Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

steering wheel shakes violently

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 01:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering wheel shakes violently

on my 98 dx 4 door at highway speeds the steering wheel shakes bad enough that I cant drive with one hand at the 12 position- its embasrrasing how much my whole arm shakes. During braking- holy crap- you better use both hands cause its feels like the steering wheel is going to shakes off!! Its bad. I know the brake discs must be warped for the braking shake, is that why its shaking when the brakes are not being applied though?? The tires have been balanced recently.

Also high speeds are not stable at all in the wheel. Feels very close to losing control when turning over 75mph. Wheel feels loose, almost unattached, numb, disconnected.
help!
Old 08-13-2004, 01:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bent rim(s)??
Old 08-13-2004, 02:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xtremeazian)

na, rims are good. And new.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:10 AM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: (6gcivic)

perhaps your wheels need to be balanced.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: steering wheel shakes violently (6gcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 6gcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> The tires have been balanced recently.</TD></TR></TABLE>

nope
Old 08-13-2004, 02:22 AM

maybe your rotors and pads are done, get new ones my civic used to be pretty bad but changed rotors and pads and they were real nice
Old 08-13-2004, 02:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: steering wheel shakes violently (H.A.R.T b16a1crx)

just replaced the pads (oem Honda) My guess says rotors but come on, can rotors be that warped that they shake the wheel even when not braking??
Old 08-13-2004, 02:53 AM
TSPeed Factory

if they're warped bad enough i suppose they can still shake even when the brakes aren't being applied.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:07 AM
rgs

do you have hub centric rings on your rims? if not that could be ur problem
Old 08-13-2004, 03:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rgs)

no but that reminds me, It did this REAL bad on my 17in rims, but now that I have the 15's its still there just not as bad
Old 08-13-2004, 05:19 AM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (6gcivic)

you need to have your tires balanced and check your tires for out of round and your rims for bends.

as far as the braking matter that it vibrates or pulsates when you brake, why didnt you get the rotors cut if you just replaced the pads?

have the rotors cut, theyre warped.

who balanced the rims? and how much weight do you have on your tires on the outside. go look and see.

Old 08-13-2004, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IVI)

sounds like you threw a wheel weight or something. In winter once I had some ice packed in one of my wheels that caused it to be out of balance. same symptoms.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: steering wheel shakes violently (AzntaggeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AzntaggeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if they're warped bad enough i suppose they can still shake even when the brakes aren't being applied.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, it is possible. Mine got that bad once. Rotors are rotational mass, and when warped enough, can give symptoms of being out of balance. But it's easy enough to get your tires balanced, so check that as well.

Old 08-13-2004, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: steering wheel shakes violently (EX_AutoXer)

yea dude.. you cna get your tires balance for about $12 (for the pair) if you can take your rotors off yourself you can save a whole lot of money by taking them to a machien shop that has the correct machine and get then machined for about $14 (for a pair)...if that does not work check your tie-rod ends (ball joint at the end of the rack of the power steering) to see of easily they move...if the boots on them are torn you can repalce the tie-rod ends your self....then if all else fails tighten up your front-end.. you can do all this your self and save some good money...
p.s. get an allignment ..try a used tired shop..cheaper than a mechanic's shop
Old 08-13-2004, 06:20 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it just the wheel that shakes? Or does the car shake too??
All the time or certin rpm's or speed??
Could be your axle's Happens all the time
Old 08-13-2004, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: steering wheel shakes violently (motormanSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by motormanSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> if you can take your rotors off yourself you can save a whole lot of money by taking them to a machien shop that has the correct machine and get then machined for about $14</TD></TR></TABLE>

If rotors are warped, by machining them it only makes it easier to warp them in the future. Warping is caused by having too little mass, which makes them heat cycle quickly and warp. By turning them, you're just removing more mass. You can get new rotors for about $20 at AutoZone, so just spring for the extra few bucks.

Old 08-13-2004, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Axles may be shot in addition to all of the above. Happened to me when my axles broke. Goodluck
Old 08-13-2004, 07:03 AM

Default Re: steering wheel shakes violently (mEKsican)

ditto bout the axel
Old 08-13-2004, 07:12 AM

Default Re: steering wheel shakes violently (mEKsican)

check your wheel bearings ,ball joints,steering rack,tie rods
Old 08-13-2004, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX_AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If rotors are warped, by machining them it only makes it easier to warp them in the future. Warping is caused by having too little mass, which makes them heat cycle quickly and warp. By turning them, you're just removing more mass. You can get new rotors for about $20 at AutoZone, so just spring for the extra few bucks.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

it's true that if you have less mass then your rotors are more likely to warp because less mass = less stiffness to resist unbalanced forces in the wheel assemply.a warped rotor is most often caused by 1) improper tightening of wheel lug nuts 2) continuous driving on unbalanced/improperly balanced tires.. and a few other things...
but if you have a few bucks..then yea go get some new ones at autozone
Old 08-13-2004, 09:02 AM

Default Re: steering wheel shakes violently (motormanSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 6gcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on my 98 dx 4 door at highway speeds the steering wheel shakes bad enough that I cant drive with one hand at the 12 position- its embasrrasing how much my whole arm shakes. During braking- holy crap- you better use both hands cause its feels like the steering wheel is going to shakes off!! Its bad. I know the brake discs must be warped for the braking shake, is that why its shaking when the brakes are not being applied though?? The tires have been balanced recently.

Also high speeds are not stable at all in the wheel. Feels very close to losing control when turning over 75mph. Wheel feels loose, almost unattached, numb, disconnected.
help! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Forget about all the advice here. Lets start from scratch...

QUestion: DO you feel the steering wheel shaking more when you hit a bump?

If so, you got most probably bad struts in the front. I do not have the specifics with me right now, but, honda has been having problems with this for a couple of years. They also have a recal on front shocks.... Talk to your Honda dealer about this.

fs

Old 08-13-2004, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: steering wheel shakes violently (filthy_shovel)

I will get new Brembo blank rotors. The reason I just did pads and not rotors recently is my brakes were barely working and I didnt have time to do it all. I will never use autozone rotors again Jesse James! I always have problems with their rotors. The shocks/struts are new. Tokicko Illuminas. They are fine.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:14 PM
All Motor Mentor

If you're using aftermarket wheels are you using hub centering rings with them? if not, the wheels can often shake real bad because they're not centered on the hub.

Also check to make sure that the mating surface between the rim and rotor as well as the rotor to the hub/bearing is clean and free of rust and debris. It doesn't take much to "shim" the wheel or rotor off center and cause massive vibration.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: steering wheel shakes violently (00Red_SiR)

I have no idea what hub centering rings are. Needless to say I dont have them. Think that could be it, in addition to needing new rotors?
Old 08-19-2004, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am almost willing to put money that one of your axle4s are messed up

I have had a bearing seize in one of my axles before and my car shook violently

worst of all was the fact that it happend going into second gear at the drag strip so I was stranded there until 2:00am.......it suckled really bad.....first time I have ever watched the frost form on my car.....never been that bored or cold in my life

Quick Reply: steering wheel shakes violently