Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering wheel

I have a quick question...

I bought a racing steering wheel for my car and heard somewhere that if I get in an accident, the insurance will not cover it since I messed with the safety system. Is this true, or does it vary depending on your insurance carrier?
Old 08-11-2003, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: steering wheel (MissLady)

Like with everything else what they don't know won't hurt them. I have had 2 accidents since I put my Sparco on. 1 I rear ended someone in the rain the other i got rear ended. @ no time was my steering wheel a factor (Probably saved my car getting written off because usually when air bags deploy that's considered a write off...no air bags no problems).

It is unsafe to travel like that though.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: steering wheel (Apex i ITR)

if i get a racing steering wheel with no airbag do i have to report it to the insurance or no?
Old 08-11-2003, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: steering wheel (EG1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if i get a racing steering wheel with no airbag do i have to report it to the insurance or no? </TD></TR></TABLE>
I would think that the rules covering a car's safety equipment vary state to state. I understand in Massachusetts that if a car has OEM airbags, then they are required to be left in the car. You should be able to call your local DMV or insurance agent (anonymously) to ask them this question. It's better to know for sure, than to rely on hearsay from us.

The rules covering track cars are different from the rules covering daily drivers. That just one reason why you see track cars being hauled around on trailers and not being driven on the highway.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: steering wheel (94RedSiGal)

From a legal stand point and saftey stand point....aftermarket steering wheels with no air bags are illegal in most if not all states. Double check you local laws though. I'm pretty sure its the rule on all street driven vehicles.

telling the insurance company is like telling on yourself. I wouldn't say anything. Like i said I've had 2 claims on my vehicle since the steering whell and had no problems.

i always laugh to myself when they ask if the air bags deployed (I thinking...."what airbags), but I answer no anyway. Hey I'm not lying...they didn't deploy.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: steering wheel (Apex i ITR)

well, I've decided to put the wheel in the hatch, since it didn't have an airbag to begin with. Anyone know where I can get a good deal on a type r wheel for the grocery getter?
Old 08-12-2003, 12:47 AM

Default Re: steering wheel (MissLady)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MissLady &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone know where I can get a good deal on a type r wheel for the grocery getter? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good deal and Type R wheel....=....Good luck.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: steering wheel (elwood)

back from the dead because i was looking into this......well my insurance company covers my car if i have a quick release and steering wheel...at first i confused them and they thought will my steering wheel only be covered but they got the concept so everything will be alright