Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Steering issue on 99 dx.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Steering issue on 99 dx.

So recently I've had a random steering issue, what happens is when you go to turn the wheel L/R it feels like you're at the end of your steering turn radios. And to get it to go further you really have to force it almost as if something is caught in between the pinion gear and rack(chipped/chipping gear?). the thing is it does it randomly and more so when it's been sitting for a while. Had both R/L inner/outer tie rods replaced with OEM Honda ones at the dealership recently if that matters(not cause of this issue). the car is bone stock with 357,xxxKM's. I'm really hoping this isn't rack and pinion related .

P/S fluid is full/recently changed
This car is my DD/Winter car so i'm in need of it thx
Old 11-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Steering issue on 99 dx.

this on a lowered or "slammed" civic?
Old 11-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Car has a bit of a drop but there is still wheel gap, my integra sits way lower and doesn't do this. Also have noticed it's becoming more frequent more so at low seeds/sharp turns so in parking lots. when the car is stationary and it does it feels like the you're "bouncing off" something when turning the wheel as in it springs back not locks like when you reach the end of the car's turn radius.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone
Old 11-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it feel like a rock or more like fluid?

Have you checked that there is nothing physically caught anywhere on suspension?

Is the problem accompanied by any noise?
Old 11-08-2013, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TripleLude
Does it feel like a rock or more like fluid?

Have you checked that there is nothing physically caught anywhere on suspension?

Is the problem accompanied by any noise?
When turning the steering wheel it feels jerky, as in goes smooth for a split second then it gets rather hard to turn not like no P/S hard to turn as if you're fighting something in-between the pinion gear teeth and rack. will x2 check but I recently put my winter tires on so I got a good view of the wheel well's/tie rod area nothing big off the bat. yes and no on the noise you get the slight "screech" as if you had no P/S fluid or the belt was too loose but 90% of the time no noise.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Most probably a problem with the rack. Either the rack guide is binding to the rack due to uneven wear or the meshing gears in the pinion is worn or a combination of both. Try removing the rack guide assembly and repack it with grease. When you put everything back, try different tightness on the rack guide adjustment. See if there is any improvement.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by axis11
Most probably a problem with the rack. Either the rack guide is binding to the rack due to uneven wear or the meshing gears in the pinion is worn or a combination of both. Try removing the rack guide assembly and repack it with grease. When you put everything back, try different tightness on the rack guide adjustment. See if there is any improvement.
Thank you^ this makes sense after googling steering rack guide adjustment, so back the 40mm bolt out all the way and stuff some grease in ? or try adjusting it first. or do you mean remove this whole assembly(circled) ? rust is a big issue for my as this is a winter car so if it involves removing the lines going to it I may have serious trouble. worst case what happens if I have to leave it like this ?
Attached Images  
Old 11-09-2013, 08:20 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While my engine was out, I removed my rack and it was a pain in the ***! even with the engine out!

Good luck with it.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone know what might happen if I can't fix it(too much rust). any real danger or just have steering ?
Old 11-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

One time I thought I was scared of removing a PS rack on a Prelude. When I did the job, I think it took me 2 hours to remove the old rack and install the new rack. I prepared the car to be out of commission for 2 days, but it only took me 2 hours.

If you have rust, get Liquid Wrench Penetrating Oil (not WD-40). Douse it 2 times every 5 minutes and tap it with a hammer and that stuff will work no problem. You will also need a special wrench called a "flare nut end wrench" to loosen those lines. Don't buy just any flare nut wrench, buy a good, solid one like Duralast or Snap-On because they won't flex on you when you try to loosen it... and make sure it is metric and the correct size.

Got it?

It's an easy job but you need an alignment afterwards to get the toe right. It's a good time to replace any ball joints and bushings too since alignment is next.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
, so back the 40mm bolt out all the way and stuff some grease in ? or try adjusting it first. or do you mean remove this whole assembly(circled) ? what happens if I have to leave it like this ?
Start with the easy part.Loosen than big flat nut. Use a 14mm wrench and remove all the way out that rack guide screw. Remove everything untill you see the rack/shaft. Use a cloth to remove the old grease and dirt. Have somebody turn the steering wheel while you feel with your finger the entire travel length of the rack where the rack guide comes into contact. There's supposed to be a groove that matches the grooves on the rack guide. Check if it is still shaped uniformly. It it doesnt, that's whats probably causing the stiffness in the steering whenever it makes contact to the rack guide. If there is no obvious signs of wear, stuff some grease in and put the guide and screws back. Turn the screw in until it gets some resistance. Then loosen it back a half turn. Check the tightness of the steering wheel. You may llosen or that adjustment screw if the steering wheel is still binding.

Do you hear any grinding/clunking noise when the steering gets hard?If there is, there might be a damage on the teeth of the pinion and it needs replacement.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by axis11
Start with the easy part.Loosen than big flat nut. Use a 14mm wrench and remove all the way out that rack guide screw. Remove everything untill you see the rack/shaft. Use a cloth to remove the old grease and dirt. Have somebody turn the steering wheel while you feel with your finger the entire travel length of the rack where the rack guide comes into contact. There's supposed to be a groove that matches the grooves on the rack guide. Check if it is still shaped uniformly. It it doesnt, that's whats probably causing the stiffness in the steering whenever it makes contact to the rack guide. If there is no obvious signs of wear, stuff some grease in and put the guide and screws back. Turn the screw in until it gets some resistance. Then loosen it back a half turn. Check the tightness of the steering wheel. You may llosen or that adjustment screw if the steering wheel is still binding.

Do you hear any grinding/clunking noise when the steering gets hard?If there is, there might be a damage on the teeth of the pinion and it needs replacement.
Thank you ! will get on this asap, no clunking/grinding noise.

triplude: I'm not going to just swap my rack out....that's a last resort. but i'll keep the flare wrench in mind the bolt's are 10mm afaik