Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SRS/Airbag Removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRS/Airbag Removal

I got a Password:JDM Airbag Tray today in the mail, thing and i want to put it in

How do i remove the passanger side airbag successfully?? and when i remove it will the SRS light be on?

If i get progessive help ill post pics for those who want to do the same thing

thanks for the help
Old 10-11-2005, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SRS/Airbag Removal (waterboy)

If I recall correctly (it's been a while since I took it apart), the passenger airbag is screwed/bolted in from the bottom. I believe you need to get at it from under the dash to get it out. Not really sure about the airbag light.... I'd guess it probably would come on.

If you're gonna pull your driver's airbag, too, you might as well pull the module and all.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:35 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Default Re: SRS/Airbag Removal (qat727)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by qat727 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If I recall correctly (it's been a while since I took it apart), the passenger airbag is screwed/bolted in from the bottom. I believe you need to get at it from under the dash to get it out. Not really sure about the airbag light.... I'd guess it probably would come on.

If you're gonna pull your driver's airbag, too, you might as well pull the module and all. </TD></TR></TABLE>The light will come on, simple remedy is to unplug the yellow plug from the back of the guages or remove the bulb. To remove the passanger airbag you'll first have to remove the glovebox to have some working room. Then 6 nuts and your golden, 4 up top and 2 on the bottom. Make sure to plug the red safety connector into the harness on the airbag and remove the neg battery terminal a minute or so before starting. Better to be safe than sorry, airbags can kill.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:20 PM

Default Re: SRS/Airbag Removal (HondaFanatic708)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Make sure to plug the red safety connector into the harness on the airbag and remove the neg battery terminal a minute or so before starting. Better to be safe than sorry, airbags can kill.</TD></TR></TABLE>

will this cause the airbags to deploy?? cuz im not wanting to take out my drivers yet, not until i get the new steering wheel
Old 10-11-2005, 08:48 PM

its bolted from the bottom you have to remove the glove box and then un plug the sensor min wasnt on after i did all of this
Old 10-11-2005, 09:34 PM

Default Re: SRS/Airbag Removal (jdm_tim)

definatly take it the neg termanal off longer than a min....it takes 10 min for the capacitors run out. i would do it for 30 min. and your light will be on.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by waterboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">will this cause the airbags to deploy?? cuz im not wanting to take out my drivers yet, not until i get the new steering wheel</TD></TR></TABLE>

It the drivers side won't blow The safety plug is there to make sure static electricity doesn't accidentally set off the bag after you remove it.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:17 AM

Just making sure i got the steps correctly:

1) unplug neg termal
2) take out glove box
3) unscrew the 4 bolts holding it up
3) unplug sensor
4) wait 30minutes for safety

im only comfirming this so much cuz im not tryin to get an airbag deploy in my face
Old 10-12-2005, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SRS/Airbag Removal (jdm_tim)

[IMG]Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 »
Make sure to plug the red safety connector into the harness on the airbag and remove the neg battery terminal a minute or so before starting. Better to be safe than sorry, airbags can kill.

i was gonna tell u the same i just installed new air bags on my car and to reach the passenger one u have to take off the glove compartment and there is going to be 4 screws on the top and 2 on the bottom... for the first 3 screw on the top u need a long extension and there is one on the left side that is a pain on the ***..... i had to deal with that one with a bendable wrech....
Old 10-12-2005, 06:49 AM

why are you removing your airbags? i hope this is a 'track car' & not a daily driver.. but somehow i'm thinking its a daily driver because if it was being built for the track.. you wouldn't need help removing your airbag. why in the world would you remove your airbag, are you insane? not only will you get hurt very badly(if not killed) in an accident, but you are aware that if you get into a wreck & get hurt very badly, your insurance will NOT cover you & not only that, but depending on whose health insurance you fall under, you might not even receive health care coverage! please think about this before you do it & weigh the pros and cons, having a knockoff momo steering wheel & a little crooked tray to put your sunglasses most definitly do not mean more to me than life itself.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:52 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (C2daIzZle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by C2daIzZle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">having a knockoff momo steering wheel & a little crooked tray to put your sunglasses most definitly do not mean more to me than life itself.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Uhh, yeah it does.

