Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

squeeking water pump...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeeking water pump...

so just recently iv been hearing a squeeking sound rite by my water pump or atleast by that area (most positive water pump tho)...does this mean its going bad...its an lsv motor by the way but it hasnt been overheating at all its just been squeeking when at idle...any inputs
Old 09-08-2009, 07:57 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: squeeking water pump...

You're sure it isn't the alternator belt?
Old 09-08-2009, 08:01 PM

i dnt think so...i could double chek tom...but if its da waterpump is it goin out..
Old 09-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never heard of a water pump squeaking. Usually pumps whine.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

could be the tensioner pulley squeeking.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:34 PM

well yah thats wat i meant..whining or squeeking watever....im pretty positive its not the alternator belt squeeking...i know the sound of the belts squeeking...
Old 09-09-2009, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know of a pretty experienced older gentleman that used to post at another Honda forum who said he had heard a "chirping sound when cold and a high pitched whistle when hot" coming from his water pump just before it failed. Typically it is a failure of the pump's bearings, which is often traceable to using non-OEM coolant. How long in miles and years has the water pump been there?

Last edited by honda.lioness; 09-09-2009 at 05:07 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by honda.lioness
I know of a pretty experienced older gentleman that used to post at another Honda forum who said he had heard a "chirping sound when cold and a high pitched whistle when hot" coming from his water pump just before it failed. Typically it is a failure of the pump's bearings, which is often traceable to using non-OEM coolant. How long in miles and years has the water pump been there?
non-oem coolant? are you serious now. Honda coolant is the same ****ing **** as regular coolant. Its probably what the dealership told him so that he would buy coolant from them @ 3x the price.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jimster480
Honda coolant is the same as regular coolant
OEM coolant is silicate free or something like this. My experience with ordinary green Prestone and similar is a failed water pump. Many others attest to same. I have been using (as a now completed experiment) the orange Havoline Dexcool for the last seven years, with no problems. Dexcool packaging says it is "free of Silicate, Phosphate, Nitrite and Borate" and "meets or exceeds... Japanese car manufacturers' coolant requirements." If the OP has not been using either OEM or the orange Havoline Dexcool, then this is more evidence his water pump (bearings) are failing.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OEM coolant is silicate free or something like this. My experience with ordinary green Prestone and similar is a failed water pump. Many others attest to same. I have been using (as a now completed experiment) the orange Havoline Dexcool for the last seven years, with no problems. Dexcool packaging says it is "free of Silicate, Phosphate, Nitrite and Borate" and "meets or exceeds... Japanese car manufacturers' coolant requirements." If the OP has not been using either OEM or the orange Havoline Dexcool, then this is more evidence his water pump (bearings) are failing.
how long did it take for the pump to fail? because I have been running regular coolant since I got my car over a year ago and there are no problems.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how long did it take for the pump to fail? because I have been running regular coolant since I got my car over a year ago and there are no problems.
I've always grabbed whatever coolant is cheapest, and I guesstimate the mix (40-60%ish) and i've never had a problem. 88 toyota pickup, 91 civic, 88 crx, 95 supra, 06 wrx, 89 civic, 94 nsx, 94 civic... Just don't use tap water.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crazychickenhead
I've always grabbed whatever coolant is cheapest, and I guesstimate the mix (40-60%ish) and i've never had a problem. 88 toyota pickup, 91 civic, 88 crx, 95 supra, 06 wrx, 89 civic, 94 nsx, 94 civic... Just don't use tap water.
and youve never had any problems?
Old 09-09-2009, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

May 1993 to Nov 2002 -- Used cheap Prestone green anti-freeze, changing about per maintenance schedule.
Oct 1997 -- new water pump with timing belt change as part of normal maintenance.
Apr 1999 -- failed water pump
July 2001 -- failed water pump
Nov 2002 switched to orange Havoline Dexcool, changing every two years (but I am switching to three years or so). No water pump problems since.

I think it was the anti-freeze I was using. I can't say this with a 100% certainty, but given my experiences and others' with this, I am sticking with either OEM coolant or the orange Havoline Dexcool.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:30 PM

i honostly dont kno how long the water pump has been there...but today after a drive home from work, i noticed a very little coolant leak that was dripping under the oil pan on the water pump side...so im guessing its going out...i mite just upgrade to a gsr/itr and timing belt upgrade since its a stock ls one on there...any ruff estimate on how much everything will cost...
Old 09-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sevenfc
i honostly dont kno how long the water pump has been there...but today after a drive home from work, i noticed a very little coolant leak that was dripping under the oil pan on the water pump side...so im guessing its going out...i mite just upgrade to a gsr/itr and timing belt upgrade since its a stock ls one on there...any ruff estimate on how much everything will cost...
The leak seems to confirm your suspicion. My water pump leaked a little for a couple weeks (me watching the coolant level and having a jug of same in the trunk) back in 1999 and 2001, then I replaced it. But this is gambling. Replace the water pump a.s.a.p.

Are you doing the labor yourself? Part estimates may be had at www.bkhondaparts.com , among other OEM part dealers online. Unless you have more info about the timing belt, replace it, the tensioner, the cam seal, the crank seal and of course the water pump. Also if you have no idea how old the coolant is or what type it is, I would drain it, flush it (repeated fill and drains), and replace it with OEM coolant or the orange Havoline Dexcool pre-mixed or mixed with distilled water only.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:11 PM

yah i will soon replace it...in the mean time, how long did it take for u to replace it, going through the leak
Old 09-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sevenfc
yah i will soon replace it...in the mean time, how long did it take for u to replace it, going through the leak
Not sure I understand your question. Here is what I have in my Honda notes:
January 1999--Coolant reservoir was low; added a couple of cups of coolant.
March-April 1999--Heater had not been heating properly. Added another couple cups of coolant. Had water pump replaced. Heater worked fine forever afterwards.
January 2001--Added couple of cups of coolant.
July 12, 2001--While tires were being rotated on a rack at a repair shop, water pump was noted to be dripping some. Replacement of water pump was recommended.
July 25, 2001--Had new water pump installed.

So there were no sudden failures. I did not know enough back then to listen for noises from the water pump or think that a "couple cups" of coolant needed might be excessive. A little coolant being added each year is normal. Some is lost through normal operations. Also my Civic was in the northern U.S. during this period, which given the cold temperatures means one is a bit safer with a leaking water pump, especially about ten months of the year. In summer in places further south, I would not expect to be as safe.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:37 PM

if i were to upgrade to a gsr/itr waterpump, is it only the timing belt id need to change or is there something else...