Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Steering rack question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering rack question

I have 92 civic EG with GSR motor with power steering..i might need to replace steering rack..which one i should get?...EG or GSR one?..thanks guys
Old 09-19-2008, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering rack question (feeldabazzgsr)

bump.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by feeldabazzgsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have 92 civic EG with GSR motor with power steering..i might need to replace steering rack..which one i should get?...EG or GSR one?..thanks guys</TD></TR></TABLE>

EG.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering rack question (Mashimaro)

If it is an EG chassis it has a EG Steering Rack. Replace with the same.

BTW what is wrong with the steering?
Old 09-19-2008, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks a lot guys
Old 09-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering rack question (tazeat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tazeat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> If it is an EG chassis it has a EG Steering Rack. Replace with the same.

BTW what is wrong with the steering?</TD></TR></TABLE>

My steering wheel has some play when the engine off..it's really annoying and when i drive on the freeway..the steering wheel moves a lot ,sometimes i have a hard time to control the car in high speed..is it steering rack problem?
Old 09-19-2008, 05:37 PM

hmm, check rear tire pressure (lower it down to 30 psi or 29), retune the rear shocks to make it softer to add some understeer and the steering wheel should move less when going fast on the freeway. You also probably have a thick rear sway bar, which is probably causing the car to be a little twitchy. Just make the rear a little softer and it wont be as scary when driving on the freeway.

Personally i hate how the civic steering rack feels. It is kind of sloppy and slow in response. Even though you have a civic, you can easily put on a gsr steering rack, it will bolt right up, but after the swap your steering response will be even faster. The first time i took the eg on the freeway with the gsr steering rack it scared the **** out of me because the gsr has a faster steering ratio and turning the wheel a little bit makes the car turn a lot so combo that with a really stiff rear end and type r sway bar means a lot of oversteer. It was easily remedied by deflating the rear tire pressure down to 30 psi and softening the rear shocks to give the car a more neutral balance and slower response.

If you don't have a stiff rear suspension then uh.... check your lower ball joint, it might be worn out and is causing your car to drift back and forth when going too fast. Does the car track straight when you let go of the steering wheel when going 45 mph? if not, get an alignment. I really recommend you get the gsr steering rack if you have a choice. It's way better to get the rack made for the motor and the response is better :-D if you check, you'll notice that the gsr power steering pump pulley is slightly larger in diameter than the civic. My gsr pulley was broken so i figured i could use the civic one even though the civic pulley is about a centimeter smaller. This caused the power steering to be toooo responsive since the pulley is smaller, it equates to the motor turning the power steering pump faster and thus cause more fluid to pumped into the rack and in turn results in a lot of power steering assist all the time. The steering wheel would feel very light and changes lanes too easily when going fast.

in your case, you're running a gsr power steering pump on a civic steering rack that requires more fluid. The gsr pump is not pumping enough fluid to the civic rack when you're going fast. I don' t know what effect that can cause but it could mean that even though you're going 80, your steering rack might think that you're only going 45 because of the amount of fluid that's pumped into the rack and thus doesn't bypass the pressure which means it gives too much power steering assist when going fast.
uhhh

WHelp, good luck

Modified by elsmiles at 6:47 PM 9/19/2008
Old 09-20-2008, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering rack question (elsmiles)

Wow..that's good info there..i am gonna try to lower the tire presure first and get aligment first..thanks a lot..that was a good reading.