Old 10-12-2005, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by C2daIzZle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why are you removing your airbags? i hope this is a 'track car' & not a daily driver.. but somehow i'm thinking its a daily driver because if it was being built for the track.. you wouldn't need help removing your airbag. why in the world would you remove your airbag, are you insane? not only will you get hurt very badly(if not killed) in an accident, but you are aware that if you get into a wreck & get hurt very badly, your insurance will NOT cover you & not only that, but depending on whose health insurance you fall under, you might not even receive health care coverage! please think about this before you do it & weigh the pros and cons, having a knockoff momo steering wheel & a little crooked tray to put your sunglasses most definitly do not mean more to me than life itself.</TD></TR></TABLE>

expletive airbags... i run my stock steering wheel without the airbag... do you know how it feels when they go off???? i do when i rear ended a truck at a green light... my arms got burnt and it ripped a little bit of skin off on my left arm and my face got burnt a little bit from how fast they come out.. it doesnt feel good.. id rather not have them
Old 10-12-2005, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (siregcivic)

yep air bags kill.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The top screws were alittle annoying cause i did this with limited tools on my lunch break..hahah.. but in the end i feel safer...
Old 10-12-2005, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siregcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">expletive airbags... i run my stock steering wheel without the airbag... do you know how it feels when they go off???? i do when i rear ended a truck at a green light... my arms got burnt and it ripped a little bit of skin off on my left arm and my face got burnt a little bit from how fast they come out.. it doesnt feel good.. id rather not have them </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea still a hell of alot better than smashing your face/chest into your steering wheel.

Old 10-12-2005, 08:29 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: SRS/Airbag Removal (1slowex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1slowex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">definatly take it the neg termanal off longer than a min....it takes 10 min for the capacitors run out. i would do it for 30 min. and your light will be on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I cannot stress this enough.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kamin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yea still a hell of alot better than smashing your face/chest into your steering wheel.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you have your damn seatbelt on you shouldnt hit the steering wheel... i have been in an accident in a car without airbags and had no injurys besides my shoulder hurt from the seatbelt.. seatbelts save lives.. airbags can snap necks
Old 10-12-2005, 10:25 AM

Default Re: SRS/Airbag Removal (Vintech)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vintech &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It the drivers side won't blow The safety plug is there to make sure static electricity doesn't accidentally set off the bag after you remove it.</TD></TR></TABLE> Make sure to plug the red safety plug in. Remove the neg terminal and then wait. Before you start removing the nuts on the airbag unplug it and install the safety plug. Otherwise your golden on the process.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:43 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by C2daIzZle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why are you removing your airbags? i hope this is a 'track car' & not a daily driver.. but somehow i'm thinking its a daily driver because if it was being built for the track.. you wouldn't need help removing your airbag. why in the world would you remove your airbag, are you insane? not only will you get hurt very badly(if not killed) in an accident, but you are aware that if you get into a wreck & get hurt very badly, your insurance will NOT cover you & not only that, but depending on whose health insurance you fall under, you might not even receive health care coverage! please think about this before you do it & weigh the pros and cons, having a knockoff momo steering wheel & a little crooked tray to put your sunglasses most definitly do not mean more to me than life itself.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats where the 5point harness comes in

--

how about i just take out the battery while doing this... ill take the battery out for 30min then ill start removing, i wont have to worry about it exploding on me while im doin it then will i?
Old 10-12-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: (waterboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by waterboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
how about i just take out the battery while doing this... ill take the battery out for 30min then ill start removing, i wont have to worry about it exploding on me while im doin it then will i?</TD></TR></TABLE>No worries, just make sure you have that red plug on the airbag before you start removing it. Just don't bang the ****** with a hammer or anything.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Re: (HondaFanatic708)

pics !!
Old 10-12-2005, 12:14 PM

ok i got the battery out, just makin sure i got this right..

i could only find 3 screws... heres the picture i have right now:

please confirm that is the plug thing u were talking about, i cant really tell if its red outnot until i get it out.. but

when do i know its safe to unplug it?? after 30min?

*PS there is also a button thing on the right side of the airbag.. i didnt push it cuz i dont want to find out what is it

Modified by waterboy at 4:26 PM 10/12/2005
Old 10-12-2005, 12:23 PM

Sorry my bad, in the EK chassis there is no red safety plug, the connector is automatically shorted when unplugged and those 3 nuts are the only ones. Just unplug, remove 3 nuts you noted and airbag will slide its way out. We were all talking about the EG chassis with the 6 mounting points and the safety plug.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:26 PM

lol ok.. well expect a DIY in about 30min

Modified by waterboy at 5:15 PM 10/12/2005
Old 10-12-2005, 12:30 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by waterboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol ok.. well expect a DIY in about 30min
</TD></TR></TABLE>Yeah should have asked that first before going in to detail. I'll hold you too that as well. Currently about 4:30 PM your time so by 5 it better be up, or else... J/P

Quick Reply: SRS/Airbag Removal