Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

steering system problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering system problems

ok.. just bought a 94 civic ex... there is a little bit of play in the steering wheel, and a popping noise from the drivers front wheel when i hit bumps and whatnot...

i was puttin on some after market wheels, when i noticed the drivers side wheel will move about a half inch from side to side, and i can hear the faint popping noise. the outer tie rod looks like its in good shape, and the whole rod/shaft moves in and out of the steering rack, does this sound like my inner tie rod? or possibly the whole rack?

i tried searching but couldnt find what i wanted... help is very appreciated.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: steering system problems (zbaber)

well off the bat i wouldnt drive the car until u figure out what exactly is wrong. i could only imagine check if everything is tight and in the right place and if you cant visually see whats wrong bring it to a shop or a buddy that can tell you what exacly is wrong.. doesnt should like something you want to hold off on.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:30 AM

Default Re: steering system problems (john666)

i checked everything last night when the wheels were off.... the power steering pump is bad, so the belt is off the pump until i get my other pump today, but i dont see that making it do what its doing. im thinking its either the inner tie rod, or the whole steering rack, but ive never had this problem.. i was hoping someone could chime in thats had thsi problem and verify it
Old 03-16-2006, 09:45 AM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most likely the tie rod, also check your balljoints.

Old 03-16-2006, 10:00 AM

Default Re: steering system problems (IVI)

ok.. just got back from my parents "family mechanic" he usually checks stuff out for me and tells me how to fix it... he said its the inner tie rod.. which would have been my guess.. so its ordered and on its way.. will be replacing tomorrow.. thanks for the replies
Old 03-22-2006, 06:00 AM

Hey, umm, i have a 93 civic DX and i think i have the same problem, maube u might be the best person to help me rit now, my wheel moves about a half a inch also in both directions and i could see at the end of the tie rod where it is connected to the rack, that it is goin in and out a bit of the rack, i dont kno what u call it but its like a lil ball at the end that wont allow it to come out but i dont think that it sould be moving in and out either, and i cant go over 60mph befor the whole wheel starts to shake along with the car. if u where having this same problem, canuy tell me what part u bought that solved it, cuz im not sure if we are having the same problem.