Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Steering wheel pulsating/shaking hard and pulling to the right! (2000 civic si)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Steering wheel pulsating/shaking hard and pulling to the right! (2000 civic si)

Hey everyone and thanks for viewing. My 2000 Honda Civic Si has been makin some clanking noises for the last coupe weeks. I've been really busy and just waiting for the weather to break to see whats going on. Today on my way to work... the car started pulling hard to the right! As i countered it from swerving and held it straight the steering wheel continued to try to pull right and thus causing the steering wheel to shake and pulse left and right. It does this at all speeds. 0-30 (since theres no way id try going faster than that in this condition.)

The brakes are fine. Tires are very good. My alignment is not off.

I'm thinking tie rod ends. I'm taking it apart now to see whats going on.

I'd appreciate any input!

P.S. YES my lug nuts are tight lol....

Thanks, Ryan
Old 03-17-2013, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering wheel pulsating/shaking hard and pulling to the right! (2000 civic si)

tie rods....
inners and or outers

upper and lower ball joints

completely destroyed wheel bearings

something is broken

bent wheel

any of these can cause you to have the issue you are describing.
let me know if you dont know how to check your ball joints
Old 03-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering wheel pulsating/shaking hard and pulling to the right! (2000 civic si)

i just checked everything... its very strange

the outer tie rod end is a lil loose but just as much as any other car. nothing crazy

the upper ball joint is fine and the lower one needs to be replaced soon but nothing crazy either.

i CANNOT find anything broken loose or damaged that would cause this extreme shaking.

i tried wiggling the tire to test the wheel bearing and theres also no play.

the tire has no wear either.. it even still has the lil rubber furs on the inside wall.

it happend while i was driving so its not a bent wheel. it was fine and then it wasn't all at once.

only thing i need to check still is the inner tie rod

hmmm....???
Old 03-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaTom87
tie rods....
inners and or outers

upper and lower ball joints

completely destroyed wheel bearings

something is broken

bent wheel

any of these can cause you to have the issue you are describing.
let me know if you dont know how to check your ball joints
had the same problems on my ek hatch to find out the crappy handling was due to 3 bent rims. 1 isnt as bad as 3 but have your rims checked out
Old 03-17-2013, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my bad just noticed you said it happened while you were driving. my buddy had an em1 till his front right wheel broke off and got sucked under the car from a failed ball joint. replace the lower one since you KNOW thats a flaw...
Old 03-17-2013, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cleanM1
i just checked everything... its very strange

the outer tie rod end is a lil loose but just as much as any other car. nothing crazy

the upper ball joint is fine and the lower one needs to be replaced soon but nothing crazy either.

i CANNOT find anything broken loose or damaged that would cause this extreme shaking.

i tried wiggling the tire to test the wheel bearing and theres also no play.

the tire has no wear either.. it even still has the lil rubber furs on the inside wall.

it happend while i was driving so its not a bent wheel. it was fine and then it wasn't all at once.

only thing i need to check still is the inner tie rod

hmmm....???
Outer tie rod ends should not be loose at all.

If there's any looseness in any ball joint or tie rod end, they need to be replaced ASAP. There's no real gray area (unless you own a Ford).
Old 03-19-2013, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE I found the problem guys the axle is so fucked that it was literally locking that wheel up since i have the jdm b16 with lsd my driver side wheel is still working while the passanger side is locking causing it to do what its doing.n as soon as i reaized what it was i havent drove it a foot! cant imagine how hard that is on the transmission
Old 03-20-2013, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh man i know my right axle is leaking a lot and needs to be replaced soon. reading this thread i will definitely replace asap. Were you able to get a new axle yet?