Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Starter Relay keeps blowing!!! =[

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Starter Relay keeps blowing!!! =[

I know its not a honda but since I'm still trying to get my EJ to start after the swap this was my only vehicle and now that it went poo poo on me I have nothing to drive!!!
maybe you can help me out?

A couple days ago I went to start my dads 94' Dodge caravan and all I hear is a clicking sound from the starter. assuming it was the starter solenoid that was damaged I replaced it with a brand new starter and it ran fine until today when I tried to start it all I heard was a clicking sound but this time it was coming from the Starter relay/switch in the fuse box. I went to autozone and got a new relay and the vehicle started up and ran fine for 5 mins and then the relay blew again. and is now clicking just like before. WTF.

if anybody has any ideas on where I should start troubleshooting please let me know!!!
Old 11-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: Starter Relay keeps blowing!!! =[

there are very few ways that a relay can be blown that quickly.
the highest probability is too much current being drawn through it.
Check that the starter solenoid is in good shape. Make sure the wiring and grounds are in good shape. Personally I'd replace the starter even with as much of a PITA it is.

next possibility is the relay not engaging fully due to lower voltage to the coil. This causes the contacts to not connect fully, this causes too much heat, which blows the contacts. Check that you have good wiring to the relay (ground especially), at the key and if you have a volt meter make sure you're getting battery voltage at the coil when you go to start the vehicle.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Starter Relay keeps blowing!!! =[

thanks man i'll give that a try, but the starter that I have is like brand spankin new..im going to check if it was grounded properly...