Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SRS Light, State Ref tunred me away..

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRS Light, State Ref tunred me away..

Hey,

Ok I just got a ticket last Friday, here's the post on that whole thing..

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=943936

I had scheduled an appointment with the state ref to get them fixed. I've already put my stock air box back on and I thought I was good to go.

When I got there the main guy wasnt there I think it was just a student (I went to the state ref at Evergreen College). He had me pull the car around then asked me some questions got my info etc.. When the main guy (the instructor I'm guessing) asked for the ticket and my reg. He also asked if I had enough oil in my car and if I had any check lights on. I told him I had the SRS light on and he told me, sorry we can't test you if that light is on, and gave me a piece of paper explaining it. He said that the # I called (800-622-7733) was suppose to tell me to have enough oil and no check lights, the only told me about the oil thing. What a waste of time. I don't understand what the air bag has to do with emissions and testing the exhaust noise.

Anyways off my tangent..

How the do you reset or fix this light? This light has been on since I purchased the car and the guy I bought it from said the Honda Dealership can fix it for like $100 but I don't wanna spend it if all they are going to do is let the capacitors drain by unhooking the battery.

Help Please!
Old 08-06-2004, 09:14 AM

Default Re: SRS Light, State Ref tunred me away.. (psycheus)

Maybe this is of some helpo:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=264288
Old 08-06-2004, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: SRS Light, State Ref tunred me away.. (Ripley)

Or just pull the bulb out. In my integra, I just disconnected the SRS harness connector from the back of the instrument cluster.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SRS Light, State Ref tunred me away.. (Ripley)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ripley &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe this is of some helpo:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=264288</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks man, that was a great help. I really need some pictures b/c I have no idea what they are talking about in that article. Anyone have pictures of this procedure being done?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Or just pull the bulb out. In my integra, I just disconnected the SRS harness connector from the back of the instrument cluster.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, but I can't pull the bulb or do that. I still have to take it to the state ref to get tested.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SRS Light, State Ref tunred me away.. (psycheus)

They aren't going to check if you pull the bulb...at least the place I went to didn't. And so what if they do, they aren't going arrest you. They'll just laugh send you back home.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My SRS light was on when I went to get my BAR sticker.

They said there was a problem once at some exam center where they put a car on the dyno, stopped hard with the brakes and the airbags blew out in the face of the exam center employee.

This represents an occupational safey hazard and for obvious reasons won't fly.

so that's the story about the srs light....either reset it or take the bulb out.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (atc5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by atc5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My SRS light was on when I went to get my BAR sticker.

They said there was a problem once at some exam center where they put a car on the dyno, stopped hard with the brakes and the airbags blew out in the face of the exam center employee.

This represents an occupational safey hazard and for obvious reasons won't fly.

so that's the story about the srs light....either reset it or take the bulb out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, well I'm going to try that paperclip fix thing and hope is stays off. I was also reading another post in the archives and it said something about a bad battery.. I've looked and mine is pretty corroded but I don't see how that can cause the SRS light to come on.

Another question I have is I do have a momo I want to put on that I've had sitting around for almost a year. What happens if I don't have an airbag and my light doesn't work? Are they going to give me any **** if I have to go through this same thing again?

BTW Here's a link from the Delsol forum about the same issue http://www.teamsolcal.com/ubb/...00002
Old 08-06-2004, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (psycheus)

Good question . I just put my MOMO on and was wondering the same thing. Will I get popped for not having a bag?
Old 08-06-2004, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am not 100% sure if they will nail you for the non-airbag MOMO wheel.

I would say that depends on each station....if the tech sees you have a non-airbag steering wheel and your SRS light is OFF, then he might be suspicious and say that you pulled the bulb.

Most of these guys know the "bulb pulling" trick...in fact, the REF at the station I went to said, "and don't pull the bulb, we'll check for that"

sooo...anyways. Try it and see if it works. Worst thing is you'll have to go back.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (atc5)

All they can do is send you home. "Dust yourself off and try again" (Aalyah)
Old 08-06-2004, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mEKsican)

An air bag IS NOT an emissions device!

Plugging into the ECU will not give them a SRS status check. They have to plug to the SRS computer, which they will not do for a smog ref check.

They will only check if the light is "on". So turn off the light!

Modified by Marauder at 2:34 PM 8/6/2004
Old 08-06-2004, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Marauder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">An air bad IS NOT an emissions device!

Plugging into the ECU will not give them a SRS status check. They have to plug to the SRS computer, which they will not do for a smog ref check.

They will only check if the light is "on". So turn off the light!</TD></TR></TABLE>

"Air Bad" is emmisions. J/K i know what you mean, i just couldn't help it.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mEKsican)

Yeah....don't worry, you want to be technical with me...I can return the favor in the future!
Old 08-06-2004, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Na it's cool bro. You win. I know nothing about electical ****. I just race it, and bring the guys with me that do know what they're doing in case something breaks. Thanks for being a good sport. MARAUDER =
Old 08-06-2004, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">An air bag IS NOT an emissions device!

They will only check if the light is "on". So turn off the light!

Modified by Marauder at 2:34 PM 8/6/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know it's not emissions, when I talked to the ref this morning he said they check to make sure that you don't just pull the bulb, ie start up check looking at the dash to make sure they all turn on. Hm.. this got me thinking... I wonder if anyone made a little switch/timer for that or other lights (say for instance you have a check engine light er something that wont go away), so you could have it turn on with the car (maybe off the stereo remote wire or something) then have a 6 second delay and it go off.. ?? Any ideas?
Old 08-06-2004, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (psycheus)

** UPDATE **

Thanks for the info and such on my SRS problem. I followed the procedure and it worked like a charm. I'll see if I can snap some pictures to show others how to do it. It took me 3 times, it really comes down to the timing.

Time to call the state ref again.