Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Steering issue, car sways while cruising.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering issue, car sways while cruising.

So just driving around town I don't notice this issue, but once I get on the highway it becomes all to apparent. Once I get up to about 55-60mph I'll have to turn my steering wheel left and right to keep the car straight? It's not like crazy left/right adjustments but just a lil bit, but any bit is too much because I shouldn't have to do that at all. Also once I exceed 75mph it gets way worse. To give you a brief description of what it feels like, is if you have ever driven a boat before, that's what I'm talking about, a corrective steering type of situation. I just replaced both inner and outer tie rods a few weeks and it still does it. My car is a 92 hatch, no power steering (manual rack/pinion), it's dropped about 2" and never had this issue before it's just suddenly started and now seems to be getting worse. I already get harassed enough about my car and now I'm trying to fix this so the five-0 don't have anymore reasons to bust my ***** while I'm out cruising. I've never heard of a manual steering rack going bad, just replace the tie rods and you should be ok is the rule of thumb I always went by, but now I'm starting to question that theory. Any feedback, input, or advice would be appreciated... Thanks..
Old 04-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Steering issue, car sways while cruising.

when was the last time you got the tires realigned, rotated, etc?
Old 04-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Id start by checking all the bushings and ball joints, don't forget the rear bushing as well. Also check the shocks, if they are covered in oil or if you push down on each corner of the car and it bounces. If all is good get an alignment.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All tires are brand new (a week or so old), and yeah I'm going to check out my ball joints but that's one thing I haven't done in a while so I need a refresher... If I grab my tire at 3 and 9 and shake it with movement it's my tie-rods, if i grab 12 and 6 and it moves it's wheel bearing is what I remember... But how do I test a ball joint..??

Also, how much movement is considered to much movement when doing the tie-rod test..?? Mine definitely has a little play in it but I can't tell if it's to much or not...

I took it to get aligned and they said I was to dropped, but it's only 2" i can still stick my fingers between gap in fender/wheel.. I have a camber kit on there but just eyed it out to spec the best I can so maybe that's what's causing the sway, I need to find somewhere who will align my car using my camber kit...
Old 04-19-2011, 07:10 PM
k7q
Honda-Tech Member

check the rack. on a manual rack sometimes the bushing inside the rack gets worn out. the passenger side of the rack. try to move the rack shaft and see if it has play.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah it does have a little play, nothing drastic, but I can definitely wiggle it a little bit.. And does anyone have a diagram of what exact bushing we're talking about here, I thought the inner tie rod end just screwed into the rack's end and that was that... Didn't realize there was a bushing in there... Thanks..
Old 04-20-2011, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 04-20-2011, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

afternoon bump
Old 04-20-2011, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when you hold the tire at 12 and 6 and give it a shake, that also checks the ball joints

thing is, you have to have the tire in the air at ride height

that mean you have to jack up the vehicle on the front lower control arms, then give the tires a really good shaking and take a close look at the upper and lower ball joints
Old 04-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Izo
Honda-Tech Member

I experience a similar issue in my EG2 (Euro). This started after putting on some Toyo TR1's. I've been told they're weak in the sidewalls. I wonder if there is a correlation or if it's just worn bushings / steering rack / something else. Did you resolve this issue, Mr. JDM_SOHC?

I was thinking of replacing all the bushings with an Energy Suspension kit - Couldn't hurt, me thinks :S

I'd love to hear more when you get this sorted :-)
Old 04-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This may or may not be normal. When you're driving on the highway, can you see if the road is grooved or not? Because it's actually normal for a car to "follow the road" at times, especially with wider tires.. I've had this happen on a number of vehicles on a particular part of the highway where I live. Now if you're on asphalt (black stuff) where it's like butter smooth but the car still does this, then maybe you need an alignment. Maybe you should get an alignment anyway?
Old 04-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you looked at the actual steering rod? Check to see if all the bolts are tight, at the bottom near the pedals. One of my bolts had fell out and caused the steering to move left and right.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you checked to make sure the tires aren't over inflated?
Old 04-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fleabag
This may or may not be normal. When you're driving on the highway, can you see if the road is grooved or not? Because it's actually normal for a car to "follow the road" at times, especially with wider tires.. I've had this happen on a number of vehicles on a particular part of the highway where I live. Now if you're on asphalt (black stuff) where it's like butter smooth but the car still does this, then maybe you need an alignment. Maybe you should get an alignment anyway?

