Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SRS Mishaps

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRS Mishaps

Okay, I'm starting this thread off by saying I swapped a manual rack into my H22 Civic EX about a month ago. The reason I swapped it is because my PS rack had messed up somehow and was skipping on the pinion really badly. This caused my steering wheel to turn while my wheels did not. In doing so, my SRS light came on most likely being the clock spring.

Now listen good here. I don't want my SRS back, since I'm getting an aftermarket wheel sometime soon. However, I do want my horn, and if possible, my cruise control. Now since there wont be a spot for cruise on my new steering wheel, I was going to fab up some switches and locate them on the e-brake console where the punchouts are. Here come the two important questions.

1. Will my passenger side airbag deploy if the SRS light is on?

2. Does anybody have a diagram on how to run a direct connection from the harness/fuse box to the horn/cruise control?

Take your time and try to give a valid response. I appreciate your time.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 10-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SRS Mishaps (O RLY)

Come on guys, I know you can do it.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SRS Mishaps (O RLY)

Bump again.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:08 PM

if your srs light is on, than none of your airbags will work.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (o5mar1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by o5mar1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if your srs light is on, than none of your airbags will work.</TD></TR></TABLE>

true but if you search HT you'll find that if you wire up a specific resistor, the SRS unit will think your driver's air bag is there and then you wont have a srs light on and the passenger bag will deploy in the even of a collision as usual
Old 10-18-2006, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">true but if you search HT you'll find that if you wire up a specific resistor, the SRS unit will think your driver's air bag is there and then you wont have a srs light on and the passenger bag will deploy in the even of a collision as usual</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. Right nwo your ECU thinks there's a fault in the SRS system therefore will not deploy the airbags (any of them). If you put the resistor in your driver's side that makes it think a driver's side air bag is in there and then reset the ECU (at which point hopefully the SRS light won't be on) the passengers airbag should deploy if you're in an accident.

As for the wiring diagram, I can honestly just say search. I don't have one, but I'm sure there's one out there, with all the aftermarket steering wheels and **** going on, there has to be quite a few wiring diagrams out there.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (o5mar1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by o5mar1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if your srs light is on, than none of your airbags will work.</TD></TR></TABLE>

WRONG!!!!

My SRS light had been blazin for a year on my 95 Coupe and when I hit a Cherokee head on (me 15MPH him about 5-10, my brakes locked) my airbags frickin deployed and knocked my glasses outta whack. I kinda wish they didn't deploy since my seatbelt performed it's job perfectly, yet painfully.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Techy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Techy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">WRONG!!!!

My SRS light had been blazin for a year on my 95 Coupe and when I hit a Cherokee head on (me 15MPH him about 5-10, my brakes locked) my airbags frickin deployed and knocked my glasses outta whack. I kinda wish they didn't deploy since my seatbelt performed it's job perfectly, yet painfully.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's not usually how it works.

Sounds like the accident was your fault.

Ha.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:29 PM

true. i work a vw dealership and the reason the airbags dont work is because if the a sensor fails and it sends the wrong signal to the airbag module it could deploy the airbags with out there beign an accident.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

insurance classified it as my fault but you ask the guy I hit, he'll tell ya it wasn't either our faults. bad weather, slick road, and a bad curve. I just got unlucky but the thing is my SRS light had been shining on my dash for a year and they still deployed. Of course it may have been the way that light was triggered. I was installing a CD player and the cap on the power wire fell off. It grounded and blew the Back Up fuse under the hood. The cd player wouldn't work and the SRS light was on. I replaced the fuse and recapped the wire. The radio worked but the SRS light was still on. I never had the money on hand to have it looked at cause other things needed fixing and paying first.

WHat pisses me off is, I get to working on my new CX monkeying with the cluster trying to A. get the retarded stickers the previous owner had put on it off B. replace a bulb I thought was out. I found out he had disconnected the yellow plug. I plug it in, now not only do I have check engine light for a FTP sensor hatchbacks don't have, i have an SRS light AGAIN. Damn it, I leaving the car with the mechanic some time in the next few weeks and he's fixing that damn SRS light and my horn. Man the last owner had ricer fever and was a tard to boot.