Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

starter relay...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter relay...

ok, so here is the deal. i bought this del sol for a stack.. it had wiring issues, some bad switches, so im guessing im hitting this one right on the head by saying that because my motor will not start that i have a bad starter solenoid...i believe that it is under the dash on the driver side but its not on the fuseboard... i just rebuilt my b16a and dropped it in.. im not getting clicks, nothing... when i try to crank it, the solenoid isnt even clicking... can someone just tell me WHICH one the starter relay is, or maybe this is a main relay problem too... car is A 1993 HONDA DEL SOL SI w/ b16a swap... maybe both relays..? ive never had to deal with this problem, so some help would be greatly appreciated.. thanks.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:24 PM

Default Re: starter relay... (jdmdelsolsi)

check if your battary is ok.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:11 PM

starter solenoid is actually on the starter. the clicking your talking about is the relays which are in the fuse box under the hood. Check all your grounds!
Old 02-06-2007, 06:10 AM

Default Re: starter relay... (kay20adc2)

i know the battery is fine, its brand new... and i didnt mean stater solenoid, i meant starter relay.. two different things.. sorry
Old 02-06-2007, 11:45 AM

i switched over all the relays, main and starter.... i swapped the relays in the box by the battery.. made sure all fuses are in proper order and right amperage... still nothing.. i checked my other del sol, and i noticed when i left the positive battery terminal on and touched the negative i heard a "click" from the middle black relay in the box next to the battery... on the black one.. i get nothing... i took the cover off under the dash, i noticed where whoever had the car before me wired up stuff.. but im not sure what it was or where it goes too.. i bought the car as a shell and put my b16a in it.. i never expected to run into this kind of problem... somewhere the starter relay isnt getting power and neither is the middle black relay in that engine bay box... someone help? because as it stands im taking it to a automotive electrical place tomorrow, and have them look at it because i think it has a killswitch where it had an alarm on it at one time... and 60.00 an hour isnt good... ;[
Old 02-06-2007, 03:01 PM

what about a neutral safety switch?> it still wouldnt explain the relay not clicking to the batt power, but the inside of the car is getting power.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:55 PM

it had a remote start on it and the nuetral safety switch was jumped thats what the deal was!*thumbup* to myself.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmdelsolsi)

bump cause i have this problem, too.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pooorman's type-r)

EDIT: double post.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re:

This will tell you whether or not your problem is a switch/relay/leprechaun or not. Can you directly wire the starter and turn the engine over? Make sure the ground is attached to the chassis and the starter's hot lead from the battery is hooked up. Then it's just a matter of touching the battery's + lead to the starter switch and voila, you'll have a better idea of what's going on.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (Blk00EJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blk00EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This will tell you whether or not your problem is a switch/relay/leprechaun or not. Can you directly wire the starter and turn the engine over? Make sure the ground is attached to the chassis and the starter's hot lead from the battery is hooked up. Then it's just a matter of touching the battery's + lead to the starter switch and voila, you'll have a better idea of what's going on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes if i jump the ground wire on the starter to the battery it'll crank over perfectly and run. but if i try to start it by the ignition switch it doesnt crank at all. no sound or click besides the fuel pump engaging. where is the starter relay in a 93 civic hatch? i already switch the main relay and that is good. starter is good too. just replaced it. also, jump the clutch switch, also. nothing works beside jumping the ground wire on the starter. all the grounds are good and are there, also. WTF is going on. the car was working perfectly before i switch the starter out.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: (pooorman's type-r)

I know for 96-00 Civics there is no relay since the hot line with all the current runs up to the steering column and through the ignition switch to the starter. I imagine it would be similar even on a 93.

If you just replaced the starter when the problem started, do the obvious and check your connections again.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pooorman’s type-r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes if i jump the ground wire on the starter to the battery it'll crank over perfectly and run. but if i try to start it by the ignition switch it doesnt crank at all. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe it's your wording, but if it's correct then that means the polarity is backwards. You don't touch the starter's ground wire to the battery. The starter's hot line and the ground going to chassis are left alone... the lead from the battery's + terminal goes to the smaller terminal which is the switch.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (Blk00EJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blk00EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know for 96-00 Civics there is no relay since the hot line with all the current runs up to the steering column and through the ignition switch to the starter. I imagine it would be similar even on a 93.

If you just replaced the starter when the problem started, do the obvious and check your connections again.

Maybe it's your wording, but if it's correct then that means the polarity is backwards. You don't touch the starter's ground wire to the battery. The starter's hot line and the ground going to chassis are left alone... the lead from the battery's + terminal goes to the smaller terminal which is the switch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes it'll start cranking if i either jump the positive (+) terminal on the battery or if i jump the starter plugs that connects to the positive + battery terminal onto the starter switch (little plug where it connects onto the engine harness). however, i found the starter relay and switch it out... still no power to the signal wire. i use a multimeter to check that plug for the starter relay with the key turn on (cranking position) and it only tested 1.xx-2.xx (on both the black/white wires) and 0 on the blue and red or green wire (i forgot) while (i think it's suppose to be 12.xx+ on the black/white wires) so i think that's were my issue is, somewhere in my starter signal wire i'm losing battery power/signal. does it sound right?
Old 03-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (pooorman's type-r)

NVM. FIX IT IT was as i assume. the starter signal wire wasnt getting power/signal through to the relay. all i had to do was jump the black/white wire from the ignition column to the one of the black/white wire that goes into the starter relay plug (which is located on the left side dash wall)
Old 05-24-2013, 04:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: starter relay...

I'm having same problem going to try this