Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Steering problems HELP !.. searched 7 hours

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering problems HELP !.. searched 7 hours

ok will try an explain...

the steering feels loose/ light VERY eeasy 2 turn / no feedback !?

the other thing is that it will not self center, after i turn..
from full ontil 1/4-1/2 before the steeringwheel get 2 center it turns by if self.. but then it stops.. but i can easly turn the rest my self.. and it is more noticeble when comming from right turn ,then left turn...

this does i can turn the wheel about 1/4 turn and it stays there.. (car turning but) does not center.. even if i hit the gas..

everything in front suspention is brand new and alingment is ok
i try 14/16/17 " wheels all acts the same...

PLZ HELP !!! no one seem 2 know.. or have some ider... im willling 2 try ANY thing

thx
Old 08-30-2005, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Steering problems HELP !.. searched 7 hours (Zeus Zore)

I will assume the alignment is actually ok... because bent parts, like from hitting a curb could cause this. It could also be in the power steering rack... a hydraulic problem... easy way to test that is to remove the power steering drive belt and take the car for a drive... it will be harder to turn, but if the wheel recenters like it should, then you know there's something wrong in the rack.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering problems HELP !.. searched 7 hours (HondaTechPro)

what parts do are you thinkin about that could cause this.. i change the uppe control arm.. only thing left is is lower control arm .. but with new bushings. etc.

i tried the servo belt.. did do anything execpt it got HELLA hard 2 turn...
still didt wanna return the wheels 2 center
Old 08-30-2005, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BUMB
and driving it today tells me that it is infact mostly when turning right the selfreturning dont work... left seems kinda ok.. but still my steering feels loose/light so.... but i think the loosnes could be fix with new rack/ adjust screw (lucknut)
Old 08-31-2005, 08:41 AM

Yeah, I suspect it is the rack... but just make sure the alignment is ok. There is an alignment angle called caster, and it has EVERYTHING to do with return to center. Alot of alignment shops skip past this, but it is an important angle to measure. However, on Honda's it is not factory adjustable (except s2k). So if your caster is out of spec, you have something bent... usually the lower control arm, but sometimes the steering knuckle, or even the lower beam (sub-frame).
Old 08-31-2005, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok..
plz explain steering nockle ??
and subframe !? lower beam

pic ??

thx

yeah some told me that i could be the lower control arm that was a little bent !?..
Old 09-01-2005, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so did the aligment... agian.. change some.. and its all within spec...
now when i hit the gas it starts 2 turn the wheel to the right side... then if i let go of the gas.. it trys 2 selfcenter..

Old 09-01-2005, 08:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaTechPro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I will assume the alignment is actually ok... because bent parts, like from hitting a curb could cause this. It could also be in the power steering rack... a hydraulic problem... easy way to test that is to remove the power steering drive belt and take the car for a drive... it will be harder to turn, but if the wheel recenters like it should, then you know there's something wrong in the rack.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Please don't tell me that you are a tech and you actually wasted your time doing this.

Old 09-01-2005, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering problems HELP !.. searched 7 hours (JDM-97CX)

see abowe ^¨the alingment.. it is NOT perfect but with in spec.. ?
why does it turn when i hit the gas
Old 09-01-2005, 02:44 PM

Steering knuckle: The cast iron piece that attaches to the upper control arm, and the lower control arm. It also attaches to the tie rod. The wheel bearing is pressed into it as well. It is a complex piece and bending it even slightly can cause poor handling.

Subframe/Lower beam: They are the same part. It is the big metal frame that the engine mounts and transmission mounts are attached to. The steering rack is also usually attached to it. It is the major componant of the front portion of the car's frame.

The pulling to the right on acceleration is called Torque pull, and a small amount is normal... but it sounds like you have more than a small amount. I still have to come back to something being bent.... although it is possible for a tire to wear unevenly and cause a pull similar to what you have described. Try switching the tires from LF to RF and RF to LF..... it the pull goes the other direction, you know it is being caused by the tires.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the tires are BRND new and in fact rotatet already...

ok now i get it.. yes i think maybe the "steering knockle" the one with the wheels bering could have taken damage !? dont know how much they can "take".. i hit at about 35 MPH..

and my camber and caster is weak on that side.. the right side.. also the way it pulls..

yes i know about TQ pull.. but this is not it ! and never had it before (3+ years i had the car..) and tq pull can also be because of a bad lowerball joint...

have the hell do you know if something is bent !?!?!!?
Old 09-02-2005, 02:45 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Zeus Zore &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

have the hell do you know if something is bent !?!?!!?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You know if something is bent because your car pulls one way and after hours of searching on helpful forums, the experts are telling you that you have something bent. If you hit at 35 mph... I would at the minimum replace the knuckle and lower control arm.... then re-align it and see what happens. The car will pull towards the side with the most (+) camber or the least (-) caster
Old 09-02-2005, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

umm im lost with all the responds to this problem...but this is what i understand...and i work on vehicles with alignment issues everyday:

If your car is PULLING to one side UNDER acceleration, check your motor mounts. Loose motor mounts would cause the vehicle to pull to that side...

If your car is DRIFTING to one side, its either your CASTER or your TOE that is out. Again, have them adjust to spec...and yes the caster is non adjustable from factory on most Hondas.

