Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

squeking noise[on&off] when parking 93 civic si h/b...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 squeking noise[on&off] when parking 93 civic si h/b...

Hi everyone, appreciate you taking the time to read this.

Car: Stock 93 civic si h/b with powersteering (jst had power steering fluid flushed and replaced...defineatly not low)

So everytime I'm parking the car, or leaving a parking stall, steering wheel goes "squeak, squeak, squeak."

so i narrowed down the noise to right infront of me in driver's seat (looking at steering wheel and there's the noise).

got a friend to turn wheel while i was oustide w/ hood poped and the noise is defineatly not outside the cabin (ex. in engine bay near rack).

i tried pulling off the plastic panneling to lube up joints, but a got dam metal plate was in the way with no screws....(mind boggling...there has to be screws hiding some where).(funny cuz i have the factory service manual too lol)

I jst replaced the distributor assembly, plugs and plug wires. (lower back kills, bit too tall for this car)

The car runs grt now, but the squeak in my steering wheel i have been putting of for a long time.

Any suggestions as to the cause of this squeaking noise and recommendations in correcting this jerk of a squeak.

thanks, and appreciate the help
Old 04-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: squeking noise[on&off] when parking 93 civic si h/b...

Are you saying there's a metal plate under the steering joint cover? Can you post a photo?

Old 04-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No, there is a metal plate b4 the "Steering Joint Cover", it is a "knee boltster", its just before the steering joint cover(above pic). Meanig; the knee bolster is in the way of accesing steering joint cover.

see that pic above, its the page b4 that pic in the service manual (pg 17-51, or 603) that i see...(would love to post a pic from manual. but dam foxitreader wont let me copy and paste.

anyways that metal plate is restricting the hell out of me, with regard to inspection.

still eagerly awaiting suggestions as to the cause of this squeaking noise and recommendations in correcting this jerk of a squeak.

thanks
Old 04-08-2009, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

I think you are on the right track removing the steering joint cover and inspecting the joint. Remove four screws and you should be good to go:

Old 04-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yah ill try taking off that dam pesky knee bolster again, hope i find those screws...(there hiding i swear....camoflaged like a black cat at night)

whats funny is...it looks like the screws are attached behind the knee bolster, last time i tried all i saw was pure metal sheet with a 1inch diameter circle cut out.

forgot to ask...dum question: is there a specific type of steering rack grease to use, or multipurpose automotive specific grease should do