Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Starting problem only after rain/pop spill

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 12:44 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problem only after rain/pop spill

Ok so i have been searching for a long time now for answers on forums all over the internet but i havent found anything that is close to my problem.

First some background info. Car is a 1994 civic cx with a 1991 crx hf d15b8 swaped in. 5spd. Did a tune up when buying car a year ago; New spark plugs,spark plug wires,new fuel filter,swapped out crappy cai for stock one to pass emissions.

Ok so about a week before the incedent i went to dairy queen and bought a large drink and i spilled it all under the drivers dash and there was standing pop by my feet and i tried to scoop it all out but i couldnt get it all and i think this also might have something to do with this problem
Now to the problem, I drove the car around 20 miles in pouring down rain, driving on the freeway was the same as driving in a lake i was hydroplaning everywhere b.c of all the rain. most rain i have ever driven in while my 24 years in Washington state this day was the worst. now after i pulled over off the freeway and stopped on a sidestreet b.c i thought my car was running sluggish. i turned the car off, popped the hood to see if anything was wrong everything looked fine, didnt hydrolock the car after looking at the air intake so went back into the car. Tried to start the car but the fuel pump didnt prime and then while trying to start it it would click and tick lick crazy and the sound came from under the dash area by my feet. My speedometer whould also go crazy and bounce from 0-120 and everywhere while trying to start the car. But I checked all my fuses under the dash everything was fine. so i just looked over my car again and couldnt find anything wrong. couldnt get it to start tried to even get a jump start and no go. so i got picked up and just left the car to see if it would dry up and start when i came next time to try to pick up my car. So after two days i come back and it starts right up the fuel pump primes and it fired up like no problem ever happened i let it warm up and then drove it home with no problems. So then i didnt drive the car very far from my house being scared it would not start again when i was far from home. about 2 weeks after the first incedent i drove 2 miles to my gym in hard rain again. Went and worked out for 2 hours and came back to the car and then i had the same problem as before car would not prime and clicking and ticking happened again and i had to get picked up again.
If anyone has had simular problems and could point me in the right direction as to fixing the problem it would be great.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Starting problem only after rain/pop spill

Well this is an electrical problem, I would start o by checking the terminals on the battery. Then i would have the starter and alternator tested..