To try to explain caster: It's the gap between the fender walls to your tire. So for example, if you could fit 3 fingers into the gap between the fender and the wheel on one side and only fit 1 finger on the other side (same spot) then you probably have a caster problem.

The TOE is how straight the wheels are aligned to the chassis...if the wheels are turned in a bit or out, it'll cause the car to drift and/or the steering wheel to be off (not center)

Also keep in mind that cheap or crappy tires play a big role...even brand new tires. Some tires could cause the vehicle to pull for some odd reason...just swap them (cross the fronts) Radial tires are prone for this.

Now getting back on topic...it sounds more like the problem could be with the power steering pump or the rack and pinon. Get these checked out too. They rarely go bad on Hondas, but it's not like it can't or won't happen on yours.

Also, if you said your vehicle was aligned already, then you probably dont' have anything bent. The reason is because if you DID have something bent, the alignment machine would DEFINATLY pick it up and the shop wouldve told you that the vehicle was unalignable. At least thats what we do here.

Good luck man and hope this helps some.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering problems HELP !.. searched 7 hours (civicboisi)

is there some why of testing / easure if somthing is bent.. like the knokle or lowercontrol arm ?

and i know what caster and camber is..

tires are yokohama parada.. and tried other tires still the same...

the alingmet did not do much.. and the guy said he could not se anything was wonrg.. since all are with in spec.. but with in spec i think is tomuch.. since it could say you car was ok with +1degree camber and -0,10 caster that would drive like **** !...

i have never had the TQ pull before.. and this is insane.. cause it is really bad..
hit the gas.. it will make the steering wheel turn it self 2 the right...
let go it will start / try 2 selfcenter.. it is not super.. but is get there.. but only when i let go of the gas..
and when i turn 2 the right it also feels like it "over" turns.. like it gonna keep turning more by it self !?!!
Old 09-03-2005, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check your motor mounts yet? Open the hood...rev the motor and see if your engine looks like its ready to fly outta there...bad or weak motor mounts will cause the vehicle to pull under acceleration.

Also, the only way to find out if anything is bent, is by getting an alignment check (which you did already and they said everything was fine) or take it to a bodyshop where they could set it up on a frame machine to see if the frame itself is bent.

Good luck
Old 09-03-2005, 07:52 AM

The easiest way to see if something is bent is to put it up in the air and compare one side to the other. You won't be able to tell the knuckle is bent.... it's a big iron piece that probably is only a little bent from the impact. Look closely at the lower control arm. Look at the other side... the good one. Compare the two. Look at the angle that it sits at, look for areas where the paint flaked off or cracked as the metal bent.

All of the symptoms you have given me, the "overturning", pulling, not self centering, and the pull on acceleration are all the result of the accident. It's hard to describe the way the suspension works with a bent part... but there is no question in my mind that your car needs some repair.

Go to the salvage yard, get a knucle (with wheelbearing and hub already in it) and a lower control arm. If you are handy, you can put these parts on yourself and see the difference it makes.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thx all for trying 2 help !
i im handy do everything on the car my selv..

ok didt know a motor mount could do that.. but since it does not self center.. i dont think its my problem !?...

yes im going 2 a shop 2 morrow where i cent get it on a lift..
and we will try some body measurements 2 see if we can actualy find some thing that is moved... by takin varius points on car and measure distance !...

this is really getting 2 my.. hate when my car does not drive right !!!..
Old 09-03-2005, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had this same problem, never fixed it, steering was hella loose, but i loved it, easier turning for me
Old 09-03-2005, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ironcheftony)

you are visually not going to see a BENT frame or a part unless you really f*ed it up...take it to a bodyshop, put it on a frame machine and the machine will tell you if your frame is bent or not. It's outta your power to tell at this moment. Your eyes aren't going to tell you anything. Just assumptions.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicboisi)

well it is actualy a bodyu repair shop im going 2 so.. will se what we can measure...

but still dont make sence the it will not self center and it turns the wheel when acc. and start returning when i let go.. and and in neutral it just keeps the wheel, with in 3/4 turn to the right, that i turn in same position onless a hit a bumb or somthing then it moves abit..
Old 09-25-2005, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Zeus Zore)

well
change uppercontrol arms
all bushings
lowerballjoints
and tie rods

AND the rack...

the pulling is not there anymore..
but it will not self center still.. about 1/2 turn before center it stops.. and more if i acc. while turning.. !?!?

any bright ideer ??

talked with ALOT og peeps.. nobody have the salution !?...
Old 09-25-2005, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Zeus Zore)

my 93 coupe pulls to the right w/ perfect alighnment , I asked the guy who alighned my car if anything could possibly be bent and he said that his machine would not get it that perfect w/ a bent frame, suspension part,etc... . I did notice that my last kuhmos (711) my pass. side front tire was wearing kinda strange. it was wore down faster than the other three, and my gaps on the front wheels are a little diff. 1 finger in the driver side and 2 fingers easily in the pass. side. I recently put toyo proxes s4 tires on it and it seamed like the first 2-3 weeks the prob. was gone and now it has started back. would this be a bent part on the driver side or pass.? steering rack in a bind? worn bearing? maybe this will help me and the topic originator?