Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Starter problem.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter problem.

Here the deal. the starter is good. it works. but i'm not getting any power to the stater. it's a 99-00 Si motor, in a 94 del sol. What do yall suggest I do, get a wiring chart and figure out the problem or just install a push start? and if so on the push start how would I do it? If anyone has had this problem let me know so I can fix it quick. OH! and i have till Saturday to get it on the road.. long story.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Starter problem. (Soul of Osiris)

im having the same problem with my 93 dx, still has the stock d15 but one day it wouldn't start. tried replaceing the starter but nothing. so i just wired a momentary for now. took a ground, a hot from the battery, and the wire from the starter.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Starter problem. (EcivicG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EcivicG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im having the same problem with my 93 dx, still has the stock d15 but one day it wouldn't start. tried replaceing the starter but nothing. so i just wired a momentary for now. took a ground, a hot from the battery, and the wire from the starter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

can you go into detail on this! PLEASE! you see i have a 93 dx (hatch) so maybe this is something that is rare, but not unheard of.

since it went from the DD to the WW it doesn't happen as frequent, but recently it did.

with mine it'll start fine for a while and then suddenly it won't. battery, starter and alternator are all good. for me to restart it again i have to push start it, which is not fun when you are buy yourself.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Starter problem. (philosofy1)

with ur car, i had that problem happen with my del sol. go look under the dash at the top of the clutch pedal. there should be a little rubber stopper pugged in to the top of the pedal that pushes the little nipple for the Neutral Saftey Switch. if the rubber stopper is worn out or dry rotted like mine was it'll cause that problem. if it's good then ur neutral safety switch might be going bad. you can do one of two things. you can go to Honda and get the rubber piece and just pop it back in. OR you can jump the NSS and it'll work (if you do opt to do this, ALWAYS MAKE SURE UR CLUTCH PEDAL IS PUSHED IN AND THE CAR IS OUT OF GEAR) otherwise it will start in gear and that might not end well. let me know if it works
Old 03-26-2008, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

replace it.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Soul of Osiris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">with ur car, i had that problem happen with my del sol. go look under the dash at the top of the clutch pedal. there should be a little rubber stopper pugged in to the top of the pedal that pushes the little nipple for the Neutral Saftey Switch. if the rubber stopper is worn out or dry rotted like mine was it'll cause that problem. if it's good then ur neutral safety switch might be going bad. you can do one of two things. you can go to Honda and get the rubber piece and just pop it back in. OR you can jump the NSS and it'll work (if you do opt to do this, ALWAYS MAKE SURE UR CLUTCH PEDAL IS PUSHED IN AND THE CAR IS OUT OF GEAR) otherwise it will start in gear and that might not end well. let me know if it works </TD></TR></TABLE>

actually, it is a auto to amnual swap. everything is wired correctly for the swap.
so i never have to worry about the nuetral safety switch.

it's just weird, i mean i can start it up right now with no problem. i have noticed if i drive hard or i have been driving all day with it and i have been making alot of stops the problem will occur. i just can't figure it out.

i have brand new grounds, brand new battery cables, brand new battery, starter, alternator. all my fuses are good and relays (i've replaced them with new ones).

i've even replaced the ignition switch. i've even been able to read the 12V coming from the battery when it didn't want to start.

just thinking about it makes me mad!
Old 03-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Soul Of Osiris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> with ur car, i had that problem happen with my del sol. go look under the dash at the top of the clutch pedal. there should be a little rubber stopper pugged in to the top of the pedal that pushes the little nipple for the Neutral Saftey Switch. if the rubber stopper is worn out or dry rotted like mine was it'll cause that problem. if it's good then ur neutral safety switch might be going bad. you can do one of two things. you can go to Honda and get the rubber piece and just pop it back in. OR you can jump the NSS and it'll work (if you do opt to do this, ALWAYS MAKE SURE UR CLUTCH PEDAL IS PUSHED IN AND THE CAR IS OUT OF GEAR) otherwise it will start in gear and that might not end well. let me know if it works </TD></TR></TABLE>

what do you mean jump the nss?

how much is it to replace?

i thought it was something in the wiring, and i didn't want to have to go through it all because i plan on swapping the motor anyways
Old 03-26-2008, 01:17 PM

unplug it and put a jumper wire there. I'll get a picture of mine and post it later so you can see what i mean.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:31 PM

true it could be something in the wiring but to be sure jumping the switch would let you know, cause if you jump the switch and you're still having the same **** happen, then it is something in the wiring, but if it stops then it was the switch or the rubber stopper, in which case you can leave it like that and it won't hurt anything unless you start it in gear and hit something.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so if i jump the switch ill always need to start the car in nuetral with the clutch depressed?

but before i try this i should probably put back the old wire that connects to the starter in first, instead of the wire going to my momentary switch right??
Old 03-26-2008, 07:18 PM

yea. do that first hook everything up the way it was. then jump the switch. normally when you start the car you have to push the clutch pedal down if it's in gear, or neutral. when you jump it you won't have to push the pedal down, but if the car IS in gear when you go to start it the the pedal isn't down the car will want to take off.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:37 PM

yea. do that first hook everything up the way it was. then jump the switch. normally when you start the car you have to push the clutch pedal down if it's in gear, or neutral. when you jump it you won't have to push the pedal down, but if the car IS in gear when you go to start it the the pedal isn't down the car will want to take off.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i know that..same thing as my momentary.

but can you tell me how to jump the nss? or do you have any pictures of it?