Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Starter kill? ... need help

Old 05-26-2006, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter kill? ... need help

i got a 95 dx coupe about 2 weeks ago

i put a new oem air filter in bc the one it had was very nasty. i finished the install flawlessly in about 5 minutes, and closed the hood. i turn the key to crank the car, and i heard a click but no start. and then when i start to take the key out, the alarm starts to go off. and the alarm sounds kind of glitchy and the remote fob is not able to shut it off (it sounds like a broken toy gun, you know the ones with the laser sounds and all. it is not the proper alarm sound). to get the alarm to turn off, i must hit the panic button and then cancel the panic mode from the key fob. (when i hit the panic button, the alarm sounds normal and much much louder, like it is working properly)

anyways, i guess i tripped my alarm some how, and now there is some kind of starter kill relay or some crap. its a D15b7 with a 5 speed transmission. I can still bump start it, but that would be **** if i stalled out in traffic or anything, and then i try to crank it and the alarm starts to sound all retarded, and the only way to move would be getting out and bump starting it again. im not the guy to try my luck on that one, though i do have to make a 1 way trip to my beach house in 2 hours, and its another hour to get there.

yes i searched, and yes the battery has plenty of juice, the alarm can still scream and the radio and lights work and all that.

i would greatly appreciate any help with this.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Starter kill? ... need help (TayStew)

Have you checked your grounds to the starter? And what would the alarm do if you unplugged the battery to try and reset the alarm?
Old 05-26-2006, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when unplug the battery for like 10 minutes and then reconnect it, the alarm goes off. and now i think the battery in my key fob is dead so i cant really shut off the alarm anymore

and the grounds are fine, i didnt mess with any of that stuff, and they've been running well for the past 2 weeks, it is obviously a fouled alarm system, if not a discrepency in the electrical system (but the car still runs fine, with a bump start)

but im already sick of pushing it, how do i get my starter to work
Old 05-26-2006, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump, i need any info i can get on it now before i drive it an hour away to my beach house

are there any wires, toggle switches, relays that need to be reset in my 95 dx coupe. is there any way i can use my starter again?
Old 05-27-2006, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cmon, im already back from the beach house.. and honda-tech is seeming useless to me.

now when i hit the brakes inadvertantly the whole electric system seems to shut off for half a second and come back on. as if the brake lights are sucking all the juice out of the radio, headlights, gauge cluster... etc.

ive been in the honda thing for about 2 weeks now and am about sick of it. solaraguy.org puts you guys to shame...
Old 05-27-2006, 10:29 AM

Default Re: (TayStew)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TayStew &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ive been in the honda thing for about 2 weeks now and am about sick of it. solaraguy.org puts you guys to shame... </TD></TR></TABLE>

have you tried locating the brain of the alarm usually under the dash and seeing if there are any crossed wires sound like a shoddy install you can also take that to circuit city or some one and they might be able to help diagnose your problem

not all your problems can be solved by HT sometimes you need to do the leg work
Old 05-27-2006, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Starter kill? ... need help (TayStew)

first off. should post in the audio/security section.. i would just unplug your alarm... stick your head under where the pedals are. you might be able to unplug it right there. might have to remove the panel and the metal thing behind it (with a 10mm) and unplug the alarm that way. probably your alarm just went to crap. either that or the ground on your battery is bad .
Old 05-28-2006, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i found a loose wire hanging down by the fuse box area under the driver side dash. it is a black wire with a red stripe all the way down it. i traced it back to a black box that reads: "Rattler Model 310D"

this wire comes specifically out of that black box for something, but i cannot tell where it broke off of or where i am supposed to reconnect it. i'll search around for the answer, but if you know anything about that let me know. thank you
Old 05-28-2006, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

heres the owners guide to your alarm
http://www.directeddealers.com...3.pdf
just unplug the whole thing.. unclip the main connector that goes to the "black box" its a 12 pin connector. Get someone a bit more familar with alarms to look at it is what i recommend..
Old 05-28-2006, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's your antenna and it doesn't connect to anything!

Sounds like the problem is with your battery and not the alarm at all. Take out the battery and have it tested for free at Autozone.

And stop crying that HT can't help you. We're not your personal online tech service.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well from what i know about alarms is that no matter how fancy the alarm is they all need a power supply. just find the fuse for the alarm and unplug it. try that. i think that would be easier than taking everything out. if its not that then it could be something that doesn't have to do with your alarm.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sry to sound like im whining, but it was just such a pain in the *** and im totally lost with wires and connections and stuff. thanks for the help guys