Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Starter dying?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter dying?

Brother drove my car from our apartment to the mailboxes...said it took a few more cranks than usual to start. Then when he went to drive it back it turned over but not nearly as fast and wouldnt stop. He tried it a few more times but it got slower and slower. He let it sit there till I got off work, I went over and tried it and it started up. Turned it off and tried it again and it labored and started...tried one more time and it did it even slower, console lights dimmed and didnt start.
We push started it to get it back to our apartment...does this sound like the starter/solenoid going out to you guys? Starters are easy to replace arent they?
Old 07-24-2008, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Starter dying? (MMMm Waffles)

If the lights are dimming it doesn't sound like the starter, no.

If the lights are dimming it's a power issue, which leaves the alternator and the battery, but since you need constant spark, your car would eventually die out if the alternator died, so I'd say it's the battery, but batteries just don't go bad over night, they go bad over time.

So I'd say check your connections, make sure they're all good and tight, if you still have the problem get both the alternator and the battery tested at autozone/advance auto/pep boys. It doesn't sound like a starter, starters are electric, it's usually "work work work work - don't work" - or they get slower over time, not over night. Also, the lights dimming while you're cranking it over is a clear sign of not enough juice.

Take a volt meter and measure the power the battery is putting out at the battery both when the car is off, and when it's idling.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Starter dying? (MMMm Waffles)

I think the battery is low, possibly due to a bad alternator. Nonetheless, first just try cleaning the battery terminals and connectors. You may also want to charge the battery. Is the charge light ON on the dash when the engine is running?
Old 07-24-2008, 09:42 PM

hmm, I just replaced the battery on the car about a month and a half ago (it's been garaged for about 2 years). But when I said the lights were dimming, I didnt mean the headlights, just the console indicators...I had the headlights off to put less strain on it. So if it was my starter motor dying it'd just click instead of turning over eh?
How much voltage should I read on the battery? 12?
No charge light with car running
Old 07-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: (MMMm Waffles)

If the battery terminals and connectors are tight and not corroded, then you may want to take the car to AutoZone to have the alternator tested. I think this is done free of charge.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:00 PM

ya I think I will...but will it be ok to drive there if the alternator is dying?
car was driving fine yesterday but for the short drive from the mailbox to my apartment after the push start it seemed like it was hesitating a little (though not 100% sure if it was or not cause my seat was way back and also there's no real straightaways and my gas pedal is kinda touchy)
After we got it going I turned it around to pick up my brother and it didnt die when I came to a stop, but maybe that's just cause the battery is so fresh so it wasnt putting much of a strain on the alternator
Old 07-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i too have this problem, but i think its my alternator.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MMMm Waffles &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ya I think I will...but will it be ok to drive there if the alternator is dying?
car was driving fine yesterday but for the short drive from the mailbox to my apartment after the push start it seemed like it was hesitating a little (though not 100% sure if it was or not cause my seat was way back and also there's no real straightaways and my gas pedal is kinda touchy)
After we got it going I turned it around to pick up my brother and it didnt die when I came to a stop, but maybe that's just cause the battery is so fresh so it wasnt putting much of a strain on the alternator</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not trying to be egocentric or anything - but everything mentioned so far was discussed in my first post.

Read that, fix the problem.

EDIT:
PS: If the console indicator lights are dimming, that just means a lower amp bulb is dimming, instead of ur higher amp headlights - so that just means it's all the worse off.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:34 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm not trying to be egocentric or anything - but everything mentioned so far was discussed in my first post.

Read that, fix the problem.

EDIT:
PS: If the console indicator lights are dimming, that just means a lower amp bulb is dimming, instead of ur higher amp headlights - so that just means it's all the worse off.</TD></TR></TABLE>
erm ya i appreciate the help but you didnt answer two of my questions: will I be OK to drive to autozone (as it's several miles away) without the car dying when I come to a stop, and when I'm checking the voltage on the battery, what should it read? 12?

Other than the driving question I was just elaborating in the rest of the post you quoted
Old 07-25-2008, 07:19 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MMMm Waffles &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
erm ya i appreciate the help but you didnt answer two of my questions: will I be OK to drive to autozone (as it's several miles away) without the car dying when I come to a stop, and when I'm checking the voltage on the battery, what should it read? 12?

Other than the driving question I was just elaborating in the rest of the post you quoted</TD></TR></TABLE>
about to take the car to autozone, bump for answers to these two
Old 07-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MMMm Waffles &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
about to take the car to autozone, bump for answers to these two</TD></TR></TABLE>
with the car running you should see somewhere around 13.50 to 14.5 volts as rpms increase. anything under could be alt or battery anything over alt or ecm. You should be okay driving a distance as long as its only the battery if its the alt you might or might not make it . Word to the wise I have seen bad batteries take out working alt
Old 07-25-2008, 08:08 AM

ok i have other means of transportation available...can they still test the alternator if it's not in the car?
Old 07-25-2008, 08:35 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes absolutetly, and for free