Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

started up car with NO oil. now has loud ticking sound.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default started up car with NO oil. now has loud ticking sound.

my dumbass friend was swapping his built GSR head. p&p, cams, etc. he forgot to put in the oil and he started up his car. only for about 5-10 secs did he notice that there was no oil. now his car has this loud ticking noise and it won't go away. how bad is this? what could the problem be? he said he doesn't know if it's normal because of the cams or not.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:59 PM

Default Re: started up car with NO oil. now has loud ticking sound. (1.8)

did he put oil in it and start it afterwards??
Old 01-25-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Re: started up car with NO oil. now has loud ticking sound. (civictildeath)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civictildeath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did he put oil in it and start it afterwards??</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, he did put oil afterwards and started the car. now it has a loud ticking noise. what could the problem be?
Old 01-25-2005, 09:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: started up car with NO oil. now has loud ticking sound. (civictildeath)

He most likely spun a rod bearing. (major pain in the *** to fix) I feel sorry for your friend.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:07 PM

Default Re: started up car with NO oil. now has loud ticking sound. (SOHC4life 96)

i feel sorry for him too. he was in a rush to get it started that he forgot to put oil.

how can u check if it's the rod bearing?

can anything in the head get messed up? valves?
Old 01-25-2005, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: started up car with NO oil. now has loud ticking sound. (SOHC4life 96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC4life 96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He most likely spun a rod bearing. (major pain in the *** to fix) I feel sorry for your friend. </TD></TR></TABLE>
I would try adjusting valve clearances before pulling the engine, poorly adjusted valves are notorious for clicking. I am assuming that he used assembly lube, that should have protected the engine for the first few seconds
Old 01-25-2005, 09:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: started up car with NO oil. now has loud ticking sound. (saywhat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by saywhat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would try adjusting valve clearances before pulling the engine, poorly adjusted valves are notorious for clicking. I am assuming that he used assembly lube, that should have protected the engine for the first few seconds</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, try that first.

As for anything else breaking if you spin a rod bearing, no, not unless you keep driving it and it gets A LOT worse.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find where the ticking noise is coming from, use a screw driver. Put it up to your ear and listen. If its coming from the head it might not be that bad, the head just might not be lubricated enough. Ford's are notorious for this, if your ever low on oil the head will tick like crazy, sometimes a good coating of oil fixes it but sometimes it don't. Find out the problem before you start pulling the engine apart.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:23 AM

Default Re: started up car with NO oil. now has loud ticking sound. (saywhat)

we did a valve adjustment after that. still ticking. so basically the only thing it could be is the rod bearings? how hard is it to do this? cost? any help is appreciated.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1.8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">we did a valve adjustment after that. still ticking. so basically the only thing it could be is the rod bearings? how hard is it to do this? cost? any help is appreciated. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you listen with a screw driver, there still could be something ticking in the head.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: started up car with NO oil. now has loud ticking sound. (90blackcrx)

This is the wrost problem ever, i feel bad for your friend.....

Here is what i did when i heard ticking with my D16Z6:

Got the vlaves adjusted (common ticking sound resolver says most on HT)

but that didnt work...

Then i posted a vid and was told it was a spun bearing or thrown rod, or rod knockk.....well it was because 6 miles after i heard the ticking the motor blew

Sucks man....ALWAYS CHECK OIL....
I posted a video recently and this guy ran his civic on water instead of oil and it ran for a good long while with the tick so maybe its not too bad....look in my recent topics its there
Old 01-26-2005, 10:08 AM

Default Re: started up car with NO oil. now has loud ticking sound. (90blackcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you listen with a screw driver, there still could be something ticking in the head.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, i listened with a screwdriver. it's kinda hard to tell. kinda seems like it's coming from head, kinda doesn't. but i'm gonna check his oil pan later today.

do you guys think the head is still savagable? how do you check for bent valves?
Old 01-26-2005, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just throwing this out there; it's not just the injector tick is it?
Old 01-26-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Re: started up car with NO oil. now has loud ticking sound. (DJ_SaNdOz)

no, i'm positive the injectors aren't ticking.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:16 PM

bump for some help....

how do i check to see if valves are bent?
Old 01-27-2005, 08:34 PM

leakdown too see if valves r bent
Old 01-27-2005, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

**** the screw driver...
heres how you do it..
if you take the pressure off the rod its going to quit knocking... so.. how do you do that??
rev the engine just a lil.. and start pulling plug wires one by one.. this keeps the cylinder from firing thus reducing the force on that bearing..
now the knocking may not quit completely depending on how bad the damage is.. mine quit knocking all together after pulling the #1 plug wire.. and sure enough that was the one that was damaged..

good luck!
Old 01-27-2005, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: started up car with NO oil. now has loud ticking sound. (iceman7)

did he use assembly lube or oil when assembling the head? if not, the startup with no oil might of damaged head components.

Or maybe he just left a 10mm socket up in there... good luck

dan
Old 01-29-2005, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: started up car with NO oil. now has loud ticking sound. (iceman7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iceman7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">**** the screw driver...
heres how you do it..
if you take the pressure off the rod its going to quit knocking... so.. how do you do that??
rev the engine just a lil.. and start pulling plug wires one by one.. this keeps the cylinder from firing thus reducing the force on that bearing..
now the knocking may not quit completely depending on how bad the damage is.. mine quit knocking all together after pulling the #1 plug wire.. and sure enough that was the one that was damaged..

good luck!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah...thats genious. make sure you have tons of fuel dumping into the combustion chamber and have your injectors constantly spray fuel so that when you do put the wire back in, you have that much gas to ignite.

stop the fuel, not the spark.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: started up car with NO oil. now has loud ticking sound. (anothersickhatch)

we pulled the oil pan and there was no shavings. does that mean the bearings are still good?
Old 01-29-2005, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1.8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">we pulled the oil pan and there was no shavings. does that mean the bearings are still good? </TD></TR></TABLE>

No
Old 01-29-2005, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: started up car with NO oil. now has loud ticking sound. (anothersickhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by anothersickhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeah...thats genious. make sure you have tons of fuel dumping into the combustion chamber and have your injectors constantly spray fuel so that when you do put the wire back in, you have that much gas to ignite.

stop the fuel, not the spark. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I dunno if it is safe, but ive had a spark plug stop, cylinder 1 actually... it never blew nor collected, so I guess what he told him to do might work.. but this is just speculation.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm just curious is it really loud? thats what my car did and it was sooo loud screaming to my self in the car i could still hear it.