Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Srs Light and Horn not working PLEASE HELP THANKS

Old 10-20-2013, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Srs Light and Horn not working PLEASE HELP THANKS

Hi guys my 1999 Honda civic dx with no cruise control has had this problem for some time now and I have been wanting to fix this problem but i haven't had any luck. My srs light is turned on and my horn doesn't work. I think they might be related.

Here is what i have tried to diagnose what the problem with the srs light is

i tried doing the paper clip thing where you stick in the paper clip to the obdII connector but i didn't have all the cables that were shown in the video or in the pictures that another link showed. So i tried to stick the paper clip in a different holes ( big mistake) i ended up shorting the data link connector and ceiling light. I have now replaced the fuse that i burned and the ceiling light is working again. So i have since stopped messing with that. I initially started doing that because i thought that i may of had a bad seat belt sensor but i am pretty sure they work fine. The cable that i was missing was the cable that was supposed to be on pin 9. I am not sure if this has to do with why the cable is missing i don't think it does but i have a alarmed installed in my car and there is a bunch of crazy cabling. There is also a random cable that's been cut and is just hanging. I don't think this has to do with it because i saw another exact Honda at a junk yard and it also was missing the cable i was missing. Since my Honda is missing that cable does this mean i cannot do the paperclip thing?

BTW here is the link and video i was following

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/11...ding-them.html

OK now on to what i have done to try and fix the horn.
I have tried testing the actual horn and it works. its very loud
I have tried replacing the horn fuse under the hood and it works
I have tried replacing the relay. I bought i new one of eBay hoping that would solve the problem and it didn't. I installed it and nothing. Is it possible that i received a bad relay. i think i might have receive a broken relay because the video i was following says that the relay should click when i press the button on my steering wheel if its working. Neither the new relay or the old relay click when installed. Is the video wrong or do both of my relays don't work. The last thing in mind is that my "clock reel" may be broken. I dont know how to install it, but i do know they are expensive and my dad knows how to install them. I would also like to let you guys know that my retarded neighbors have hit my cars front and rear bumpers more than once. Do the bumper have any airbag sensors in them that could be causing the SRS light to come on or is it the clock reel that broken?

here is the video i was watching

CONCLUSION :'
- I would like to know why i might be missing cables from my obdII connector or if its normal

- I would like to know if i could still do the paper clip method using different cables because i dont want to pay over $150 an hour for the dealer to diagnose my issue

-I would like to know if my horn not working and srs light are related

-I would like to know what the symptoms to a bad clock reel are before i go out and buy one

- Would pictures of how my obdII looks help?

The most important ting for me to fix is the horn. Thank you for your guys time

MY CAR: 1999 Honda Civic DX Automatic NO Cruise Control
Old 10-20-2013, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Srs Light and Horn not working PLEASE HELP THANKS

try erasing the DTC memory found here
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showpo...98&postcount=5

buy US safety Standards ALL Airbag/SRS connectors must be Yellow and some time even the wire loom and tape used will be yellow as well.

also you will most likely need a New clock reel and make sure your air bag is plugged in at the steering wheel . also you may find your air bag has deployed and was replaced with a cheap dummy bag. in other words there is no air bag inside the steering wheel center. also be VERY careful messing with the SRS system if you short out the wrong thing you could deploy the bag in if your in the wrong spot and that happens you will get hurt VERY badly.

The only link between the horn and the SRS is the Clock reel.

the clock real connects all the features on the steering wheel to the wiring in the steering column and there by the car if on feature dosn't work (horn, cruise control or Airbag) most likely the clock real is ok but not to be ruled out however if Every thing is not working most likely it the reel.

to test your relay find the wire in the steering column for the horn. the link below also has info on wiring an alarm.
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...tail/1053.html

Horn Wire Gray (-) Steering Column or Green Connector behind Radio short this wire to ground with a jumper wire if horn works the reel is the failure.

the SRS sensor in your civic should be in the center of the car just below the heater box next to the gas peddle and is part of the SRS control box.

Last edited by Solster; 10-20-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Srs Light and Horn not working PLEASE HELP THANKS

Something similar happened to my 99 coupe. The cruise control and horn went out on the same day. I checked the horn and it worked fine, fuses were fine. I basically did exactly as you. After a few days of trying to figure this out, i found the problem. It was the clock spring inside the steering wheel. (I'm not 100% sure that is the name of it) It is a black circular thing that spins with an srs wire coming out of it. It all comes out really easily. You just need to remove the airbag and take off the steering wheel. It will be right there. I ended up uying a whole new steering column and swaping that one part out. After swapping that peice, cruise control and horn worked again. If you need me to be a little more specific, just tell me.