Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

starter cranks, alternator and battery good... but motor will not start

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 12:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter cranks, alternator and battery good... but motor will not start

ok i really had a very bad day today, first of all i hit some piece of plastic on the freeway going to work, when i was going home i did not notice i had a flat tire and drove on it for about 30 minutes, then i went to a gas station, filled it with air and the tire blew up, scared the **** out of me,i was ok though cos it was the inside wall that gave in.

so later that night while rollin on steelies, i was going to my friends house to pick up a spare tire, when all of a sudden my motor just died, i pulled to the side and check the fuses(nothing blown) reset the ecu. but yet the car will not start, there is no check engine light. oh yeah it was actually rainning at that time, do you think water got in through my AEM CAI and got in the motor? or maybe my distributor just died. help me out here guys.

i had to wait 1 hour for a tow truck in the freezing rain. what a day.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: starter cranks, alternator and battery good... but motor will not start (zzZZzzleeperCX)

do your lights go on?
or do your lights go on but motor just wont crank?
Old 04-14-2003, 12:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: starter cranks, alternator and battery good... but motor will not start (zzZZzzleeperCX)

see if you can hear the fuel pump trys to send fuel when you click to ACC(# 2) if that works then swap a dist with a friend.... if that doesnt work... take out your spark plug and crank the motor... if your motor shoots out water it must of taking in water from the CAI
Old 04-14-2003, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well lets start with the basics

is there spark? pull a plug and wire, inspect for water, have someone start the car but hold the plug/wire next to the header. you should see a nice spark

is there fuel? i dont know the best way to test this but i pull the return line, let all the fuel come out, then have someone turn the key to II and see if fuel comes out. if you want you can just get a fuel pressure gauge. its better. (oh try not to get fuel everywhere, im not responsible if you blow yourself up)

compression? get a tester and check the compression. if you hydrlocked it this will tell you

those are the 3 basic things to see if an engine will work.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: starter cranks, alternator and battery good... but motor will not start (eg_nezay)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg_nezay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do your lights go on?
or lights go on just your motor just wont crank?</TD></TR></TABLE>

its not the battery, light goes on, radio turns on and everything, it actually cranks, it just wont turn, im thinking its the distributor, probably just died. what do you think. NO CEL at all. help me out
Old 04-14-2003, 12:47 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zzZZzzleeperCX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

its not the battery, light goes on, radio turns on and everything, it actually cranks, it just wont turn, im thinking its the distributor, probably just died. what do you think. NO CEL at all. help me out</TD></TR></TABLE>

is it getting fuel?
Old 04-14-2003, 12:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: starter cranks, alternator and battery good... but motor will not start (Kamin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well lets start with the basics

is there spark? pull a plug and wire, inspect for water, have someone start the car but hold the plug/wire next to the header. you should see a nice spark

is there fuel? i dont know the best way to test this but i pull the return line, let all the fuel come out, then have someone turn the key to II and see if fuel comes out. if you want you can just get a fuel pressure gauge. its better. (oh try not to get fuel everywhere, im not responsible if you blow yourself up)

compression? get a tester and check the compression. if you hydrlocked it this will tell you

those are the 3 basic things to see if an engine will work.</TD></TR></TABLE>

man this thing moves fast,

ok i have a b&m fuel pressure regulator and its a 45 psi right now
it funny because i just filled up my tank with gas and 10 minutes later it wont start, i even took my fuel cut off switch and just connect the wires together(eliminating my toggle switch)

now you guys got me thinking.... i know i put 91 octane gas but what if i did put it deisel by accident what happens then. i have full tank right now. No i did not get a reciept, nor really paid attention to the gas nozzle because i just found out i had a flat tire and got distracted
Old 04-14-2003, 12:57 AM

check your ecu fuse
Old 04-14-2003, 12:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: starter cranks, alternator and battery good... but motor will not start (romeo619romeo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by romeo619romeo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check your ecu fuse</TD></TR></TABLE>

i did, its not blown. any other suggestions
Old 04-14-2003, 01:15 AM

your car wont start with diesel.
diesel has a peculiar smell to it, so open your cap and see if its smells different.
or take some gas out of your gas tank with a hose.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: starter cranks, alternator and battery good... but motor will not start (eg_nezay)

ok, what if its the distributor, i have an obd1, where can i get a b16a obd1 distributor? how much will they run? can i use and obd1 gsr distributor?
what if a little bit of water did get in the motor, does this mean that my b16a is a gonner, if not how do i fix that. please peeps educate me.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

timing belt could do it too. might check that if all else fails. happened to my sister.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Before you go out and spend a butt load of money on a distributor, check your ignitor on the distributor. My wife's Accord did the same thing everything worked but no spark. I had a friend put the distributor off of his prelude on and everything worked again. Most people just buy a new distributor, but I'd just check the ignitor.

Mike
Old 04-14-2003, 05:27 PM

hey,
i have the same thing going on right now. car just died. I still dont knwo what it is, my fuel pump comes on and i do get spark. It was a little wet but i dont have a cold air, only ram. If you find out what it is, let me know
Old 04-14-2003, 05:35 PM

check for spark. Take out your spark plug wire, and stick a flat head screw driver in it.

Put it next to the radiator support (about 1-2 mm away) and have someone crank the motor.

It should spark.