Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Starter won't start HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter won't start HELP!!!

Hello.

A few days ago, I was running around town...parked my car when I went into a mall. Car was running fine. EK, 1998 CX hatch, D16Y7, injen intake, apex'i WSII exhaust. Came back out an hour or two later, wouldn't start.

All that happens when I try to start my car is hearing the master relay and starter solenoid click. Can hear fuel pump humming a little too. Doesn't even try to start turning over, just nothing.

I've checked the master relay, can't find any component damage/solder problems on the pcb. I also installed a whole new starter. Couldn't find any loose grounds or power cables either. Checked voltage, getting 12.6V, but no current. No odd noises when I turned it off for the last time, so I'm pretty sure it isn't siezed or anything like that.

Any ideas what I should check next? I really need to get this car on the road again as soon as I can.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Starter won't start HELP!!!

have you tired tapping on the starter while someone is turning the key?
if not just grab a hammer and hit the starter not to hard but a couple good thumps.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try jumping a wire at the starter to see if it turns over, make sure car is in nuetral first if is turns over its possible your clutch safety switch went bad
Old 03-26-2009, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by hondachris1994
try jumping a wire at the starter to see if it turns over, make sure car is in nuetral first if is turns over its possible your clutch safety switch went bad
also that might mean your ignition switch is bad
Old 03-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I JUST had this same exact problem. Anything else to look for?
Old 03-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondachris1994
Uh...and it's an automatic lol forgot to mention that. As for hitting it with a hammer, I just installed a new starter yesterday trying to fix this...I can hear it clicking when I try to start the car. Not stuck.

I'll check out the ignition switch idea though...
Old 03-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah mines a manual. My friends coming over to help me hit it with a hammer. But like the OP said, I can hear it clicking under the dash board, by the fuse box fairly often. Not every time but like 30% of the time.

Any other suggestions?
Old 03-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for some possible answer.

Im experiencing the same thing except mines after a Cabin Harness swap.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:56 PM

I would see if your battery is producing enough voltage to surport your starter check your power and ground to it.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:17 PM

Your probably gonna want to check at a few different locations for juice. I'm assuming you have already jumped the starter externally to make sure its engaging. Remember just because you get something new, doesn't mean its not junk. After that, what i'd suggest is following the route in the wiring back to the ignition checking it at relevant locations.

If it were a manual i'd advise you to try a push start and see what happens.

Well first make sure you can get it to engage freely, and it sounds like nothings seized up from what you say. You could also have a starter that will not fully engage under a load. I just had one of these in my shop a few weeks ago.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thought it might have been the starter so I got it tested and its fine.

Tomorrow Ill try to get the battery checked and see if thats the problem. If thats not it then Im lost

Ive push started / jump started my car twice since the starter "died" and it runs / drives just fine.

Thanks again for the advise
Old 03-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problem a while back just with a few more problems. It was my transmission ground. I took it off cleaned up the wire on both ends and wirewheeled the contact on the chassis to bare paint and it ran beautifully
Old 03-27-2009, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok...an update.

Magically, I tried starting the POS, and it started just once, just enough to taunt me. Revved it a few times, turned it off and tried again. Wouldn't start.

I took my 75A battery charger/starter, and boosted the starter directly (I realize that the starter actually takes about 340A to operate fully, if memory serves). Funny thing happened...the starter kinda started spinning, choking a few times, and then fully spooled up after 2-3 attempts. Being its first actual use, maybe the starter was having a few hiccups. Car still wouldn't start after this, so it really wasn't the problem. So it seems that the starter solenoid is getting the signal, but can't draw the current to spin the motor.

I realize I said earlier that I checked out my main relay a while ago, and said it was fine. After boosting the starter, I'm starting to think that it really is the problem...burnt out contacts, perhaps?

I have the relay on order, since I live in a crappy town consisting of 90% trucks, and 50% of those being dodge. Be here tomorrow. Here's hoping its not a waste of money

Last edited by mtriples; 03-27-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Had the same thing but it was my battery...no joke.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

The starter is connected to two wires, a large Blk wire running directly to the battery and a Blk/Wht wire for the solenoid that gets power through the ignition switch. Disconnect both wires at the starter, and then use a voltmeter to:

1) Check whether the Blk wire at the starter has battery voltage regardless of whether the ignition key is ON. My guess is that you will find the problem here.

2) Check whether the Blk/Wht wire has battery voltage when the transmission is in Park and the key is turned to ON(III). I think this is fine as you hear the solenoid click.

As mentioned, double check that the transmission ground connection is clean and tight. Also clean the battery posts, connectors, and ground wire with steel wool and then tighten.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
As mentioned, double check that the transmission ground connection is clean and tight. Also clean the battery posts, connectors, and ground wire with steel wool and then tighten.

I'm telling you man... I'm almost 90% sure this is where your problem lies. Check what ron said and im willing to bet its all comes out good.

So

weak battery + poor grounds = strange **** happening.

Clean that trans ground GOOD on all contact points and I'm willing to bet it'll start right up.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jtmartin96civic
I'm telling you man... I'm almost 90% sure this is where your problem lies. Check what ron said and im willing to bet its all comes out good.

So

weak battery + poor grounds = strange **** happening.

Clean that trans ground GOOD on all contact points and I'm willing to bet it'll start right up.
Ok...got it figured out, after a week of racking my brains and $300 canadian wasted. I've been so busy looking at the grounds, electronics, etc, that I forgot to look at the other side. Car is working fine now, and the only thing I did right before was play around with the terminal block on my positive terminal. Looks like the positive cable for my starter was covered in corrosion (not the terminal, rather the set screw and copper themselves). New terminal blocks installed, and when I have time, I'll be changing the cable to the starter, too.

At the same time, I'm not feeling at all cheated about this...I've seen starters go at the most inopportune times (roadtrip, 200km from the nearest shop or parts store), so I'm kinda happy I got a new one in.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had this problem once.. it only happens in the winter, and this was with a new starter, i just tapped on it a couple times and it started right up.. like a dead cell.. for those that have same prob and havent fixde