Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

STD Stage 4 w 8lbs FW Good for Del Sol D16Z6 JRSC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 XTD Stage 4 w 8lbs FW Good for Del Sol D16Z6 JRSC?

I'm about to get an XTD Stage 4 6 PUC (w/ dampening spring and 2100 lbs presure plate) clutch mated with an XTD 8LBS ULTRA-LIGHT CHROME-MOLY FLYWHEEL. My Del Sol is equipped with an JRSC moderately tuned at 5 psi. Would appreciate any advice or feed back and experience from those who have used same or similar clutch kit. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by spedo; 10-17-2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: STD is actually XTD
Old 10-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: STD Stage 4 w 8lbs FW Good for Del Sol D16Z6 JRSC?

You mean XTD? if so I had a stage 4 of theirs that held 15psi no problem.

Be ready for clutch chatter and a pain in the *** in stop n go traffic though.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: XTD Stage 4 w 8lbs FW Good for Del Sol D16Z6 JRSC?

XTD, yes. Sorry and thanks for the correction. Pls describe what you mean by "chatter" and pains during stop and go. I read from some review that after the 500 ml break-in the chatter goes away. I also used to drive a manual 06 civic and the grab was nicely quick. Would it be similar to this? Thanks.

Last edited by spedo; 10-17-2010 at 11:30 AM. Reason: STD corrected
Old 10-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It will be nothing like a newer civic, it grabs hard and not very smooth, the chatter really doesnt go away per se but you just get more used to how the clutch engages and you just learn how it engages better. And for stop and go traffic its just such a pain because its not smooth and if you get lazy its pretty easy to stall or have a really rough start.

In my opinion for the money it's hard to beat.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ballisticej1
It will be nothing like a newer civic, it grabs hard and not very smooth, the chatter really doesnt go away per se but you just get more used to how the clutch engages and you just learn how it engages better. And for stop and go traffic its just such a pain because its not smooth and if you get lazy its pretty easy to stall or have a really rough start.

In my opinion for the money it's hard to beat.
Good to know. Thanks. How much use do you have on yours? No problems so far other than the chatter?

BTW just paid for the kit (aimco/ebay) and you're absolutely right price is hard to beat. Also, looking to have it done by the dealer.. but will cost more (700 + 15% hst). Another option is a tranny shop which will cost 200 bucks less. Any thoughts?
Old 10-17-2010, 12:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

STD? Sexually transmitted disease clutch. Typos make me rofl.
Would the clutch have the chatter problems even with a heavier flywheel? Not to thread jack just curious if it's just this combo or the clutch in general.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: XTD Stage 4 w 8lbs FW Sol Chatter Problem

Anyone with the technical savvy, by any chance, know what might be causing XTD Stage 4 chatter?
Old 10-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: XTD Stage 4 w 8lbs FW Sol Chatter Problem

Originally Posted by spedo
Anyone with the technical savvy, by any chance, know what might be causing XTD Stage 4 chatter?
Puck clutches chatter, it is what it is. They don't engage smoothly like a full face clutch does. They're really not designed for the street. They also tend to be kind of hard on stock diffs and final drives and they don't last compared to a full faced organic clutch.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:XTD Stage 4 w 8lbs FW Good for Del Sol D16Z6 JRSC?

It will be nothing like a newer civic, it grabs hard and not very smooth, the chatter really doesnt go away per se but you just get more used to how the clutch engages and you just learn how it engages better. And for stop and go traffic its just such a pain because its not smooth and if you get lazy its pretty easy to stall or have a really rough start..
Many thanks ya'all for the feed back. Interesting enough I asked for advice from the vendor on the chatter issue and what came back is pretty much consistent... it should be a lot less after the breakin of 500mls, but it's not totally going away. ..Just got to learn to adjust. I'm excited to see how much additional responsiveness (light flywheel and clutch grab) it'll give, once installed, and will be back for updates..
Old 10-28-2010, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You mean XTD? if so I had a stage 4 of theirs that held 15psi no problem.

Be ready for clutch chatter and a pain in the *** in stop n go traffic though.
Just got the shipment in yesterday, and just wondering if your situation have had any improvement.. matter of any last feedback before I get it installed (or get my head down the chopper).
Old 10-31-2010, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default XTD Stage 4 w 8lbs Fly Wheel Installed - Evaluation

So just for the benefit of those considering the XTD Stage 4 w 8 lbs flywheel, here is my initial experience after just having it installed... got it yesterday from a nearby tranny shop.

- the clutch pedal strength is increased by about 15%
- grab is almost on-off, about 1/4 inch window of clutch engagement, stalled it twice first time drove it but got used to it (very similar to a civic 06 standard, except for the increased pedal force)
- chatter is surprisingly light (had stage 1 with same degree of chatter) and manageable within the window of engagement
- extra acceleration and pickup from dead stop on 1st 3 gears especially, is significantly increased by the 8lbs fly wheel, impressive!

While I'm still in the break in period and might still be too early to tell, my experience is overall, very positive. For the value, cost is hard to beat!

Last edited by spedo; 10-31-2010 at 05:13 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

xtd is junk
Old 11-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

refer to this post, that was just below yours:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/xtd-stage-4-went-bad-2277498/

he says they are junk, along with many others.

if you want to buy an ebay clutch, get an exedy and a lw flywheel from there... otherwise, get an exedy and a lw flywheel from a store...
Old 11-03-2010, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:XTD Stage 4 w 8lbs FW Good for Del Sol D16Z6 JRSC?

Originally Posted by Cynical 1
refer to this post, that was just below yours:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2277498

he says they are junk, along with many others.

if you want to buy an ebay clutch, get an exedy and a lw flywheel from there... otherwise, get an exedy and a lw flywheel from a store...
A lot of the XTD Stage 3 feedback was like a toss in the air, hit-miss kind of thing, with a lot of misses.. that's why I went for Stage 4 XTD. Feed back on this was mostly positive as my experience seem to indicate (not to endorse it, I've so far used it for 4 days now about 300km of stop and go city driving).. so its a calculated risk for me... I personally like the strong force/feel of the clutch pedal and the sensitivity of the grab having driven standard cars for 30+ yrs now (along side automatic cars), but this is just me and may not be for everyone's liking especially for daily city driving. (I do like the extra workout it's been giving my left leg though ).. ...hopefully, knock on wood, it'll at least lasts for 80k km or 2-3yrs. worth of driving..