Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Starter won't crank engine of my eg

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter won't crank engine of my eg

alrite well long story short got hatch needed to rebuild the tranny .. did rebuild the tranny now imstuck. I fixed every main thing I needed to fix to get the car running wiith the help of my step father , and we had got it running about a month ago but it took us a bit to get it started when we tryd ..I forgot what it. Was but at first it wasnt turning over so it was electrical and my step father startd messing around with it .. he took a wire frm the battery straight to the starter and that was working. .. then he went under the dash to find something was unplugged and that I did not have a clutch switch ... but its been a month since then he left and I finished up. the little stuff ...but now it doesn't wana start sounds like the same electrcal problem but when i tryd The same thing with the starter and it didn't even turn like it did with him... and I'm sorry I kno I'm not given a lot of details but I'm a noob at this tryning to learn and icantget in touch with him. . So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas?
Old 09-22-2010, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: helpp getting my Eg startd

too vague to figure out.
start with the battery. is it a good battery with a good charge?
do you start the car from inside the car with the key? or
do you always have to tap the starter wire with a wire ran from the positive battery terminal?
is your spark plug wires in the correct firing order? look online for a diagram to show you if they are not in order the car will try to start but it will never run.
do you have gas?
Old 09-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

myheadhurts need more info on the problem at this point it could be anything but I would first check the battery
Old 09-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just to ask do you get any codes from the computer? If so may want to start with that. The firing order for the plugs are 1342. The dizzy start from the bottom lift then clockwise.The #1 piston start from the timing belt then go to the left.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Starter won't crank engine of my eg

sorry guys i disappeared but it wuldnt be the battery or the spark plugs cus i havent touched them and i started it before with the spark plugs in the same position there in now .. and ive tryd two batterys already and i also tryd no battery with booster cables which didnt work ether ...

i was jus told last night from the guy who owned it before me that there was a button under the dash that he used to start the car .. he also told me that the car came with it when he got it and he had jus moved it .. that button was connected to the starter , he thought since it was there something was wrng with the ignition

the button isnt connected now tho !

the tricky thing is when i got the car started last month i didnt have to press no button .. i did the direct wire from the starter to the battery + .. which i literally just tryd again and nuthing at all

im really having trouble here i need help
im tryn to give as much info as i can , and if theres anything i shuld check let me kno i will and ill take pics to show whats what , im rele kinda new at this especially electrical stuff
im just trying to get the car running so i cann sell it

and when you dnt have gas doesnt your car still turn over ? jus not on rite ?
Old 09-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=inline4;43602636]
do you start the car from inside the car with the key? or
do you always have to tap the starter wire with a wire ran from the positive battery terminal?
QUOTE]

ive done both since i got the car but remind you guys i never even drove the car yet .. only had since the end of july
Old 09-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bumpp i need help
Old 09-24-2010, 08:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Have we checked fuses?

The direct wire touch probably blew a fuse. Check both in car and under hood fuses.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okay, i think i got your starting thing figured out.

he put a push button start into the car

in able to bypass pressing the clutch to start the car with just the push button, he had to disable the clutch start, which he just took out and probably wired to the push button start

however you still need to have the key in the ignition and in the on position to get power to the starter in a manual car

so put your key in the ignition, turn it to on, push the push start button. it might be disconnected from your step father messing around under there so you may have to reconnect it.

if that doesn't work, you start by troubleshooting.
if the starter is not turning, you might have bad grounds, make sure the ground wire is hooked up from the battery to the chassis, and to the chassis to the transmission.

if it is hooked up, and you still can't get the starter to turn with the key+push button, or with a wire from the positive of the battery to starter(you have to tap it against that bolt that is hidden under the rubber cover, a white wire should be running to it), then maybe it's a bad starter.

try that out.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys i needed this help .. ill try this as soon as i get home to the car

but one thing the wire to the button were cut so i was wondering if you knew what colors that it wuld be cus i kno i have two cut wires hanging there i jus wana make sure its the rite one

and to check fuses just pull and look right
Old 09-25-2010, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by brooklynEG

The best way to check installed fuses is with a test light as described at the Test Fuses link in my signature.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by brooklynEG
thanks guys i needed this help .. ill try this as soon as i get home to the car

but one thing the wire to the button were cut so i was wondering if you knew what colors that it wuld be cus i kno i have two cut wires hanging there i jus wana make sure its the rite one

it shouldn't matter which color, as long as you are sure there are only 2 there, just reconnect them to the push button start, or even a regular on/off switch.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

SUCCESS i got it to turn over .. i pulled the fuse box out and there was a wire unplugged , but now its turning over jus not on .. and i added more gas .. any clues?