Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Starting problems can any1 help me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problems can any1 help me?

i got a 1997 honda civic ex wit a d16y8. has headers back wit cat and an skunk2 intake manifold and a short ram intake. old ckp sensor got chewed through by my alternator belt so replaced that wit a new one. engine has a slight tapping noise. everything runs good wen it runs, but onces i a while wen the weather is **** and damp my car won't start and has to be jumped than will run fine but if i shut it off right after i jump it, it won't start. i gotta leave it running or drive it around for awhile. this ever happens or a perfect nice day out. can any1 help me out ait any suggestions on wat to do or check out???

p.s this is my 2nd battery, still having the same problem. and my terminals r tight and clean ,corrosion free. and it won't even crank. i turn the key and all lights and everyhting work except for the temp., check engine, and battery light on the dash those don't turn on or turn on very lightly. and wen i depress the the clutch i hear a click and those 3 lights shut off wen there dim

Last edited by meinerogd; 09-23-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Starting problems can any1 help me?

help?
Old 09-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon6 Re: Starting problems can any1 help me?

Originally Posted by meinerogd
i got a 1997 honda civic ex wit a d16y8. ... can any1 help me out ait any suggestions on wat to do or check out???

p.s this is my 2nd battery, still having the same problem. and my terminals r tight and clean ,corrosion free.
Have you checked the ground wire all the way to the chassis, not just at the terminal, for your battery? Since the engine starts when you jump it, sounds like your battery ground is not good (intermittent).
Old 09-22-2009, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an intermittent starting problem and it was a loose ignition wire to the starter solenoid. Another possibility is that it is just a bad battery (check the acid levels in the battery before coming to that conclusion). Bad ground as Mangotreemechanic suggested is also possible (check/replace terminals (especially if your still using the shitty OEM versions))

If it is crappy brand like Autolite, or possibly if you park on a hill with a crappy brand battery, it could have gone bad on you.

Hope that helps, otherwise good luck.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Have the alternator tested.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alternater tested good. and i have a die hard battery from sears it tested good
Old 09-23-2009, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Test for a parasitic battery drain.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sometimes the starter solenoid coil can have an intermittent-open issue or bad contact terminal. You did say it was a 97, has the starter or starter solenoid ever been replaced?

Try tapping on the solenoid next time the problem occurs (or maybe before the problem occurs, try tapping on it to see if you can get the car to fail-to-start or get a bad ohmmeter reading).
Old 09-26-2009, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how do i test for a parasitic drain? and yes the battery is original and i tried tapping it but nothing happens, now the car doesn't even start now. i was wondering which relay besides the main relay could cause nothing to work. i mean nothing works besides head lights and tail light. no dash light, radio, or power windows or locks.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i mean the starter is the original... my bad
Old 09-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you hear the fuel pump kick on at all when you turn the key? If not, I would lay money on it being the main relay (located next to your left foot, close to the clutch pedal).

My Main Relay actually went bad over time. Kicking or tapping the relay sometimes bypassed the problem (and made me feel better too). By the way, the main relay has two separate relays enclosed...

Wait, does it turn over at all?

Name:  main relay.JPG
Views: 5531
Size:  17.3 KB

Last edited by Simkin314; 09-26-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry, I didn't read your post fully before posting.

Does the engine turn over and fail to start, or not turn over at all?

I would check your ACC circuit (the headlights and brake lights have nothing to do with your key turn, but many of the other miscellaneous functions like your windows and radio require your vehicle in ACC mode (key turn)).

I don't have my manuals or any electrical diagrams right now, otherwise I would try to trace the circuits for you...i.e. grab some electrical schematics and trace down the failing electronics (if you have come to a dead-end checking the fuses and relays via the fuse box covers for identification).
Old 09-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no anymore. now nothing works but i jus blew the ignotion fuse. before everything worked fine jus didn't turn over or crank, jus heard a kick noise so ima check that out tomorrow. u said by tapping it it might help it, i'll try that tomorrow
Old 09-27-2009, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

found the short it was under the driver side dash by the steering colum, the metal support thats there was crushing something so i removed it. and i think it was the starter i tried tapping it today and it started so it must be my starter but i still don't under stand it, cuz it doesn't even crank wen it doesn't wanna work so how would that be the problem?
Old 09-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by meinerogd
found the short it was under the driver side dash by the steering colum, the metal support thats there was crushing something so i removed it. and i think it was the starter i tried tapping it today and it started so it must be my starter but i still don't under stand it, cuz it doesn't even crank wen it doesn't wanna work so how would that be the problem?
the starter could have a bad comp in it by taping on it it causes things to make contact and work when the starter fails to turn the engine wont turn and no start. an electrical problem in the starter will cause a heavy load on the battery and could dim dash lights and blow a fuse pull the starter and have it tested
Old 09-28-2009, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good job finding the problem...

Sometimes the starter solenoid contact can burn up if: it is used frequently (such as long term usage), the starter motor bearing got clogged up (causing excessive current draw during start-up through the contact), and others that I can't think of right now.

Just to bring up, the motor could still be good, just the solenoid contact could be bad. Make sure to check the resistance of the contact inside the starter solenoid (while it is energized) just in case you could save a few $$ (unless there is unusual wear on the motor causing resistance to turn). Else, just replace the whole thing and 'jolly ho, off to work we go'