Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

STEERING RATIO NEWS! Swapping Integra pinion assembly to the EK rack

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: STEERING RATIO NEWS! Swapping Integra pinion assembly to the EK rack

why isn't this a sticky?
Old 06-07-2011, 06:38 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: STEERING RATIO NEWS! Swapping Integra pinion assembly to the EK rack

Sticky? No. FAQ. Possibly.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Sticky? No. FAQ. Possibly.
that's what i meant. i already sent a pm.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
You're quoting a post that was made 2 years ago by a member that does not frequent these forums. I doubt you'll get a response from him.
That's why I PMed him as well.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok just did it.

Went very well.

Everything works and fit as OEM.

My integra pinion had 9 teeth, but had the exact same shape as the Civic one. Exactly, not like in the pic shown here on page 1.

Do it !
Old 07-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Trial User

Man, I can't wait to do this. I feel like I'm driving a UPS truck right now. I'm sure this will feel great on the track. Anyone know where I can pick up a used EK PS and Integra rack?

GREAT POST!!!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did this to my car as well. Amazing fix, makes the car driveable finally. And for the record the stock overall ratio was the same as my buddies Nissan Frontier.

pklee, I found my Integra rack for 35 dollar on ebay, I would start there.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by STN_Pat
Ok just did it.

Went very well.

Everything works and fit as OEM.

My integra pinion had 9 teeth, but had the exact same shape as the Civic one. Exactly, not like in the pic shown here on page 1.

Do it !
what year integra/civic ?

anybody did the full rack& pinion swap? i read somewhere that it fits. what parts are needed from DC2?
Old 03-30-2012, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This needs a bump.

Has anyone tried swapping the Integra pinion housing AND HARD LINES onto the Civic rack? From the diagrams, it looks like some minor bends on the rack side of the hard lines might work.

Integra:

Civic:

Literally, lay #21 down against the rack so that it doubles back on itself rather than going straight down.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally got my hands on a pinion over the weekend and I'm finish up my rack. I bagged my attempt to use the Integra lines and valve body. (see above)

I noted that people in this thread have said it's hard to get the Integra pinion back into the Civic rack. Make sure you've backed the rack guide adjuster all the way off before trying to put the pinion in. You're going to need to readjust the rack guide anyway.

Before I reinstall, I just want to see if anyone who's done this has any thoughts on whether or not to use the shim that comes in the Integra rack. Since the pinion shaft dimensions were the same, I'm thinking about NOT using the shim in the Civic rack. Currently, there is no vertical play without it, so I don't see a need for it.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hah... wow I'm happy folks are doing this swap more and more. I actually went power steering 6 months ago, had to fab up my own lines as they were different (inverted vs non inverted flare), but it was fairly simple.

Keep on keepin on guys. Didn't see this in the FAQ section, but hopefully folks haven't forgotten how to search =]

sil80

p.s.: Holy ****, I just realized I've been a member of this forum for 10 years this month. Still a noob according to my avatar though
Old 01-22-2013, 07:07 PM
Trial User

It's in the FAQ. That's how I found out about this mod last week.

It's titled swapping integra pinion assembly into am EK rack
Old 05-20-2013, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally put my modified rack in yesterday while I was doing a transmission swap. Only about 15 miles of driving so far, but it feels great. Very nice upgrade.

BTW - I did end up using the shim that came with the Integra pinion. The "fat" part of the Civic pinion measures slightly thicker than the Integra pinion. Even with the shim, it's still comes up a couple of hundredths short, but the fit was perfect.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gotta forward this to a friend with an EK!
Old 11-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Gotta bump this. Is it correct that this doesnt work with the manual EK rack?

Installed the ITR pinion and was very happy with it. Never had any issues. But recentley my power steering pump broke, and now I am thinking about going manual.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94CivicSi
This needs a bump.

Has anyone tried swapping the Integra pinion housing AND HARD LINES onto the Civic rack? From the diagrams, it looks like some minor bends on the rack side of the hard lines might work.

Integra:

Civic:

Literally, lay #21 down against the rack so that it doubles back on itself rather than going straight down.

So just to make sure I understand this, I am taking #16 on the Integra diagram and replace #14 on the civic diagram, right?
Old 02-13-2015, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This video explains this whole thread in detail.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the video! This is very helpful!
Old 07-30-2019, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I just need the pinion from a 94-00 integra with power steering and it will fit on my 96 DX with power steering removed? It feels good without PS, the ratio is just way off. Going through chicanes is like driving a boat trying to turn the wheel a full turn each way.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheSlimer
So I just need the pinion from a 94-00 integra with power steering and it will fit on my 96 DX with power steering removed? It feels good without PS, the ratio is just way off. Going through chicanes is like driving a boat trying to turn the wheel a full turn each way.
I did this mod on my 98 civic rack, and honestly, the time and effort needed to complete it is not worth it.

You will feel a difference, but that's only because of how horribly slow the stock steering ratio already is; literately any improvement will be noticed.

But the improvement is minor trust me.

I ended up having my steering column spliced and a steering quickener installed along with a custom bracket to mount to the dash frame. It all looks stock.

The car steers like a go-kart now.

Considering the amazing double wishbone suspension and the potential of these cars, it blows my mind how much the stock steering ratio makes them feel like your behind the wheel of a minivan or a sailboat.

Tldr: skip the pinion install, it's not worth the time and effort for the end result. Install a steering quickener instead.
The following users liked this post:
Old 07-29-2022, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wanted to attach this to this thread as well, incase anyone is trying to do it themselves. You can actually do it with the rack still in the car, so it's much less cumbersome of a swap. It can be tricky though.

This video goes through the pinion swap in the car from start to finish and covers topics that aren't discussed here such as which shims need to be used plus some other stuff!

Also, here's an article talking more in depth about the upgrade and why you want to do it:
https://coryinmotion.com/2022/quick-...ing-and-hondas