Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Starter will rotate but engine will not turnover.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter will rotate but engine will not turnover.

Looking for help. My '99 EX w/90K was running fine yesterday. Today it would try and start, but not catch/turn over. During the 1st attempt it seemed like it had the very beginnings of a "shudder" and would start, but it did not last and simply continued to rotate. I replaced my fuel filter, plugs & cap not too long ago (15-20K ago) so I am hard pressed to think that the cap has cracked or has moisture (I will check this though) or that the filter needs replacing. Although weather turned icy w/in past 24 hours, car has been in moderately temped garage. I'm no gearhead unfortunately, but I can follow advise and directions plus I have a Haynes to help. Any suggestions as to what's up would be great. Also, should I be able to hear the fuel pump kick on when key turned to "on" if I put my ear against rear seat? And if I need to jack with the pump, how hard is getting the rear seat out?
Old 01-14-2007, 07:16 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you considered the most obvious culprit for a no-start in cold weather on a healthy car?

The battery. Get a jump and drive to Autozone and get it tested.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you considered the most obvious culprit for a no-start in cold weather on a healthy car?

The battery. Get a jump and drive to Autozone and get it tested. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The motor is rotating and attempting to start and he didn't mention it was turning over slow.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:29 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (nsxmatt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxmatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The motor is rotating and attempting to start and he didn't mention it was turning over slow.</TD></TR></TABLE>

True enough, I didn't read it well enough.

I'm a little slow this morning, didn't get much sleep. Been up since 6am .... and I won't get off work until 9pm
Old 01-14-2007, 07:39 AM

Default Re: (Eran)

Correct about not turning slowly. It seems to turn fine, just won't catch. Checked the fuse, not the issue. Guy at Auto Zone said to also check the relays. Anyone know how to do this and where it is located? Thanks for the postings.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:47 AM

Default Re: Starter will rotate but engine will not turnover. (cdansl)

Update: I just stuck my head under the tank while my wife moved the key to "on" and it sure sounds like the pump is coming to life. Did it twice to confirm. Attempted another start, no luck. I'm going to go ahead and check the cap for cracks/moisture.

Also, I pulled a plug and tried the started to see if a spark was happening. I did see one but only after about 2 and a half seconds of the starter running. I don't know what's normal but I was expected a few more sparks.

Modified by cdansl at 10:34 AM 1/14/2007
Old 01-14-2007, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

make sure you are getting fuel and spark. take your plug wires off 1 at a time, and touch them to a bolt and make sure you see a steady spark jumping. that will let us know you have spark.

Fuel, you should hear a light humming sound when you turn the key to "on." I can hear mine just fine from the drivers seat. no need to put your ear on the seat.

If you dont know what to look for, theres always another way to check for fuel but you better be willing to get sprayed with gas, take the top nut loose on the fuel filter then try to prime the pump, gas should go everywhere.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Starter will rotate but engine will not turnover. (jadugartir)

I had a spark but as previously mentioned, it was not "steady." How quickly should it spark?

And yes, the hum of the pump is there.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:48 AM

OK, just by reading your title, I'd say that would be a problem with the armature extending to the flywheel/flexplate. So a starter problem. Have your wife watch your belts and try starting it. Did the belts spin? Then yes the engine is turning over.