Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SRS Light *Already Tried Resetting it Several Times* What Can it be???

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRS Light *Already Tried Resetting it Several Times* What Can it be???

I've now tried resetting the srs light several times, gotten it to blink, started the car after waiting, ntohing, remains on. I even disconnected the airbag on my other civic to get the light to go on, plugged everything back in, and tried resetting it to make sure I was doing it right. Worked perfect. The car I cannot get it to go off on is a 00 Civic Ex coupe. Everything is hooked up and the works, originally the plug on the driver seat to tell if the seat belt is plugged in or not was not plugged in, but that was fixed. Do the rear seats have anything to do with it? The rear driver seat belt doesn't retract right now but I wouldn't think that'd affect anything. Anyways, all idea's are welcome, besides the ones flaming to "fix the rear seat you idiot" unless they know that is it. Thanks
Old 11-11-2004, 12:00 AM

Default Re: SRS Light *Already Tried Resetting it Several Times* What Can it be??? (SiBuddy00)

was the car in an accident before? i think the srs brain needs to be replaced if the car was in an accident.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SRS Light *Already Tried Resetting it Several Times* What Can it be??? (kun3racer)

Never been in an accident, bags never deployed. Been stolen like, 3 times though.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SRS Light *Already Tried Resetting it Several Times* What Can it be??? (SiBuddy00)

sounds like you might just need to polish up those srs reset skills or you really are missing a connection somewhere.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SRS Light *Already Tried Resetting it Several Times* What Can it be??? (monicle)

i hit it first time in my car. i got it to reset 7 times in the other car, so I don't think i need to polish anything up. Any others? I'm going to have to go over the connections, thats my next step
Old 11-11-2004, 12:25 PM

was it on when you bought the car? or did it just recently go on?
Old 11-11-2004, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SRS Light *Already Tried Resetting it Several Times* What Can it be??? (kun3racer)

my dad claims it wasn't on when we got it, but I claim that it was.... I thought it went on for the seat belt sensor on the driver side not being hooked up, but thats all hooked up now and it still doesn't work. I checked and the harness is all hooked up to everything. I don't know what it could be, I tried a diff srs computer that I knew was good, nothing.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

let me guess, you had the radio on when you took your seat out.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ptran13)

the car was stolen and I rebuilt it. I drove the car before i had that plug for the driver seat.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SiBuddy00)

ttt help please!
Old 11-28-2004, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

problem still there! driving me insane! what to try?! I've reset it, tried a good srs brain box, both bags are hooked up along with the rest of the harness. What should I try Next? Anyone?
Old 11-28-2004, 05:47 PM

Does your horn work? If NOT than your clock spring has broken and will need to be replaced. If it does it is something to do with the SRS system.

Zach
Old 11-28-2004, 06:47 PM

Default Re: (scratchback)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by scratchback &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does your horn work? If NOT than your clock spring has broken and will need to be replaced. If it does it is something to do with the SRS system.

Zach</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 11-28-2004, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EGinNY)

my vote is to put a piece of tape over the light... but my car doesnt have airbags anyway...
Old 11-28-2004, 08:05 PM

Default Re: (scratchback)

not sure what a clock spring is, but my advice is similar to zach's: make sure your srs cable reel behind the steering wheel isn't broken, if it is then you're gonna have the SRS light on
Old 11-28-2004, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ejallmotor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ejallmotor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not sure what a clock spring is, but my advice is similar to zach's: make sure your srs cable reel behind the steering wheel isn't broken, if it is then you're gonna have the SRS light on</TD></TR></TABLE>
will the horns be a ffor sure way to test this?
Old 11-29-2004, 02:46 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiBuddy00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
will the horns be a ffor sure way to test this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well the clock spring is your cable reel......
If the cable is broke or not properly reinstalled it will cut all
power to your steering wheel.
You will lose.... Drivers side airbag/Horn/& Cruise control controls

Same thing happened to my car after i changed the power steering rack.
My SRS light came on, Horn stopped working, and cruise control couldnt be set

I jus pulled the bulb..

If it is the clock spring they are fairly expensive
Old 11-29-2004, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGinNY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well the clock spring is your cable reel......
If the cable is broke or not properly reinstalled it will cut all
power to your steering wheel.
You will lose.... Drivers side airbag/Horn/& Cruise control controls

Same thing happened to my car after i changed the power steering rack.
My SRS light came on, Horn stopped working, and cruise control couldnt be set

I jus pulled the bulb..

