Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SRS light comes on when turning the wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRS light comes on when turning the wheel

I just bought me a 95 civic coupe ex about 2 months ago. Recentlywhen i turned the steering wheel to the left, the SRS light came on. It stopped after 2 days. After that, when i turned the wheel to the right, the light came on. Now, the light stays on constantly. What could be the problem? The car HAS been wrecked before, but the airbag didnt deploy, it was hit from behind. Could it be a short in the steering wheel? I dont want to reset my SRS light without figuring out what the problem is first. Thanks
Old 11-13-2002, 06:26 PM

Default Re: SRS light comes on when turning the wheel (AmginE)

I just bought me a 95 civic coupe ex about 2 months ago. Recentlywhen i turned the steering wheel to the left, the SRS light came on. It stopped after 2 days. After that, when i turned the wheel to the right, the light came on. Now, the light stays on constantly. What could be the problem? The car HAS been wrecked before, but the airbag didnt deploy, it was hit from behind. Could it be a short in the steering wheel? I dont want to reset my SRS light without figuring out what the problem is first. Thanks
No, what you DONT want is for the airbag to blow in your face.

is it throwing code? and a little while back someone had their moms car hit from behind, airbags didnt blow and he wanted to file a lawsuit to honda...a bunch of crap came up about the location of airbag sensors...tear off that plastic piece and see if you have any bad wires, check your fuses....and ill search for a diagram of the SRS wires in just a sec, ill post what i find.
Old 11-13-2002, 06:31 PM

Default Re: SRS light comes on when turning the wheel (Paranoid Android)

that happens every time? After reading all the previous SRS posts, people have posted of resetting the light without it deploying. Id rather not take my chances
Old 11-13-2002, 06:35 PM

that happens every time? After reading all the previous SRS posts, people have posted of resetting the light without it deploying. Id rather not take my chances
actually that part was a joke, btw im still searching.
Old 11-13-2002, 06:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you should replace your cable reel. It is a little contraption that has circuity in it to allow the steering wheel to be turned and the electical stuff to work.

A replacement will cost about 40-60 bux. You can install it yourself. Just make sure to unplug your batter while you are doing it so you SRS light wont stay on after you unplug and replug the airbag from the reel.
Old 11-13-2002, 06:43 PM

Default Re: SRS light comes on when turning the wheel (tonyxcom)

actually that part was a joke, btw im still searching

lol. ok, scared me.

Sounds like you should replace your cable reel. It is a little contraption that has circuity in it to allow the steering wheel to be turned and the electical stuff to work.

A replacement will cost about 40-60 bux. You can install it yourself. Just make sure to unplug your batter while you are doing it so you SRS light wont stay on after you unplug and replug the airbag from the reel.
ill look into it, thanks.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:41 PM

Default Re: SRS light comes on when turning the wheel (tonyxcom)

I have to look into that. I know my SRS light is on because of my steering change. When I did the swap I put in a new rack and had the splines matched up pretty far off. So when testing lock to lock I was about 2 turns off one way. The result was a binding noise behind the steering wheels. Turns out I must have ripped a wire because of turning the wheel to far. Damn, it sucks.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:55 PM

Default Re: SRS light comes on when turning the wheel (g_man80)

I unplugged the srs plugs in my wheel the other day while I was working on the steering column. When I plugged them back in, the srs light has been on since. I disconnected the battery, hoping it would reset, but no luck. How do I get the light to go out?
Old 11-13-2002, 08:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: SRS light comes on when turning the wheel (743)

you need to reset the SRS ecu. i think the dealer has to do it, but search the archives there might be a way to do it yourself.