Very true. My other vehicle has very big offroad mud tires, and its all over the place on the road. New joints, etc. basically the tread/***** are following every flaw in the road. Dropping the air pressure helped out a lot!!!
Old 04-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

probably tires or a bit too much front toe out. maybe both
Old 04-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check your axle nut.. this same **** happened to me
Old 04-21-2011, 08:32 PM
k7q
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDM_SOHC
Yeah it does have a little play, nothing drastic, but I can definitely wiggle it a little bit.. And does anyone have a diagram of what exact bushing we're talking about here, I thought the inner tie rod end just screwed into the rack's end and that was that... Didn't realize there was a bushing in there... Thanks..

#10.

there is no way of replacing it without disassembling the whole rack.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the input guys...

no I haven't resolved it, but i know for sure it's not the road I'm on... I've drove on the road for years and never had this issue now all a sudden I get this... One thing I wonder is, when i replaced my front tires I put the fronts on the back and new ones on front, and since camber was so bad on tires I cambered out the rear to make the rear not ride on the inner or the tire but tried to eye it level best I could and my front ones are tuck in a bit... This has me wondering if since my front ones are tucked in and my rear tires are bowed out a bit, if that would make it do this... I'm going to check ball joints and all that tomorrow and replace the passanger side tierods and see what I get from that...
Old 04-23-2011, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so first off, you've changed settings without an alignment. This changes your toe and more importantly your thrust angle and total toe if it was done to the rear. Second, any play in your inner (#1 in the diagram) or outer (#23,26 left and right) tierod is not something you want. To test the ball joints, jack up the car, use a pry bar or large screw driver in between the knuckle and control arm (right next to the ball joint) using the control arm as the fulcrum point. if there is any play then replace. it sounds to me like you need a shop that has a knowlegde of lowered cars. You can set your own camber to almost right your self by using a string and a paper clip. You'll need a flat surface to test on also. Simply put the paper clip on the end of the sting, hold the sting to the top outer edge of the rim allowing the paper clip to hang down to the bottom of the rim. If you can move the string away from the rim and the paper clip remains on the the bottom then you are cambered in. Honda uses 0.0 degrees of camber in the front and 1.0 degrees in the rear. This should help you get close enough that any shop that you take it to wont be afraid to align it or at least just set the toe for you. Also, because you just got new tires, what are your tire pressures set to? What size tires and rims?
Old 04-24-2011, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bad wheels bearings can cause a 'loose' front end.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for input guys, i'm on my phone now once i get to my computer i'll type full description of my findings..
Old 05-10-2011, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so I'm finally going to go check things out right now... Damn USMC doesn't give me time to do to $hiT..!! lol i'll be back on in about an hour to post what my findings are.. I'm also going to check my axles, not sure if they could have anything to do with this but might as well check while i'm down there...
Old 05-15-2011, 05:12 AM
Izo
Honda-Tech Member

Go AWOL, fix your car, post results, profit! :-)
Old 05-15-2011, 08:56 AM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a bent suspension piece, possibly even your rear lower subframe. I experienced this on a DA I bought about 10 years ago. The guy had it slammed to the ground when i bought it, and when I raised it up, I noticed the "swaying effect" you are describing. It was honestly scary... I could barely keep it in my lane at 80.

When I took it in to a shop and lifted it up I noticed there was a crack in the subframe and some other bent stuff (can't remember exactly, it was 10 years ago) but I never ended up getting to fix it because the car was stolen later that week. =/

Anyway, don't know if that will help, but GL getting it fixed and drive safe.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:50 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Happened to me once when the axle nut became unstaked.

Quick Reply: Steering issue, car sways while cruising.