If it is the clock spring they are fairly expensive
</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'll test that today and give results, that'd be beautiful if thats it, i have an extra reel on hand
Old 11-29-2004, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have had this notoriously annoying problem too....I still want to fix my SRS light too, my horn works but the SRS light is still on. I have my seatbelt unplugged, but I don't understand how that effects the system.

could the clock spring/cable reel just randomly break?
Old 11-29-2004, 08:42 PM

Default Re: (R33CIVIC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R33CIVIC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have had this notoriously annoying problem too....I still want to fix my SRS light too, my horn works but the SRS light is still on. 1. I have my seatbelt unplugged, but I don't understand how that effects the system.

2. could the clock spring/cable reel just randomly break?</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. The seatbelt plug has to be in, Its basically like unplugging a sensor from the motor and wondering why the CEL came on

2. I dont see it just breaking, but if your steering wheel was ever removed for one reason or another when its put back on it could be off. Its kinda confusing to explain but the cable reel turns with your steering wheel. It has a middle point then turns 1 1/2 turns left and 1 1/2 turns right. if it wasnt put on in the middle it will break or if your lucky it will just be off and you can take it out and try again.
If that was to happen though your horn and cruise probably wouldnt work.

Old 11-30-2004, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGinNY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. The seatbelt plug has to be in, Its basically like unplugging a sensor from the motor and wondering why the CEL came on

2. I dont see it just breaking, but if your steering wheel was ever removed for one reason or another when its put back on it could be off. Its kinda confusing to explain but the cable reel turns with your steering wheel. It has a middle point then turns 1 1/2 turns left and 1 1/2 turns right. if it wasnt put on in the middle it will break or if your lucky it will just be off and you can take it out and try again.
If that was to happen though your horn and cruise probably wouldnt work.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My SRS light was off and I still had my seatbelt unplugged....then just randomly one day my SRS light came on and it has stayed on...but I will try plugging the seatbelt plugs in and then resetting the unit to see if that fixes the problem...how would the seatbelt being unplugged cause the light to come on though? because if the light is on I don't think the airbag will deploy in the event of an accident. Just doesn't seem how the seatbelt plug could affect wether the airbag will deploy or not.

My horn works so it can't be the clockspring/cable reel. I can't test my cruise control because I took that out(that **** just causes accidents, no one really needs cruise control...because they end up falling asleep behind the wheel).
Old 11-30-2004, 07:56 PM

well im not 100% on how the srs **** works, but im pretty sure you can pull a code from that light. I have had the seatbelt plug unplugged on every car ive had with no problems, butive been told by techs at work (Acura dealer) that it HAS to be in.

My coupe i got now the light came on. my horn worked for a short time after the light coming on then one day stopped. I checked my CC and that didnt work either.Im assuming my problem is the cable reel,but Like i said earlier i jus pulled the srs bulb from the cluster.

Dont know if any of this applies to you also but those are my experiences with srs
Old 11-30-2004, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGinNY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well im not 100% on how the srs **** works, but im pretty sure you can pull a code from that light. I have had the seatbelt plug unplugged on every car ive had with no problems, butive been told by techs at work (Acura dealer) that it HAS to be in.

My coupe i got now the light came on. my horn worked for a short time after the light coming on then one day stopped. I checked my CC and that didnt work either.Im assuming my problem is the cable reel,but Like i said earlier i jus pulled the srs bulb from the cluster.

Dont know if any of this applies to you also but those are my experiences with srs </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, like I said I will check it again once my car is back up and running...my SRS light has been on for like 6 months or so, but I only have put like 200 miles on it since then, so it doesn't really bother me that much. for the heads up on the seatbelt plug info, once I check it and if it fixes my problem then I will post that up for sure.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:42 PM

Sorry to bring back an old topic, but something similair happened to my car.

The light was not on when i got the car (98 civic ex). I never unplugged the seat or took off the steering wheel, never messed with anything.

One day as i was pulling out of a parking spot it just goes off. The horn still worked at that point so i decided to try to reset it. I reset the light and now my horn and cruise dont work. Any ideas?
Old 05-01-2005, 08:41 AM

Default Re: (Confucius37)

Bump

I read on teh accord forums that a bad battery caused someone else's SRS light to go off and made teh car do some crazy stuff, any thoughts on that?

any help would be appreciatted.

Quick Reply: SRS Light *Already Tried Resetting it Several Times* What Can it be???