Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

state ref

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 12:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default state ref

ok heres my delima.

i got a ticket for modified emission.(damn pleasant hill police! that **** had a book full of pics with mods to nail me on, no joke)

heres the solution.

1. replace all mods and try to pass visuals with my 1st gen b16 (ITR IM/TB, fpr/guage, fuel rail, cheapo header, aem CAI, exhaust)

2. because of this i sent out my cousins gsr block to get rebuild so i can BAR it, however its a '96, from research i have to convert everything to OBDII.(the ECU is what i really hate!)

3. swap in my friends complete CX setup. it will be a quick fix but later on down the line i will have the same problem again.

4. pay the fine(even then, i will prolly still encounter PH police down the line because i have to drive it to school, so it'll be the same thing all over again)

5. buy a JDM gsr and BAR it(kinda low on funds here)

now, i am more curious about BAR-ing it, its something that i've always wanted to do after i was done with my lsvtec project(BTW, my parts will be up for sale soon). as i said before, the motor's a 96, will they look it up? and whats the difference between having a JDM 96 motor converted over to OBDI and a USDM 96' motor converted into OBDI?

if i dont go with BAR-ing it, i will put some pr3/p30 pistons in it. if i do so, will that pass emmissions at all? the motor is at the shop right now and will be in the process of rebuilding within the next couple of days. i need to make my decision now... give me some input guys

Old 07-19-2004, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: state ref (DOHCtorTHRUST)

well I know with an LS Vtec you wont pass at all.

what did he write up about your car? I would just take it in that way and ask the REF man what is needed to be legal. you get 1 free re-take.

as far as the '96 motor goes.. yes you will need to convert to OBD-II

if you put in the B16 JDM motor in you will need an ECU and SOMG equimpment from a OBD-I DelSol DOHC , which is expensive to get a hold of, unless you can ask someone to let you borrow it then get a chip'd P28 and put that in once you get the bar sticker.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kinda lost cuz its late but wat kinda engine u got?
Old 07-19-2004, 12:49 AM

Default Re: state ref (BatuKing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BatuKing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well I know with an LS Vtec you wont pass at all.

what did he write up about your car? I would just take it in that way and ask the REF man what is needed to be legal. you get 1 free re-take.

if you put in the B16 JDM motor in you will need an ECU and SOMG equimpment from a OBD-I DelSol DOHC , which is expensive to get a hold of, unless you can ask someone to let you borrow it then get a chip'd P28 and put that in once you get the bar sticker.</TD></TR></TABLE>
ya
Old 07-19-2004, 12:50 AM

Default Re: state ref (egcoupe)

dont u just hate cops in cali. i knoe i do. specially cops in castro valley, hayward and union city, u mite knoe how they are DOCHtorTHRUST cuz it says ur from the town
Old 07-19-2004, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BatuKing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well I know with an LS Vtec you wont pass at all.

if you put in the B16 JDM motor in you will need an ECU and SOMG equimpment from a OBD-I DelSol DOHC , which is expensive to get a hold of, unless you can ask someone to let you borrow it then get a chip'd P28 and put that in once you get the bar sticker.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i've read aobut someone passing a usdm 96 gsr motor as a 95. ref's dont know how to check the year of the motor, unless there's a vin # on it.

i pesonally have a sir-1 motor on my car and have converted to obd1 with $50 in parts (intake manifold off a usdm b16a3, stock parts from original motor) and $200 for a usdm p30
Old 07-19-2004, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: state ref (dantastic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i've read aobut someone passing a usdm 96 gsr motor as a 95. ref's dont know how to check the year of the motor, unless there's a vin # on it.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually they do.. they check the casting numbers.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BatuKing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

actually they do.. they check the casting numbers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the ref i went to DID NOT check the casting #'s.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: state ref (egcoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egcoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">kinda lost cuz its late but wat kinda engine u got?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

b16a

yeah, cops blow *** big time... never have i ever once in the past 3+ years have i ever gotten in trouble with this swap with OPD...
Old 07-19-2004, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BatuKing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>

modified emissions, he started pointing at a bunch of **** but i acted dumb and said that my bro gave me the car... he just said it was too many to write down and made a point about my header...

i should of gotten a JDM 4-1
Old 07-19-2004, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you get a jdm 96 motor you can convert it to obdI and it won't matter. Just don't tell them that it is a 96. Sometimes they want paperwork from the acura dealer stating that You are using the correct ecu for that year motor. So you would need a usdm ecu from an obdI gsr.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

got like a single cam motor laying around ahah. that works too! if ur going to do all the work taking ur mods apart. i say get a single cam motor haha
Old 07-19-2004, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: state ref (SimpleGreen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SimpleGreen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">got like a single cam motor laying around ahah. that works too! if ur going to do all the work taking ur mods apart. i say get a single cam motor haha</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, thats true...its a quick fix with the SOHC but i will never respect myself with it, so eventually i will drop a DOHC back in and will prolly come across this problem again.

as of right now i have three DOHC VTEC's

B16a-currently in the car
LSvtec-bottom end is getting ressemble, spun a rod bearing
GSR-bottom end getting reassemble as well

but i'm thinking of either putting my friends b16a2 and BAR-ing it or a JDM GSR...

anyone has suggestion as to what site that carry the best price in long blocks?
Old 07-19-2004, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DOHCtorTHRUST &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
but i'm thinking of either putting my friends b16a2 and BAR-ing it</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats going to be alot of work.. you would have to convert the whole car to OBD-II including the DLC connector.. I wouldnt tackle this unless you have very good knowlege of wiring.

Just go and find an DelSol ECU and put the correct smog equipment, put the correct header, intake, and other parts. then REF that. its less headache at this point.