Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Sqweek Noise? Pulleys or Belt? Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sqweek Noise? Pulleys or Belt? Fix?

This all of a sudden started, and has gotten a bit worse, I get a sqweeking noise from my engine whenever im going and let of the gas without the cluth in, ie like if im in reverse and just let off the gas, or in 4th going 40mpg and just idle w/o the gas down i get a sqweeking noise from the front left engnine bay.....I took it in and they said my belts were fine, and adjusted fine, and it was most likely pulleys that need to be adjusted but nothing really is needed....I really hate this sound, anyone have any ideas on this or how I could solve it, or even if the shitty shop even knew what they were tlaking about..Thanks all, hope everyone is having a good monday
Old 08-01-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Sqweek Noise? Pulleys or Belt? Fix? (00civicsimobstyle)

bziump
Old 08-02-2005, 07:49 AM

bump
Old 08-02-2005, 03:58 PM

no help on this guys?
Old 08-02-2005, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it a whine or a squeek?
Old 08-02-2005, 04:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Sqweek Noise? Pulleys or Belt? Fix? (JDM-97CX)

Could be your belt too loose? or too tight? I can't remember. Or slight chance bad waterpump.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Sqweek Noise? Pulleys or Belt? Fix? (Civic4less)

its a sqweek....I went in and he adjusted my belts and they were fine...
Old 08-03-2005, 12:02 PM

Timing belts can make noises...bad tensioner or belt
Old 08-03-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Sqweek Noise? Pulleys or Belt? Fix? (alotawatts)

he said the belts looked great....
Old 08-03-2005, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got the same problem. But I changed my belts, tensioners and water punp. I would like to know whats wrong also.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00civicsimobstyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This all of a sudden started, and has gotten a bit worse, I get a sqweeking noise from my engine whenever im going and let of the gas without the cluth in, ie like if im in reverse and just let off the gas, or in 4th going 40mpg and just idle w/o the gas down i get a sqweeking noise from the front left engnine bay.....I took it in and they said my belts were fine, and adjusted fine, and it was most likely pulleys that need to be adjusted but nothing really is needed....I really hate this sound, anyone have any ideas on this or how I could solve it, or even if the shitty shop even knew what they were tlaking about..Thanks all, hope everyone is having a good monday </TD></TR></TABLE>

I had this exact same problem. Between the AC pulley and the crank pulley is an accessory pulley (forget the name of it). You should be able to slightly see it, looking down into the engine bay. Spray some WD40 on it, and if it goes quiet, then you need a new one, which is about $40-50.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Sqweek Noise? Pulleys or Belt? Fix? (FuNkDrSpOt)

so look at the third pulley?, is it farther down and not connected to the main two pulleys that you can see in the engine? You just spray the wd40 where the belt touches the pulley? Also, was your sound only goin when you let off the gas when goin, or was it consistant, bc mine is not conistant just sqweeks when letting off gas and still moving...Thanks for your help!
Old 08-04-2005, 01:45 PM

hmm no luck on the wd40...I tried putting it all over and under the 3 pulleys...The sqweek didnt go away at all....I tried doin it one at a time and driving around testing after each pulley....I feel like, but not sure that the wd40 made the sqweek a little less on the pulley that is closest to the driver in the engine bay, but doesnt ever go away totally.....any help on what it might be? Thanks
Old 08-04-2005, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00civicsimobstyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so look at the third pulley?, is it farther down and not connected to the main two pulleys that you can see in the engine? You just spray the wd40 where the belt touches the pulley? Also, was your sound only goin when you let off the gas when goin, or was it consistant, bc mine is not conistant just sqweeks when letting off gas and still moving...Thanks for your help!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dont spray WD 40 on the belt, spray on the bolt in the center of the pulley. Its kinda hard to get to it but i did it with my car on and i could instantly tell a difference. I got that accessory pulley changed out when i did my 90k service and I didnt hear a sweak since. Sorry about not giving you correct info about where it was. I havent popped the hood on my car to deal with that squeaking in about 8 months.

The pulley in question the next down, and to the right of your power steering pulley. Spray that SUCKA!
Old 08-08-2005, 08:59 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00civicsimobstyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">he said the belts looked great....</TD></TR></TABLE>
You did not say the T-belt cover is off and he checked it !
Old 08-08-2005, 10:46 AM

what do you mean? TBelt?

Also, im trying to get into the middle of hte pulley that is to the right most and driver side...it is very close to the wall, has about half inch of space between it, been trying to curve the wd40 straw but its not working too welll...Thanks
Old 08-09-2005, 11:03 AM

T-belt ..I meant timing belt.
Put the WD-40 away. You don't want slippery belts or pulleys. If store bought belt dressing spray on all of the belts does not effect the noise at all than you have a bad timing belt, belt tensioner or power steering pump ?
Old 08-09-2005, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alotawatts &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">T-belt ..I meant timing belt.
Put the WD-40 away. You don't want slippery belts or pulleys. If store bought belt dressing spray on all of the belts does not effect the noise at all than you have a bad timing belt, belt tensioner or power steering pump ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya, when i was talking about spraying, i was talking about the bolt that was fastening the pulleys, not the belts. I used PB catalyst since it is pressurized and allowed me to shoot those hard to reach areas.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

take your own chance what to do.

I had the same problem. Mine were the belts...not timing. I used WD40 on the belts. I first sprayed WD40 on a rag. I wiped the belts that came in contact with the pulleys. I did not use much, just very little to see it that would do it. Instantly I could tell it did the job. As a result, I wiped more on, but again not too much. Problem was solved. On occassion I perform the same proceedure. Evidently the belts gets dried out as they get old I guess. Funny a few months after I found a wipe being sold at Autozone to put moisture on the belts to eliminate noise. Good Luck...just my opinion.