Get a closer pic</TD></TR></TABLE>

you might be correct about that, from looking at the pic and his explination, it seemed like there was a gap between the hub and wheel when mounting.

If the wheel is not sitting flat, then yeah HRC's will not fix his problem.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:18 AM

you might have a wheel. why not try to switch the front to back and see if the problem go away.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PhatAcuraIntegra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PhatAcuraIntegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Check your Cv's</TD></TR></TABLE>

That pic is of the rear, no CV shaft.
Is that hub an OE honda part or aftermarket? It may just be wrong.
Post a closer pic without the circle drawn over the hub
Old 08-30-2005, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Autoworks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Post a closer pic without the circle drawn over the hub</TD></TR></TABLE>

The pic is of the rear, but we are talking about the front hubs buddy.

Take closer pics and pics with the wheel on the hub
Old 08-30-2005, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Post a closer pic without the circle drawn over the hub</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha ****...I didnt even look at the pic. to me
Old 08-30-2005, 01:44 PM

Default Re: (a_kaibigan)

Yea its not a picture of my car, I just found it online to explain whats wrong with my car.. but Ill try to post up some pics of my car with the gap and with the rims off
Old 08-30-2005, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EG6 JDM)

if you swapped the rims and the problem went away you already answered your own question. its your rims unless you have some sort of modification your not stating...
Old 08-30-2005, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (portfl0w)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by portfl0w &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you swapped the rims and the problem went away you already answered your own question. its your rims unless you have some sort of modification your not stating...</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not the wheels if he is using an OE wheel. An OE wheel will fit over the OE hub perfectly everytime unless something is wrong with the hub (assuming that the center bore of the wheel is clean and in "normal" condition.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Whatever you do man, i'd replace your rotor's that looks bad. i don't see how they couldn't be warped from stress like that.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just cuz theyre oe wheels does not mean they are not bad. any wheel can go bad (bent, out of balance). if he swapped wheels and problem went away than its wheels. its your wheels or surface your wheels touch unless your not giving enough information. might be steering rack
Old 09-01-2005, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering Wheel Shakes VIOLENTLY Going Over 50 mph, HELP! (EG6 JDM)

try different rims taht fit your rims obviosly dont fit. have you been in an accident? grab the wheel while its in the air and shake it on the hub side to side you should have no play if thers play than you may need steering rack outer tie rod ends. why dont your hubs sit in the rims? theres something fishy about your problem. are the screws that hold your rotors flush with the rotor as to not push out on the rim?